diy solar

diy solar

Best inverter for off-grid office

Mightymouse99

I built my wife an off-grid office about a year ago. It's gone pretty well so far except during stretches of 2 or 3 days with no/low sunshine. That doesn't happen very often where we live, but it does now and again. I would like to swap out the current inverter if I can find something that doesn't use so much power. The energy demands of the office are quite small and the inverter uses the most power of anything. Here is our current setup:

MPP Solar 24v inverter/charge controller (MPP LV2424)
(2) 12v 100ah LiFePo batteries in series
(3) 200w PV panels
Small breaker box with a breaker for the outlets and switches of the office

Loads:
PC Monitor (~18watts)
Laptop (~18-30 watts)
Composting toilet fan (~4 watts continuous)
Water pump for sink (breaker off except when using, ~20 watts when in use for ~20 seconds)
Lights (~24 watts, but she almost never turns these on)
Water kettle (1200 watts for about 4 minutes, 0-2 times per day

So the normal load is about 20-50 watts. The MPP inverter consumes at least 50 watts when turned on (supplying AC power).

So here's my question - Is there an inverter / charge controller setup (either one unit or separate) that will consume substantially less energy than my current setup (like 10 watts instead of 50)?

I'm hoping not to spend more than 600-700 on a new inverter/controller.
Thanks for any input!

To stay in the price range you want I would add 3 more panels instead, that unit will take 2000 watts of input and that may solve your issue on low pv days
you could run 3s2p with a basic branch connector easily

Back