diy solar

diy solar

BEWARE: Enphase IQ7A micros may have misbehaving firmware that needs updating.

EnerGenie

In mid-June 2021 my 34-panel array started producing power. It was built with new Hyundai 370W. panels and pre-owned Enphase micros. The micros were IQ7AS and SPWR-A4 (Enphase rebrands their IQ7A micros for SunPower with those ,and perhaps other, designations) I bought 8 IQ7AS (2018 date-codes) and 26 SPWR-A4 (2019 and 2020 date-codes). While the stickers on the micros may say IQ7AS or SPWR-A4, when they are scanned by Envoy, they all show up as being IQ7AS.

I created 4 arrays , labeled as follows: (They are all mounted on the same roof plane 180° azimuth)

West Panels (8 IQ7AS micros)
Roofdoor Panels (9 SPWR-A4 micros)
Skylight Panels (9 SPWR-A4 micros)
East Panels (8 SPWR-A4 micros)

I noticed that the "per panel" production was less on the panels with the SPWR-A4 micros (built in 2019 and 2020) than the West Array which had the 8 IQ7AS micros built in 2018

I decided to install an inexpensive Emporia monitoring system on the sub-panel of my 4 arrays. The Emporia can monitor and plot the data in 1 second intervals. While I could not monitor each panel (like Enphase Enlighten), at least I could see the aggregate output of each array.

This is what I saw: The leftmost graph is the total output of all 4 arrays, followed by the 4 readings from the individualized arrays:

1644115636774.png

1644112980856.png
You notice that only the West Panel array had a smooth output, while the other 3 arrays (and the Total output ) showed power drop-outs "glitches". All the graphs are synchronized and represent a 5 minute time-frame.

Since I installed all of my micros in my floored attic, I was able to swap the micros very easily. All of the wiring takes place on the roof rafters where the micros are attached (see picture below)

1644113440031.jpeg

When I swapped the West array micros with the East array micros, the problem followed the micros. This eliminated my panels and wiring from the equation.

I then contacted Enphase and the agent looked at my system and could find no problems and said everything was operating correctly. I then did some more testing

• I put a DC clamp-on current meter on the outputs of each panel while watching the second-by-second Emporia plot on my phone. I could see the DC current would be about 8.39 Amps , drop to ZERO and then recover a few seconds later to 8.39 Amps. This happened in sync with the Emporia plot. The output did not glitch on the array with the IQ7AS micros made in 2018.
  • Only 3 of the 26 SPWR-A4 micros did not have the power dropouts. No drop-outs on the
  • I observed that the glitches did not occur in the early morning until later in the morning when the panel output were about 70 Watts.
  • It was not temperature related because the glitches would disappear when intermittent cloud cover reduced the outputs of the panels below 70 watts during any time of the day
  • I downloaded different "grid profiles" to all micros, but that did not eliminate the problem
  • I measure the dc voltages from the panels and all were well within the specifications on the datasheet.
  • I monitored the panels from 11:00 to 4:00 PM (when no panels are shaded) and I found that the panels with the glitching micros were losing 10% of their production. This corresponded with the duty-cycle of the glitches
I then posted my results on the Enphase moderated "blog". My complaint was boosted to "level 2" at Enphase
I talked to the "LEVEL 2" representative and was told they could find nothing wrong or no pending firmware upgrades. They said that they could not trust the plots I shared with them from EMPORIA, a 3rd party device. I was frustrated and given the contact information of the Enphase Field Representative for my location.

• I sent multiple emails to the Enphase Field Representative.......NO RESPONSE
  • I researched the patent data-base and then contacted that engineer at Enphase.......NO RESPONSE
  • I found the CEO's email and other top ENPHASE staff and sent them my data............NO RESPONSE
  • I called SunPower (because Enphase tried to "pass the buck") and they confirmed that they have nothing to do with the microinverter design and firmware
  • I added more data of this problem to the ENPHASE Community Blog
I kept on searching the internet for any solution, but none was to be found.
FINALLY on July 12th, (a month after I discovered the problem) an Enphase Engineer/moderator in Australia saw my blog and fixed the problem!!!!! Before I got up in the morning, he had facilitated updating the firmware in my micros. I watched the Emporia plots as the outputs of the panels approached the 70 Watt "glitching threshold"........NO MORE POWER DROP OUTS!!

