diy solar

diy solar

Best "universal" connector for DC systems?

sbsyncro

OK so I'm new here but I'm assuming this question may spark a fierce debate. I hope it is fun and informative, and I apologize if the debate gets too hot (I hope it won't!). If this has been covered before, please feel free to verbally scold me if you're also willing to post a link to the best thread covering the topic. :)

I have such a mishmash of different DC connectors between my systems in my Jeep and my camp trailer that it's time to start standardizing. My external connectors are all SAE (with waterproof covers over the panel mount receptacles) and most of my interior stuff is Anderson Power Pole, but I also have some DC5521 and Dometic/ARB type connectors. Thankfully I have gotten rid of most of the MC4 connectors, but still have to deal with them at times when I might have to borrow someone else's solar panel (or loan them one of mine which are all converted to SAE).

If you were to pick a single type of connector for all your DC wiring where you need a removable connector, what would you use? Assume the requirements as follows:

1. Must handle 15 amps at 12v nominal
2. Must offer a weather-proof panel mount receptacle of some sort
3. Must be a secure vibration-proof connection but also withstand repeated "plugging and unplugging"
4. Must be resistant to (or prevent entirely) polarity switching
5. Typical uses will be between solar panel and "extension cable" and panel mount on trailer (that goes to charge controller), "Y" connector for multiple solar panels, etc.

Photo for interest... (its the wiring in the tongue box of my trailer but doesn't feature any connectors!)

IMG_5415%20%282%29.jpg

Last edited:
3. Must withstand repeated "plugging and unplugging"
5. Typical uses will be between solar panel and "extension cable" and panel mount on trailer (that goes to charge controller), "Y" connector for multiple solar panels, etc.
I use Anderson Powerpole.

I got introduced to them through my Lion Energy Portable panels that have them attached.

The requirement for a weather proof mount actually eliminated a lot of other canidates for me.

I made a variety of expansion cables with these PowerPoles.

I use these for up to 66 volts.

OK so I'm new here but I'm assuming this question may spark a fierce debate. I hope it is fun and informative, and I apologize if the debate gets too hot (I hope it won't!). If this has been covered before, please feel free to verbally scold me if you're also willing to post a link to the best thread covering the topic. :)

I have such a mishmash of different DC connectors between my systems in my Jeep and my camp trailer that it's time to start standardizing. My external connectors are all SAE (with waterproof covers over the panel mount receptacles) and most of my interior stuff is Anderson Power Pole, but I also have some DC5521 and Dometic/ARB type connectors. Thankfully I have gotten rid of most of the MC4 connectors, but still have to deal with them at times when I might have to borrow someone else's solar panel (or loan them one of mine which are all converted to SAE).

If you were to pick a single type of connector for all your DC wiring where you need a removable connector, what would you use? Assume the requirements as follows:

3. Must withstand repeated "plugging and unplugging"

Photo for interest... (its the wiring in the tongue box of my trailer but doesn't feature any connectors!)

IMG_5415%20%282%29.jpg
If I Use DC plugs it’s Anderson Powerpole.
Or you could use MC4.

Last edited:
15A max 12V? Cigarette lighter plug. Literally designed for this purpose although not weatherproof when plugged in. If needing weatherproof I'd go with the battery charger type rubber plugs.

I try to stay with anything I can buy locally at like a walmart... even if it means buying some battery charger just to cut the cable and get the end. Seem to always break something

XT -60's are very popular, or you could use a 12v cigarette lighter plug if you want it to be intuitive and recognizable to other people.

Do you need it to be load-break rated?

No - assume all loads are properly fused at the power source

Other comments:

Cig lighter is not sufficiently secure (they wiggle loose) and are not weather-resistant (though one can get weather resistant receptacles with a rubber cover). They are also not well-suited for things like joining a solar panel to a charge controller, for exaple

Anderson Power Pole meets most of the requirements but I have not yet seen a flush panel-mounted receptacle that is weather proof (mounted to the outside of a trailer tongue box to allow for plugging in a solar panel, for example). If I could find a really nice rubberized weather-resistant panel mount receptacle, APP would be the winner, in my opinion

MC4 connectors are great for "semi-permanent" installations but fail the "repeated plugging and unplugging" test and also don't offer any sort of panel-mount receptacle

I like the Deutsch DTP (and I use them for wiring lights and whatnot on my Jeep) but I have never seen a good weather-proof panel mount solution that was flush to the panel. If there is such a thing I think I would go this route (or APP if I could find a panel mount).

The ONLY reason I use SAE connectors is (1) they are ubiquitous and (2) flush panel mounts with a weather cover are plentiful and easy to obtain.

Last edited:
I havent 'cycled' an XT type connector enough to know how they hold up to repeated plugging/unplugging, but if one didn't want to mess with the Andersons for reasons of weatherproofing, that would be my next go-to. I have some XT90s ive pushed 55amps through for long periods and been ok. I have some 50a style andersons that ive pushed 70 amps through for a while and been ok. For a 15a load i think the Xt60 would be good, no point going smaller imo.

