diy solar

diy solar

Best system for RV

More important is the size so they can fit on top of the RV without shade. I was on top of my RV with cardboard cutouts to see what fit the best.
That's the big key. Get a ladder and a measuring tape and figure out how many panels you can physically fit as you're going to want ALL of them that can go up there. The bigger the panel the (slightly) higher the energy density and less mounting hardware required. Unless you've got a lot of vents and stuff up there try to avoid the standard 100w panels from everyone and see about just fitting a few larger panels.

It's important to measure your RV roof carefully to determine how many solar panels you can fit. You should also consider the size and weight of the panels when making your decision.
Larger rv solar panel typically have a higher energy density, which means they can produce more power per square foot. They also require less mounting hardware, which can save you time and money on installation.

Last edited:
Larger solar panels typically have a higher energy density, which means they can produce more power per square foot. They also require less mounting hardware, which can save you time and money on installation.
Is there a rough calculation for this? Take a 400w panel or (4) 100w panels. I wonder the difference in weight versus power.

Larger solar panels typically have a higher energy density, which means they can produce more power per square foot
I disagree with this statement for an RV build. I think 100 watt panels are better because they fit in a jigsaw puzzle and more can be put up.
. I wonder the difference in weight versus power.

I see things like 22% efficient versus 18% efficient, which means 20% more efficient, but I doubt you could fit 20% more bigger panels up there.

I also don’t think the mounting hardware weight that much.
——————
My planning number is 180 watts per meter squared production for a 100 watt panel which is about as efficient the area of the panels divided by the wattage rating.

I’m going to chime in with our current idea of what is getting installed in our 23’ DIY camper(full time starts next year!). For starters, it’s cheaper and more energy dense to build a battery bank. 48v seems to be the meta. Maybe 24v if our layout doesn’t permit a massive, single battery bank. But 12v isn’t going to be space efficient.

Next, roof Solar isn’t efficient unless you can actively change the panels angle towards the sun. So DIY suit case style 200w (2x 100w) panels appears to be our best option with 600-1000w on roof. So almost 2kw of Solar total if not more.

Then a big hell no to AIO units. The idle consumptions alone is a deal breaker. So probably sticking with using victron components individually to keep idle down and keep up efficiency.

A big power consumer is A/C. 12v or 24v rooftops are a no go for us. Initial cost is already too high compared to an inverter mini split. Plus the mini splits use like 2-300w to maintain temps vs a rooftop using about twice that constantly.

Propane for cooking and water heating. A small diesel tank for a diesel heater for any cooler periods of time.

We’re also installing a small propane/gas generator as a back up. Even if we rarely use it, it’s a nice safety net.

Just our current plans! So hope that helps

I don’t specifically recall. I know my 12V MPPSolar is usually ~26W but has been 18W sometimes. There’s a thread here somewhere where people post their idle draws. Fairly consistent on the repeat models / different users iirc.
But things like 6548 varieties are ~80W ish though iirc there are similar capacities with lower consumption.

I don’t specifically recall. I know my 12V MPPSolar is usually ~26W but has been 18W sometimes. There’s a thread here somewhere where people post their idle draws. Fairly consistent on the repeat models / different users iirc.
But things like 6548 varieties are ~80W ish though iirc there are similar capacities with lower consumption.
Okay thanks I’ll do some digging. I love the idea of the AIO units just the idle draw adds up and the ones I’ve found seem to be 50w and up.

I have an AIO, It runs a load 24/7, so it is never in standby mode, but when it does it idles at 50w and that bumps up to 70-90w .... with my starlink running the battery sees a load between 120-145w. The Starlink uses 35-70w

Sigineer M4830NC 48v 3kw

Back