What troubles me is that these were micros which were originally installed on panels (somewhere) and they had to be unknowingly misbehaving on that installation. Enphase probably shipped millions of these with the firmware that had this problem. I would have thought that Enphase would have immediately known how to resolve this when I first called them in JUNE.

I encourage others to install an Emporia monitoring system!

The problem is not special in Enphase IQ7+ also. You are lucky because you have fixed with FW update.
BUT, my case, never fixed. still have an issue.

IF do not mind, can I know your firmware information ? version and build date

Similar situation - when I contact them
(1) one T2 engineer said : no problem found, no error or no drop
(2) one T1 support said : normal operation - red blinking is normal ?
(3) one T2 engineer said : put into RMA
- RMA team said, it can be happen when sunrise & sunset, they really do not watch the data and care it situation, it is happening any time in a day and whole day
(4) one T2 engineer said : he will rise the issue again - NO reponse

one of guy suggest to me personally, Enphase will never fix the problem till the inverter is dying completely.
do not waste a time, and not just you.

I believe it should go on Class Action Sue.

Note : i have bought and installed Emporia Monitor while testing the issue when envoy is turn-off. just can find the issue from Event Log at Envoy. there is 'Grid Instability' + 'No Grid Profile' error.

Last edited:
Hi,

I can't believe they won't resolve the ensure by downloading new firmware as they did on my micros. The firmware upgrade was done , unaware to me, when an Australian Enphase Engineer saw my issue. Yes, it took a month of denials before a competent Enphase Engineer put eyes on my complaint.

My micros were "pulls" from panels that were sold to me on Ebay. That means they were once installed on SunPower panels and would have this same problem. Perhaps millions of micros may have this problem. My system has been working much better since the firmware upgrade. Using my Emporia, the problem would happen once the output of the panel exceeded 70 watts. It was not related to heat.

March has been my best month since installing my system in June of 2021. While the daily sunlight is not at it's peak, the colder temperatures during this time of year are giving the panels about a 10% efficiency boost. I have 34 , 370 Watt panels, so 12.58 kW would be the absolute most that could be expected (11.90 kW based on the 350 Watt clipping limit of the micros). You can see from the attached image, I was getting 12.46 kW after the sun came out from behind a big cloud and the panels cooled down. In the Houston sun, the panels can lose about 7% during the peak sun hours , because of losses due from heating.

I looked on my Enlighten app , on the PC , and can find a way to see the "build number" and firmware version. Where do you find that information?

Best Regards
Roger

Attachments

• WeChat Image_20220330120917.jpg
    WeChat Image_20220330120917.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 5
Hi,

I can't believe they won't resolve the ensure by downloading new firmware as they did on my micros. The firmware upgrade was done , unaware to me, when an Australian Enphase Engineer saw my issue. Yes, it took a month of denials before a competent Enphase Engineer put eyes on my complaint.

My micros were "pulls" from panels that were sold to me on Ebay. That means they were once installed on SunPower panels and would have this same problem. Perhaps millions of micros may have this problem. My system has been working much better since the firmware upgrade. Using my Emporia, the problem would happen once the output of the panel exceeded 70 watts. It was not related to heat.

March has been my best month since installing my system in June of 2021. While the daily sunlight is not at it's peak, the colder temperatures during this time of year are giving the panels about a 10% efficiency boost. I have 34 , 370 Watt panels, so 12.58 kW would be the absolute most that could be expected (11.90 kW based on the 350 Watt clipping limit of the micros). You can see from the attached image, I was getting 12.46 kW after the sun came out from behind a big cloud and the panels cooled down. In the Houston sun, the panels can lose about 7% during the peak sun hours , because of losses due from heating.

I looked on my Enlighten app , on the PC , and can find a way to see the "build number" and firmware version. Where do you find that information?

Best Regards
Roge

Not in enphase.app, if use PC, can see more detaenil device information at ( enlighten.enphaseenergy.com )
or can get the information from Envoy. My firmware version is v04.28.

the first page - Status - Dvices on Right side - Micro-inverters
there is a Firmware version numbers

I have hared the failure inverters in the used market. Some inverters are minor loss, Some inverters are fixed with firmware updates.
but, Some inverters are not, the failure is happening because of bug of firmware.
it not related with GRID condition (voltage/frequency) or Temperature.
Just the software bug which making a random reset because some error related with HW or SW.

