diy solar

diy solar

Best Economical way to gain a little more solar watts

kdsmith

This is what I have

Equipment: 4x100 watt panels in parallel. 2000 watt inverter, 30 amp Wanderer controller. all Renogy with 2 AGM batteries in parallel. I have this off grid in my outside work shed. It's working great for what I wanted it for but just testing the water on what can be improved for little more, say maybe an AC unit?

This is what I have

Equipment: 4x100 watt panels in parallel. 2000 watt inverter, 30 amp Wanderer controller. all Renogy with 2 AGM batteries in parallel. I have this off grid in my outside work shed. It's working great for what I wanted it for but just testing the water on what can be improved for little more, say maybe an AC unit?
Is this 24 volt or 12 volt?

The inverter may run a small AC unit. You could overpanel with 6 total panels for 12 volt, 12 total panels for 24 volt. The panels might be bought on Craigslist. Phoenix is good for Craigslist.

IMO panels is most economical.

From there, it’s just getting watt hours, wattage for your AC.

You would want to invest in an easy start for an AC. Doubling what you have now would barely operate a refrigerator. I wouldn't consider less than three times the panels for an AC and that would be for only short term use.

4 12volt 100aH lifepo4 barteries last us 2 1/2 to 3 hours for a 13.5 kbtu rv ac. Batteries are at 50 to 55% with 95 degree air temp and thermostat set at 86 to get room temp to 84 degrees. With the LiFePO4 I could go to 20% unlike your agm's.

I’m hoping the AC for this workshop is a window mounted 5 k BTU efficient air unit, maybe 500 watts.

A lot needs to be done for something bigger

You could overpanel with 6 total panels for 12 volt, 12 total panels for 24 volt.
I wouldn't overpanel with that 30A PWM controller. OP will need a new controller if adding more panels.
-But Yes, i agree the PV side of system needs upgrading to fully utilize the 2K Inverter. More panels with larger controller.

diy solar

diy solar
Back