diy solar

diy solar

Build battery bank using 48V 20ah LiFePo4

M3Solar

Hi everyone, apologies for being the new guy and asking possibly a complex question, but I'll ask for your forgiveness to start and state that I am willing to do whatever learning is necessary but getting pointed in the right direction would be immensely appreciated. I tried doing a bit of research myself to see if this has been directly discussed before and I did not come up with much. Please pardon if what I am asking is too general or vague, I am more than happy to answer follow-up questions as needed. I am a software developer with very basic EE knowledge from my time as an embedded software engineer.

Recently, a friend of mine gave me a 48V 20ah LiFePo4 battery pack and I wanted to see what path forward I may have to make a battery bank that is both powered from a wall outlet (my home already has solar :) ) as well as portable solar panels. The pack, from what information I can gather online, contains 32700 LiFePo4 cells. There is one input and one output for the battery pack itself. The input uses a 58.4V 4A power adapter (that I have) and also has an output connection (currently it has what I believe is called an Anderson plug on it).

What I would ideally (and yes I realize maybe this isn't all possible) is use said battery and make a large bank I can take with me while camping or for power outages since we get a lot of those during the monsoons. So, my first question is whether I need to tear down the pack and convert it in to a 12V battery or leave it as is but use a 48V converters to whatever voltages I need at each outlet.

Second, in my dream world I would like to make something that is akin to a Jackery-type power bank and will take any suggestions for parts/brands. I understand there will need to be some sort of BMS as well as any inverters necessary for other power outputs (IE: 120V plugs). It would be nice to have 12V out, 110/120V out (standard US plug) and USB out. A screen of sorts would be great and 110V wall and solar panel in.

I realize this turned in to a huge question, but even if I'm able to piece together enough information over various responses I'll be thrilled. Thanks in advance for any and all advice/help.

Back