diy solar

diy solar

Best "universal" connector for DC systems?

Trailer Vision sells some Powerpole housings, at e.g. Powerwerx here in the USA:

I don't know if you can buy their "flush mount" here yet, though:
I'm wrong, actually; you can: https://powerwerx.com/trailer-vision-tvn-333820-50-sb50
Yes, I've seen those - I wish they made one just like it for the 15-amp...

wait a minute... it looks like they do now!

Eureka, I think I have found the solution....

MC4 connectors are great for "semi-permanent" installations but fail the "repeated plugging and unplugging" test and also don't offer any sort of panel-mount receptacle

I used these Solar Bulkhead Connectors for my Board Build to connect MC4 cables from the PV panels. I have no major issues with the MC4 connectors. The only minor issue is I have an MC4 connector that came on one of the panels that always sticks and requires a tool to get it to disconnect.

I use Anderson Powerpoles for all use-cases that don't need a waterproof bulkhead connector. For waterproof high-amperage/high-voltage connectors, I'm trying out these aviation-style connectors that are IP65/IP67-rated, and good to 50A @ 500V: https://www.cnlinko.com/Products/189

I have a CNLinko 50 amp 2-pin plug installed on the exterior of my camper to provide DC power. It works well and I've considered switching my SAE connector to another CNLinko connector. They aren't cheap at all, that's for sure. Very good quality.

I like the Deutsch DTP (and I use them for wiring lights and whatnot on my Jeep) but I have never seen a good weather-proof panel mount solution that was flush to the panel. If there is such a thing I think I would go this route (or APP if I could find a panel mount).
You never specified flush panel mount in your original post. You can get aftermarket flush mount receptacles for DTP connectors.

Attachments

• 0021832B-3DA1-4238-AEE9-E963781A6715.jpeg
    0021832B-3DA1-4238-AEE9-E963781A6715.jpeg
    300.5 KB · Views: 3
That looks like something that was 3D printed. Do they offer a weather cover?
Yes it’s 3D printed, I don’t know if they make a weather cover. I normally use panel mounts, and have them protected in a recess

MC3. Depending on wire, I think 15A or 20A. 600V.
Non-locking and weatherproof rubber boot.
Nicely machined and plated contacts, like genuine Stabuli MC4, not the cheap MC4-incompatible knockoffs.

MC4, you do see a bad (protruding, fragile) "panel mount" sometimes one on combiner boxes, using the nut on other side of panel.

MC4 latches can be cut off. Then only contact friction retains it.

Back