Not in enphase.app, if use PC, can see more detaenil device information at ( enlighten.enphaseenergy.com )
or can get the information from Envoy. My firmware version is v04.28.

the first page - Status - Dvices on Right side - Micro-inverters
there is a Firmware version numbers

I have hared the failure inverters in the used market. Some inverters are minor loss, Some inverters are fixed with firmware updates.
but, Some inverters are not, the failure is happening because of bug of firmware.
it not related with GRID condition (voltage/frequency) or Temperature.
Just the software bug which making a random reset because some error related with HW or SW.
None of the 34 "second hand" micros (I bought off of Ebay for $60 each) have failed. The 2018 versions did not have the problem, 90% of the 2019, and 2020 versions had the "drop outs" when panel output exceeded about 70 watts.

I will have to get the firmware version from using the Installers toolkit, when I get a chance

None of the 34 "second hand" micros (I bought off of Ebay for $60 each) have failed. The 2018 versions did not have the problem, 90% of the 2019, and 2020 versions had the "drop outs" when panel output exceeded about 70 watts.

I will have to get the firmware version from using the Installers toolkit, when I get a chance

Attachments

• micro firmware.jpg
    micro firmware.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 23
You are lucky if you have got a good inverters,
anyway, firmware version of your device & my device are same,
I think the lot in 2019 version has an issue, my devices serial number is starting as 121944xxxxxx. I guess, 2019 versions.
One of replace version is 202040xxxxxx, not sure why this version has the other serial number.
When I have contacted on T2 at Enphase, one of engineer said it has been happen due to the bug of firmware. (combined cause from HW/SW).
and will solved after firmware updates, and my inverter's firmware has updated.
BUT, unfortunately, Nothing different before/after firmware update, Inverters are replaced for solving my issues.
I feel, Enphase is not much responsible on their product failure, and Enphase do not honest on their fault (or some engineer no brainer).
Even believe or not, they should try to find a concern and solution, but, their staffs are not much active on the problem.
anyway, the good news is the most guys are free from the issue after upgrade firmware.
but, some of them are in trouble.
Just keep collecting an evidence for future.

I have made a system to track it,

and, I am collecting/saving all PV information now.

You are lucky if you have got a good inverters,
anyway, firmware version of your device & my device are same,
I think the lot in 2019 version has an issue, my devices serial number is starting as 121944xxxxxx. I guess, 2019 versions.
One of replace version is 202040xxxxxx, not sure why this version has the other serial number.
When I have contacted on T2 at Enphase, one of engineer said it has been happen due to the bug of firmware. (combined cause from HW/SW).
and will solved after firmware updates, and my inverter's firmware has updated.
BUT, unfortunately, Nothing different before/after firmware update, Inverters are replaced for solving my issues.
I feel, Enphase is not much responsible on their product failure, and Enphase do not honest on their fault (or some engineer no brainer).
Even believe or not, they should try to find a concern and solution, but, their staffs are not much active on the problem.
anyway, the good news is the most guys are free from the issue after upgrade firmware.
but, some of them are in trouble.
Just keep collecting an evidence for future.

I have made a system to track it,

and, I am collecting/saving all PV information now.
I was correctly advised once; to take it out of the 'Hard to Do pile' for other people and put it in the 'Easy to Do plie'.

I am loving the commitment, ingenuity and enthusiasm you are showing on this matter, however as someone prone in depth description, I wonder if you, like me, might get a more positive result if you now take all this and put it in the 'Easy to Do' pile?

Frankly there's a shed load of info and I doubt many people will take the time to work all the way through it all.

I happen to be looking at an apparent issue while setting up and testing my Solar installation and my issue seems very similar to what you describe and in essence I want to see, if in deed, the issue affecting my Zero Export Grid Profile and PEL discrepancies, plus the possible IQ Microinverter dropouts are just my own inexperience, mis-configurations or indeed a Firmware type issue.

