diy solar

diy solar

Enphase IQ7x Micro Inverter FW Update

offthehook

Not sure how many of these are out there in an off-grid setting. But my 45 panel setup was updated to FW ver: 520-00082-r01-v04.40.01 on 09FEB2024 which has completely SOLVED the issue I was having for several years with regard to power factor issues.

My setup is a dual Sol-Ark 12k and 45 Panasonic panels with IQ7x micros. For the past several years I've mitigated flickering and UPS relay clicking whenever the solar production was limited due to clouds or sunrise/sunset. The mitigation was to eliminate one of the four strings (~11 panels) until the production of the remaining units exceeded some threshold. Note: Although the main issue was low production, the issue was also caused by various loads even when in full solar production ie, the clothes dryer could also affect the PF of the micros.

It is hard to describe the relief I feel that the system is finally operating the way it should. It also has the added bonus of more production since I can keep all 45 panels active regardless of power level. I also removed all of my logic necessary to control string connections etc.

Just wanted to post this in case there are others out there who have been struggling with Enphase IQ7x. I had requested assistance on their community forum years ago, with no solution. I'm not sure why it took this long to fix the issue, but better late than never.

Just wondering how you went about controlling your strings? Did the lights flicker all the time or just here and there? The have definitely changed the way they handling the "Anti-Islanding" on the IQ8s. It used to be that they way they did this they would never allow the inverters to actually produce power when running off grid behind most hybrid inverters. I think LED lights are very sensitive to frequency variations. The Anti-Islanding apparently tries to push the micro grid off it's current phase. This won't work when you are on grid. If they are able to change the phase (which means you are also changing the frequency), they decide you are not on grid and disconnect. The problem is it is too sensitive and they were going off line even when behind a hybrid inverter . They solved that issue about 2 months ago. I have IQ8s, so it might have been a different version number for those inverters. They apparently just updated everyone. You didn't have to ask.

Since my Schneider system doesn't use the Gen input, it cannot just disconnect the PV when the Battery SOC is high. I was able to accomplish the same thing by building myself a small control panel and driving the logic from the Aux relay ports on the Schneider. Each inverter has one port so I can program them separately. I use a 240 volt relay tied to the grid for an additional signal.

So basically when the grid is on run all the strings.
When the grid is off and SOC > x1, strings 1 and 2 turn off
When the grid is off and SOC > x2 string 3 turns off

For now, I am planning on x1 ~= 90% and x2 ~= 95%

The relay settings on the Schneider are a little more complicated than just raw SOC. They are sticky. So I can trigger at say 91% and release at 89%. This just keeps the systems from short cycling too much. I have 15 KWHs of storage so 2% is about 18,000 Watt minutes. If I am charging at 3000 watts it should take about 6 minutes to raise the charge level by 2%. After that it takes another 5 minutes for the micro inverter to requalify the AC.

It's not done yet. I have it further along than in this picture. It has indicator lights on the front panel and I even added a current monitor for each string. This should keep the AC coupled PV from over powering the system.

Maybe I could also make the grid indicator light blink?

Attachments

• 20240308_143258.jpg
    20240308_143258.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240308_143316.jpg
    20240308_143316.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240308_143321.jpg
    20240308_143321.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 1
I'm interested in playing around with an IQ7 microinverter and I'm not sure how one connects to it.

Specifically, what hardware was involved that allowed you to update the firmware on yours? Do I need that $700 box or is there some other method? And if I do pay $700 for a gateway can I use it standalone or is it just a box to communicate back to the mothership/enphase?

I'm ok with paying for something I need but if I need to pay $700 to have the ability to configure or reflash my $60 experimental microinverter then I may have to change what I'm hoping to accomplish here 😉

Enphase uses Power Line Modulation to communicate with the microinverters via the IQ Gateway connected to your network. This is how all the data and firmware updates are passed.
I belive the microinverter will produce power if connected to a suitable PV and a qualified source of AC even without the Gateway but there will be no means of communication.

Last edited:
I'm interested in playing around with an IQ7 microinverter and I'm not sure how one connects to it.

Specifically, what hardware was involved that allowed you to update the firmware on yours? Do I need that $700 box or is there some other method? And if I do pay $700 for a gateway can I use it standalone or is it just a box to communicate back to the mothership/enphase?

I'm ok with paying for something I need but if I need to pay $700 to have the ability to configure or reflash my $60 experimental microinverter then I may have to change what I'm hoping to accomplish here 😉
You can get a used iQ Envoy for < $700 but you definitely need one to update firmware.

Back