diy solar

diy solar

Building a backup system help

dahluwalia

So I would like to put a system together that would run my 240v well pump and water heater and refrigerator. I know this would be a large system and more like a whole off grid system. I didn't want to go off grid or get permits to sell back to grid. I just want to be able to take a shower if the grid went down an run a refrigerator and limited light. I thought about putting a system that will run my well pump all the time ,and if the power went out I could turn on some other circuits. Is this or any of the thought doable ? Where would the planning start of so

Yes I do have just 8 100 ways now. I also have a sungold 24 v 3000 watt inverter ,charger.I think everything I have is too small and may have to start over

I dont have to do the water heater..I really started wanting a backup of the grid went down.I would use very minimal alliances.I really would like to run the well pump.Then I thought for all the expense it would a shame not to put it to work to earn its keep it the grid doesnt go down.I thought about running my well pump of solar all the time and have a sedate dedicated panel for house stuff. Any ideals

Define your needs for the well pump. Does it need power any time of the day or night? Or can you run it once a day to fill up a tank?

How many watts is the pump? How many minutes a day does it run?

I would like it to be able to run at need ,but could settle for be able to turn it on and fun while turning off other load while in use.

Man I'm looking at well pump amps and looks like 4-6I watts plus start up ,wow . That is a high setup I bet. What like 48v 12kw ? With how many battles and panels. For that investment it would have to be more than backup , it would have to run some things to pay for itself . I solved my backup heat problem with a new install wood stove .But this water problem is tougher

Man I'm looking at well pump amps and looks like 4-6I watts plus start up ,wow . That is a high setup I bet. What like 48v 12kw ? With how many battles and panels. For that investment it would have to be more than backup , it would have to run some things to pay for itself . I solved my backup heat problem with a new install wood stove .But this water problem is tougher
That 6k LF inverter i sent you above can surge to 18000 watts for 20 seconds to start the well pump. Thats why you want an LF. After pump startup, its easy. I run my well on a Aims 4k LF no problem, 24v.

Pump loads are momentary, thats what the batteries are for. Your panel array can be smaller assuming you have all day to catch back up.

Water heaters just draw too much power for too long. Thats where you need more panels to handle the constant draw.

That 6k LF inverter i sent you above can surge to 18000 watts for 20 seconds to start the well pump. Thats why you want an LF. After pump startup, its easy. I run my well on a Aims 4k LF no problem, 24v.

Pump loads are momentary, thats what the batteries are for. Your panel array can be smaller assuming you have all day to catch back up.

Water heaters just draw too much power for too long. Thats where you need more panels to handle the constant draw.
Out of curiosity, would an on demand water heater work?

Personally i would only recommend a propane on demand water heater.
Propane is wonderful and seems really efficient in my RV.
I am amazed at how long I can run my propane heat, water heater, fridge, and stove in my RV. When we first got the RV, I thought the gage was broken because it seemed to be stuck on full. My wife thought I was crazy when I was excited to see the gage drop to 3/4 full. :p

I was just wondering for those that have only electric on an RV or in a house.
I guess for a house pretty much anyone can get a propane tank, but there are RVs with no propane.

Back