diy solar

diy solar

Bifacial solar panels - Can I install them on a regular roof?

flashmark

Hi,

I'm going to buy 540W solar panels and I'm going to install them in house roof (Asbastoes sheet roof)
There are two options at the moment.

1. Bifacial solar panels: - JA 540W. 10 years product warranty. Same price.
2. Monofacial Panels - JA 540W 12 years warranty Same price

Bifacial solar panel - back side
1677607333712.png

Bifacial solar panels:front side
1677607350543.png

There is no difference in price, should I go for bifacial solar panels?

Are there any durability or any other issue in Bifacial solar panels? There is a threat of monkeys in my area.

What's your opinion?

Thanks

Bi facial have front and back glass.that roof is going to be really hot. And you won't gain anything from the rear face, unless it's lifted from the roof a bit.
I'd go with the mono for longer warranty.
And be very concerned about driving screws into asbestos.

What he said. I would say atleast 20-30cm up from the roof but the gains will be less than mounted on a groundmount with Bifacials. Even better with bifacials in snow conditions or white gravel on the ground under a groundmount.

I agree with the others. The gains will be minimal if any that close to a roof. Go with the standard panel. A ground mount situation is ideal with bifacials. I wouldn’t have any issues drilling into an asbestos roof by the way, the stuff lasts forever. Just resist the urge to lick it.

Break pads have had asbestos for decades. People still change their breaks. The stuff is deadly. But there is a a bit of overreacting people have done over the years about it.

I am getting bifacials on my shop roof only bc they were the same price or better as mono and I have heard they tend to perform better in cloudy weather. They also have a 30 year rating vs the 25 on the mono. So for me it seems to make sense.

I am getting bifacials on my shop roof only bc they were the same price or better as mono and I have heard they tend to perform better in cloudy weather. They also have a 30 year rating vs the 25 on the mono. So for me it seems to make sense.
If your roof is white you may see some gain. Otherwise it’ll be little to none. That cloudy day thing is really a ground mount advantage. But if the warranty is better. Why not. ??‍♂️

If your roof is white you may see some gain. Otherwise it’ll be little to none. That cloudy day thing is really a ground mount advantage. But if the warranty is better. Why not. ??‍♂️
Its a metal shop roof that is silver (galvanized aluminum). I dont think I will have good spacing on the roof to get any benefit on the backside as the entire roof will be covered. Its 32 480w panels.

Do you think these are good quality? BiHiKu 5 480w. The company I went with said they could get them cheaper than regular Tier 1 panels like q cells. I have a previous topic i posted around the cost for all this and another post just asking about those panels as I haven't seen them before.

Water spray bottle if you're going to drill asbestos. Keep that location wet to prevent dust from floating. And where a respirator while doing it.

Minimal effort, excellent prevention of dust entering your airway which is the real concern with asbestos. It's really no different from handling fiberglass insulation. Just keep it out of your lungs.

Hi,

I'm going to buy 540W solar panels and I'm going to install them in house roof (Asbastoes sheet roof)
There are two options at the moment.

1. Bifacial solar panels: - JA 540W. 10 years product warranty. Same price.
2. Monofacial Panels - JA 540W 12 years warranty Same price

There is no difference in price, should I go for bifacial solar panels?

Are there any durability or any other issue in Bifacial solar panels? There is a threat of monkeys in my area.

What's your opinion?

Thanks

I thought my 700W bifacials were indestructible until I broke 4mm drill bit and a small 1-2mm piece of it hit my panel almost one meter away and broke the glass. Didn't see that coming. I mean you can walk on them.

Asbestos and monkeys? Awesome. Maybe securer them with lead expansion bolts? (chuckle)

Where do you live? Sounds interesting.

I’d not go with bifacial unless you can take advantage. I don’t think they will be more monkey proof. Unless they can get to the backside in which case I’d put all wires in nicely done rigid conduit.

Back