diy solar

diy solar

Best Invention in the last 100 years that you use a lot

Best thing since buttered bread would imply a taste or in this case, a comfort improvement...
If you are going to add butter don’t forget the cinnamon sugar coating. We did this all the time growing up. Works great on a limited budget.

Best inventions, use a lot. Lets see:
In my world,
1. Internet: I use the Internet and youtube to assist me with things in minutes that were harder, took longer, and cost more 'back in the day' - repaired an automatic transmission myself using a forum and following a youtuber mechanic's content. (back in the day try to find a shop manual for the car your working on, pay a bundle to get it, and hope it does a good job of describing the proper steps, after a few years you need a room to store all the repair manuals) Youtube lead me to Will, lead to this forum, lead to my business 100% off grid and my home (next-door) soon will be.

2. Electronic payments: with secure electronic payment systems I order, ship, and recieve products from people half way around the world, I will never meet in person, daily. This seems under-rated but it is important for trade to have a means to pay each other securely and a method for getting compensated if the product arrives damaged or not at all.

3.Automation: The programing and controls systems we have today, allow automatic watering for my greenhouse and garden, starting and stopping ventilation, even open and closing a door for the chickens to get out into the pasture at the right time of day but only if not raining. There are so many automated ready to use products available, and if you want, just get a Pi or Arduino and set up your own custom controls. A nice option are the wall plugs that communicate via your I-Phone so anywhere you have internet connection, you can switch on/off the coffee pot with a tap of the screen.

- Funny but true story: my pens have electric fencing to keep bears/wolves/coyotes out, the fencing is off during the day and automatically comes on at night when these guys like to show up. On day when I was very far away, my wife texts me "Coyote in the yard trying to get in the chicken coop!" I pulled out my phone and click "ON" and text back "Electric Fence ON don't touch" a moment later she texts ' Coyote got Zapped good! he is gone now" Then I turned the fence back off, since my grand-daughter was visiting and didn't want her to touch the fence with it on. When during the last 100 years could this be a simple everyday kind of thing a person could do?

Best inventions, use a lot. Lets see:
In my world,
1. Internet: I use the Internet and youtube to assist me with things in minutes that were harder, took longer, and cost more 'back in the day' - repaired an automatic transmission myself using a forum and following a youtuber mechanic's content. (back in the day try to find a shop manual for the car your working on, pay a bundle to get it, and hope it does a good job of describing the proper steps, after a few years you need a room to store all the repair manuals) Youtube lead me to Will, lead to this forum, lead to my business 100% off grid and my home (next-door) soon will be.

2. Electronic payments: with secure electronic payment systems I order, ship, and recieve products from people half way around the world, I will never meet in person, daily. This seems under-rated but it is important for trade to have a means to pay each other securely and a method for getting compensated if the product arrives damaged or not at all.

3.Automation: The programing and controls systems we have today, allow automatic watering for my greenhouse and garden, starting and stopping ventilation, even open and closing a door for the chickens to get out into the pasture at the right time of day but only if not raining. There are so many automated ready to use products available, and if you want, just get a Pi or Arduino and set up your own custom controls. A nice option are the wall plugs that communicate via your I-Phone so anywhere you have internet connection, you can switch on/off the coffee pot with a tap of the screen.

- Funny but true story: my pens have electric fencing to keep bears/wolves/coyotes out, the fencing is off during the day and automatically comes on at night when these guys like to show up. On day when I was very far away, my wife texts me "Coyote in the yard trying to get in the chicken coop!" I pulled out my phone and click "ON" and text back "Electric Fence ON don't touch" a moment later she texts ' Coyote got Zapped good! he is gone now" Then I turned the fence back off, since my grand-daughter was visiting and didn't want her to touch the fence with it on. When during the last 100 years could this be a simple everyday kind of thing a person could do?
100 years ago, we'd have been there, no coyote problem. ;)

Yup. 100 years ago the farm wife would have pulled out the shotgun and 'tak'n care of that critter'.
Back in the early 80’s our ag class wall had a poster on it that read:
Eat more mutton, 50,000 coyotes can’t be wrong
This was in Newell, SD 1981 I think…
Only coyote I ever saw was wandering out in the field, approaching my cat who was stalking a mouse of something… neither animal was aware of the other, but we saw the coyote walking closer and closer… then POW! The cat went airborne, landed on the poor creature, and I bet he is still running!

Back