diy solar

diy solar

BMS options for tesla prismatic battery

dufas1

Hi there,

I have recently brought a barely used Tesla 30Kwh battery pack, it has the prismatic cells. The cost of lithium batteries from local solar companies is extremely expensive here, about 3x the cost of this battery which had only done 300miles in the car.

We would like it to power our small rural property, I am struggling to find a supplier for the BMS.

I am an electrician but new to this technology and would very much appreciate some expert advice and hopefully to purchase a BMS.

We are starting with a 12Kw solar array then adding a 4Kw wind turbine as we can afford it. We live in a windy spot in the hills and it’s more consistent than the sun!!

I don’t intend to be grid tied as it has become a real hassel with the supply companies.

The Battery has 106 cells at 3.2V each.

I hope to make a 48V system using 15x cells in series, that’s 7x 48V packs in parallel, leaving one cell left over.

Here in New Zealand we have 240V AC per phase to neutral (415V phase to phase) and 50Hz.

Any suggestions on which charger/inverters would talk to your BMS and work with our voltage?

We use approx. 2kwh constantly on average with times of high load, the property has two phase so I would be looking at two single phase inverters.

The windmills have their own controllers and sizeable load dump control.

Heli 4.0 kw on-grid Windgenerator iSTA-BREEZE | eBay

4000W 48V Charge Controller Ista-Breeze | eBay

Please any help would be very much appreciated, if this is outside your scope could you recommend other supplier’s?

Many thanks for your time

Kind Regards

Craig

I would look at Batrium - they are an Australian company. The bms will be expensive. You would probably want to email or call them to get the best configuration.

Or seven 48v bms’s in parallel. Might also be an option- I just don’t know ones that will do 15s (most are 16s).

Good Luck with your project.

I would look at Batrium - they are an Australian company. The bms will be expensive. You would probably want to email or call them to get the best configuration.

Or seven 48v bms’s in parallel. Might also be an option- I just don’t know ones that will do 15s (most are 16s).

Good Luck with your project.
Thank you for replying, much appreciated.

Hi Dufas1.
There is a company that has developed a sort of babelfish - it sits between your inverter and your Tesla pack, and tells the Tesla pack that its in a car (ie talking to the car's ModBus or CanBus system), and tells the inverter that the battery is a standard PowerWall/Dyn/SunPower/SunVault/Whatever. It implements the minimum protocols to keep everyone happy. I don't remember the name sorry, or what protocols it supports exactly.

That seems to be the way the industry is going - a translation layer rather than changes to the car battery packs, so that way you (might) still have a warranty.

I realise this doesn't solve the battery voltages vs inverter requirements, but it does solve the problem of needing to hack into the battery to replace the BMS

Back