diy solar

diy solar

Best Solar Panel setup for the roof of a 8.5 x 24' trailer (mobile tiny home)

EastFalcon

What are the best solar panel setups for a trailer where you have a 8.5x24 area to cover. Also if anyone has some type of setup where you can slide out additional panels form underneath, Please share. Ideally we have an array in the middle and 2 sliding arrays that come out on the left and right side. Goal would be to get about 4-5 KW of solar.

What are the best solar panel setups for a trailer where you have a 8.5x24 area to cover. Also if anyone has some type of setup where you can slide out additional panels form underneath, Please share. Ideally we have an array in the middle and 2 sliding arrays that come out on the left and right side. Goal would be to get about 4-5 KW of solar.
Multiple ways to go about it. Check out the typical sizes of 60 and 72 cells panels (or 120/144 if half cut)
For example, my 370w 120 cell panels are 41x70
This gives you an idea of how to maximize roof space and orientation.
With a 24’ trailer you could mount 2 columns of panels and 4 rows (with panels around my size) for 8 panels directly roof mounted.
Alternatively, if you mounted them all in portrait you’d only fit 7 panels side by side.

I’m currently building a similar set up. My challenge with additional panels that slide out is that it’s a challenge finding industrial weight slides that extend 6+ ft and can support the weight.
Although you bring up an interesting thought of pulling a tow roadside and a row curbside.
If you did this with the 2x4 panel orientation you could “pull” 4 panels out each side which would then also function as an “awning” nearly 4’ wide per side and allot you 16 panels on the roof.

I replaced my roof vents with maxxfan maxxair minis as they are fixed and don’t “tilt open” so that I could mount my panels above the vent with minimal clearance.
IMG_1268.jpeg

Back