To boil down all your excellent investigation work as succinctly as possible, it would be ideal to see a summary of 'How to' check the IQ7+ Firmware first and foremost and then if in the 'suspect' list, take it from there,

SGadd IQ7+ Firmware.JPGI am very surprised that a firmware updatable product can be shipped out worldwide with potentially a US Grid Profile as the default? I am in Wales, UK and all my IQ 7+ units are 'FR' French (I'm guessing).

Like so many electronic devices, if they won't manage their firmware responsibly for us, then who knows - maybe it will become hacked via the Powerline communication ports (unless the Russians or Chinese get in there first :) ) and we will hopefully learn to change the firmware ourselves.

Keep up the good work.

Last edited:
I was correctly advised once; to take it out of the 'Hard to Do pile' for other people and put it in the 'Easy to Do plie'.

I am loving the commitment, ingenuity and enthusiasm you are showing on this matter, however as someone prone in depth description, I wonder if you, like me, might get a more positive result if you now take all this and put it in the 'Easy to Do' pile?

Frankly there's a shed load of info and I doubt many people will take the time to work all the way through it all.

I happen to be looking at an apparent issue while setting up and testing my Solar installation and my issue seems very similar to what you describe and in essence I want to see, if in deed, the issue affecting my Zero Export Grid Profile and PEL discrepancies, plus the possible IQ Microinverter dropouts are just my own inexperience, mis-configurations or indeed a Firmware type issue.

To boil down all your excellent investigation work as succinctly as possible, it would be ideal to see a summary of 'How to' check the IQ7+ Firmware first and foremost and then if in the 'suspect' list, take it from there,

View attachment 92922I am very surprised that a firmware updatable product can be shipped out worldwide with potentially a US Grid Profile as the default? I am in Wales, UK and all my IQ 7+ units are 'FR' French (I'm guessing).

Like so many electronic devices, if they won't manage their firmware responsibly for us, then who knows - maybe it will become hacked via the Powerline communication ports (unless the Russians or Chinese get in there first :) ) and we will hopefully learn to change the firmware ourselves.

ep up the good work.

I feel, your problem is not an issue from the firmware bug,
Two inverters have not reporting day from 27 Apr 08:06pm/10:56pm (I feel, some timezone issue)
The data has captured on28 Apr 2020 12:24pm
* you may need to fix to show the right local timestamp.

Anyway, the 5 min production drop issues are happening on IQ7 inverters (mostly IQ7+).
( http://www.bomijoa.com/www/index.php?mid=blog&document_srl=2832 )

IQ7+ 520-00082-r01-v04.27.04/10 firmware has known as 'Grid Instability' + 'No Grid Profile' error.
and, issues are improved (solved) for some case at firmware version 520-00082-r01-v04.28.07/03.

To find your problem, I recommend to check the Envoy's Event Log
You can connect your envoy using AP mode of Envoy and Installer Toolkit V2.xxxx (NOT V3).
and, check event logs, there are more detail information.

Two inverters have not reporting day from 27 Apr 08:06pm/10:56pm (I feel, some timezone issue)

Anyway, the 5 min production drop issues are happening on IQ7 inverters (mostly IQ7+).

IQ7+ 520-00082-r01-v04.27.04/10 firmware has known as 'Grid Instability' + 'No Grid Profile' error.
and, issues are improved (solved) for some case at firmware version 520-00082-r01-v04.28.07/03.

You can connect your envoy using AP mode of Envoy and Installer Toolkit V2.xxxx (NOT V3).
Cheers for that, the two inverters not reporting are deliberate:

I am testing them for standalone battery storage integration which so far is working great - now that I have a metered Envoy and I have used a grid profile to use PEL at Zero Export (Except that it is currently Importing/idling at around 45w? presumably because my meter config is a tad off or there is an offset that I need to make to get it closer to 0w).

Seems too good to be true, but to a lay person like me it appears that I can attach batteries of differing sizes and capacities (12, 24v, 36, 48 and 52v and whatever amps, that can produce between 0-60v per IQ7+) and they will contribute individually or combined as functioning solar panels, at full efficiency, on demand, day or night?

I'm hoping of course to avoid spending thousands on Enphase, Tesla or the other 'supported' AC coupled storage solutions.

I'm obviously missing something here, but so far so good.

Cheers,

Steve.

