diy solar

diy solar

Best Discharge rate for KiloVault® HAB 7.5kWh LiFePO4 for long life?

onokai

Solar Enthusiast
I have 2 of these batteries the past 18 months and am adding one more tghis next week. They are hooked up to a Sol-arc 12kw hybrid inverter . Right now they discharge down to 30% and then recharge off solar daily. The inverter will only let them go down to 30%. The 30% has worked very well for our needs but with a new battery added I could raise the % to say 40% and get more cycle life from them. They are rated at 6,000 cycles at 20% discharge. My question is am I better off at the 40% or leave it at the 30%. It looks like maybe another 1000 cycles at most? on the chart at alt-e on the hab 4 battery.
whats the thinking on this from battery folks?

As much as discharge depth affects cycle life, charge method can be more stressful.

A long slow charge to 3.45V/cell (5-6 hour absorption phase), which will attain 98%+ SoC is less stressful than charging to higher voltages.

Best general approach for improved cycle life: Discharge only as deep as you need and charge as slowly as you can tolerate to lower voltages.

I think you are mixing up your percentages between an SOC state-of-charge, and DOD depth-of-discharge, but it's cool I know where you're at. Just be mindful of the difference when starting out so that you don't set anything based on a reversed conception. :)

Yes, less discharge means longer life overall. However, that is based on a static assumption that your needs will NEVER change beyond what it is right now.

With that additional purchase, you'll either outlive the bank, or not worry if your loads grow a bit later.

Back