I honestly think MC4s are pretty good for what they are, they're just a hassle with the tool requirement and being a single-pole connector requiring you to disconnect multiple connectors instead of one multi-terminal connector.

I really like XT style connectors, but much like APP connectors, the only panel/bulkhead mounts I have seen are 3D printed and lack weather-proofing (no attached weather cover or sealing).

I stayed away from the XT connectors because I did not like soldering the XTs versus crimping a Anderson Powerpole.

I much prefer crimping to soldering.

I have several power stations and portable panels that all use different plugs so I got a universal adapter from Amazon.

PAEKQ 6-in-1 Solar Panel Adapter Connectors Solar Splitter Cable with Anderson Connector DC 8mm 55221mm 7909mm 6530mm 35135mm Adapter XT60 Connector for Solar Portable Power Station

I don't have a 1 size fits all solution, because I have different needs and different DC voltages. I want to also make sure I can't (easily) accidentally connect a 12v DC device into a 48v DC device, or a 300v DC device (like a panel array)

I use 30a anderson powerpoles for 12v stuff, that is used indoors or non-weather areas.

I use XT60 and XT60W connectors for 48v stuff (depending on if it needs to be waterproof or not)

I use MC4 for "permanently" or "mostly permanent" solar arrays.

I use automotive SAE connectors for portable solar panel arrays.

So as an example.. I have a portable ham radio setup.

My ham radio, amplifier, tuner, SCC battery connection, and 12v battery use 30a anderson powerpoles (to a windcamp powerpole distribution block).
The connection from foldable solar panel to SCC is SAE automotive connector. This prevents me from accidentally connecting my 24v solar panels to the 12v bus.

I don't have a 1 size fits all solution, because I have different needs and different DC voltages. I want to also make sure I can't (easily) accidentally connect a 12v DC device into a 48v DC device, or a 300v DC device (like a panel array)

I use 30a anderson powerpoles for 12v stuff, that is used indoors or non-weather areas.

I use XT60 and XT60W connectors for 48v stuff (depending on if it needs to be waterproof or not)

I use MC4 for "permanently" or "mostly permanent" solar arrays.

I use automotive SAE connectors for portable solar panel arrays.

So as an example.. I have a portable ham radio setup.

My ham radio, amplifier, tuner, SCC battery connection, and 12v battery use 30a anderson powerpoles (to a windcamp powerpole distribution block).
The connection from foldable solar panel to SCC is SAE automotive connector. This prevents me from accidentally connecting my 24v solar panels to the 12v bus.
Sounds a lot like my situation. I also carry a variety of home made adapter cables to be able to inter-operate with other peoples' gear when necessary.

Perhaps there is no universal solution...

Sounds a lot like my situation. I also carry a variety of home made adapter cables to be able to inter-operate with other peoples' gear when necessary.

Perhaps there is no universal solution...

Yep.

The ham radio community has collectively decided to do anderson powerpoles. The RC community has settled on XT60/XT90 connectors, etc etc.

I use Anderson Powerpoles for all use-cases that don't need a waterproof bulkhead connector. For waterproof high-amperage/high-voltage connectors, I'm trying out these aviation-style connectors that are IP65/IP67-rated, and good to 50A @ 500V: https://www.cnlinko.com/Products/189

(I'm going to probably make an adapter cord from a LP-28-2 connector to MC4, one to SAE, etc. to connect to various panels)

I use Anderson Powerpoles for all use-cases that don't need a waterproof bulkhead connector. For waterproof high-amperage/high-voltage connectors, I'm trying out these aviation-style connectors that are IP65/IP67-rated, and good to 50A @ 500V: https://www.cnlinko.com/Products/189

(I'm going to probably make an adapter cord from a LP-28-2 connector to MC4, one to SAE, etc. to connect to various panels)
Hah! I used those exact same connectors for a diesel heater system I put together. I used a 5-wire version for the control/thermostat lead to plug into the case I built for the heater so I can run it up into my roof top tent on my trailer. Very nice engagement between the pieces.

I use Anderson Powerpole.

I got introduced to them through my Lion Energy Portable panels that have them attached.

The requirement for a weather proof mount actually eliminated a lot of other canidates for me.

I made a variety of expansion cables with these PowerPoles.

I use these for up to 66 volts.
Have you found a good panel mount with a weather cover for APP? The only thing I've ever seen (and tried) are 3D printed ones and they are NOT impressive.

Trailer Vision sells some Powerpole housings, at e.g. Powerwerx here in the USA:

I don't know if you can buy their "flush mount" here yet, though:
I'm wrong, actually; you can: https://powerwerx.com/trailer-vision-tvn-333820-50-sb50

Back