Cheers for that, the two inverters not reporting are deliberate:

I am testing them for standalone battery storage integration which so far is working great - now that I have a metered Envoy and I have used a grid profile to use PEL at Zero Export (Except that it is currently Importing/idling at around 45w? presumably because my meter config is a tad off or there is an offset that I need to make to get it closer to 0w).

Seems too good to be true, but to a lay person like me it appears that I can attach batteries of differing sizes and capacities (12, 24v, 36, 48 and 52v and whatever amps, that can produce between 0-60v per IQ7+) and they will contribute individually or combined as functioning solar panels, at full efficiency, on demand, day or night?

I'm hoping of course to avoid spending thousands on Enphase, Tesla or the other 'supported' AC coupled storage solutions.

I'm obviously missing something here, but so far so good.

Cheers,

Steve.

I understand as you want a back-up batteries to save an energy at day time, and use it at night.
Unfortunately, there is no cheap solution.
Anyway,

You are using Enphase system already, it is AC system. so, you need an AC Coupling solution.
Basically, AC Coupling means, (1) switching box (2) inverter + charger (3) battery.
some hybrid inverter includes a switching box feature, so, you need to buy an battery inverter which can support AC coupling mode.
Maybe Schneider XW Pro -or- SW can be a economical solution for you

Grid tie invert will need Reference AC to generate power, mostly Grid voltage.
IQ8 has a self reference feature, and it may support what you want to use with battery.
you need 36V or 48V battery system to use the battery as a solar panel.
Actually, Enphase AC battery system has IQ8(?) inverters inside of case to support an output.

I understand as you want a back-up batteries to save an energy at day time, and use it at night.
Unfortunately, there is no cheap solution.
Anyway,

You are using Enphase system already, it is AC system. so, you need an AC Coupling solution.
Basically, AC Coupling means, (1) switching box (2) inverter + charger (3) battery.
some hybrid inverter includes a switching box feature, so, you need to buy an battery inverter which can support AC coupling mode.
Maybe Schneider XW Pro -or- SW can be a economical solution for you

Grid tie invert will need Reference AC to generate power, mostly Grid voltage.
IQ8 has a self reference feature, and it may support what you want to use with battery.
you need 36V or 48V battery system to use the battery as a solar panel.
Actually, Enphase AC battery system has IQ8(?) inverters inside of case to support an output.
Sorry we maybe misunderstanding each other;

Are you saying that the battery storage integration that I am already testing is unsuitable for some specific reason?

I fully expect and understand that perhaps it should not work for whatever reason,

But so far it appears to be working perfectly and without the need for any expensive kit, except of course for some dedicated (or even by sharing by use or existing switched, dual connected) Enphase IQ Microinverters).

Based on my limited testing of it so far, I can create extremely cheap and highly adaptable hybrid storage using pretty much any combination of odd DC batteries this way, I'd liken it to the old RAID method in computing where you use an Array of Inexpensive Disks, but in this case using Inexpensive Batteries...

I am now looking for a cheap and practical way to bring the storage online automatically at night to make dual use the microinverters so that they can both produce energy as intended during the day and convert the DC battery to AC at night whilst also separating and protecting the micro inverters from overvoltage (I've just received my Automatic Transfer Switch off Amazon). But all looks to be achievable so far (Your access to your IQ 7's in your roof space make it ideal for you to try).

Like I say, I'm just waiting for the bubble to burst and to find the impediment that makes this endeavor impossible. But here's hoping.

Attachments

• IQ7+ as AC battery coupled storage using scooter batteries etc.jpg
    IQ7+ as AC battery coupled storage using scooter batteries etc.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Presumably this relates to my IQ7+ issue and states a firmware revision fix later than my current version? So hopefully it should receive the update automatically soon?

Attachments

• 1651178935771.png
    1651178935771.png
    73.2 KB · Views: 12
I am now looking for a cheap and practical way to bring the storage online automatically at night to make dual use the microinverters so that they can both produce energy as intended during the day and convert the DC battery to AC at night
A hybrid inverter with an internal transfer switch should be able to do that. It needs to have a self consumption or time of use mode and be capable of AC coupling to your micros. That is the most practical way but that functionality is not cheap. You don't need a separate transfer switch.

Back