diy solar

diy solar

Bluetti SP120 extension cables

Leo3

Solar and Wiring Newbie
I bought AC200 and 2x SP120 panels. The idea is if you’re camping under trees you can put panels in sun out away from camp. So I think I need extension cables from panels to AC200. Right? What cables do I get? I didn’t see any affiliate links on Will’s site.

How long of MC4 cables do you need?
10 AWG should be ok.
I probably need 20-30 feet. Situation would be RV is parked in shade and portable power station is near the RV. Or in case of home backup power, the panels are in yard and bluetti is inside.

Had the same question. Reached out to Bluetti... 4.7 meters.. (15ft) is the total length between the cables on the panel and the cable provided with the AC200.

Yeah Bluetti said “the MC4 solar charging cable that comes with the AC200 is 1.7 meters. If you buy the Bluetti SP120 (120W solar panel), there is 3 meters MC4 cable included.“
So should I just get on amazon and search for “MC4 extension cable” and make sure it’s 12 or 10 guage? Also I wonder if Hobotech has an affiliate link for an extension cable. I wouldn’t mind supporting him too.

I did the same thing and bought the AC200 with 2 solar panels. Here are the stats on their SP120: 120W, Voc 23.7V, Vmp 19.8V, Isc 6.66A, Imp 6.06A.

As I understand it in series circuits the voltages are additive, and in parallel circuits the amperage is additive. So if I want to add more panels to this setup and stick with one large series circuit, I need to find panels close to the same amp rating. Should I be looking at Isc or Imp? And if whatever I find isn't exactly the same, it'll default to the current of the lowest common denominator, right?

I also see that the AC200 has a max current of 12A. If you go over that, does it stop working and throw an error code?

I see some other 100W panels out there that are right around 6A, so it seems like the easiest thing to do would just be to add a few more of those into the series circuit with the Bluetti ones.

I also see that the AC200 has a max current of 12A. If you go over that, does it stop working and throw an error code?
12A is Not the max current that cuts anything off with an error code.
Volts x Amps = Watts
You can safely connect more than 700 watts of panels to the AC200 and it wont stop working.
Exceeding the Max input of about 150Voc will give you an error code and shut off if it is like their other models.

The AC200 has a built in 12A MPPT SCC.
You will not see stand alone SCCs with Max by their amp or watt rating
That's a Bluetti failing that they say 150V instead of 150Voc and this Max Amp and Max watt confusion to their customers.

Bluetti should have specs for over panelling but this is a company that proudly claims 2500 cycles throughout their sales sites while omitting that is to 50% capacity which is basically dead.
Very dishonest that they don't use an 80% capacity cycle life which they now claim is 1200 cycles.

Another MC4 extension question: I just realized if I really want a 30' extension cable, I actually need two cables. That sounds messy. Can I use something like this double 10 ga wire in one shield, if I want to make my own? I was just going to buy connectors and crimper so I'd have it future use. There is also this.

Another MC4 extension question: I just realized if I really want a 30' extension cable, I actually need two cables. That sounds messy. Can I use something like this double 10 ga wire in one shield, if I want to make my own? I was just going to buy connectors and crimper so I'd have it future use. There is also this.
Did you end up figuring out the extension cable thing? If so, what did you do?

Did you end up figuring out the extension cable thing? If so, what did you do?
I bought 100’ of cable and MC4 connector and crimper kit. I try to use affiliate links. I think I got the cable from Will’s page and crimper set from RV with Tito. Then I made two 30’ cables. I still have 40’ of cable left for later.

Back