diy solar

diy solar

Best parts for system?

janderson

My sister wants a solar system. She saw these panels used and was wondering out loud about buying 20 pieces:

SanTan Solar T Series 240W Cracked Vinyl Solar Panel $44.00​

• Rated Power: 240W
  • Open circuit voltage (VOC): 37.2 V
  • Max power voltage (VMP): 30.4 V
  • Short circuit current (ISC): 8.37 A
  • Max power current: 7.89 A
  • Power Tolerance 0/+3%
  • Maximum system voltage: 600V (UL)
  • Fuse Rating: 15 A
  • IP65 Junction Box w/ standard solar connectors

We can fabricate mounts for the panels so that not an issue.

Am I correct that these panels would be good for a 24V system? What would be a good trouble-free controller(s)? Are the SOK 206AH, 12V batteries the best value in a low-maintenance, hi-performance system? Is there something better?

Any pointers would be really appreciated.

It won't matter what the panel voltage is with an mppt controller as long as it's within the working range of the controller.

I like and recommend victron :)

Ok. How does this look?:

(20 pieces) SanTan Solar T Series 240W Cracked Vinyl Solar Panel $44.00/ea (around $1050 with shipping)

(1 piece) Victron | SmartSolar MPPT RS | 450v 100~200A $1296.25 (minimal shipping)

(1 piece) SOK rack mount 100A, 48V $1789

Of course there are mounts, cables, misc, hardware, etc. Am I missing anything significant?

Last edited:
Do you have the knowledge and skills to install that and get permits and interconnection agreement?

Will not be connected to the grid in any way. This would be the only power in farm outbuildings.

If I can draw a clear schematic of where I want to go, I don't believe there will a problem. Would I need a shunt to monitor battery I/O?

I don't believe there will a problem. Would I need a shunt to monitor battery I/O?
A shunt is a useful tool to help diagnose problems. Most quality inverters include internal shunts. You will need a plan to manage power from one season to the next and on cloudy days when the sun doesn't shine.

Back