diy solar

diy solar

Building a small factory LiFePo4 in Beirut

Nabil Gebrael

1st of All, Thank you Will Prowse. I enjoyed your well informative videos.

I am a business man on a mission to build solar systems for poorer small homes in Beirut Lebanon , the people who needs it the most.

I want to keep the cost to a minimum, so I am wondering if I can save money by building my own LiFePo4 factory locally.

Any advice on how to proceed. I am up to speed on the Hybrid solar systems and the basics of how to build your own LiFePo4 battery.

Ideas on what the components needed and where to buy them from would be great, along with any other advice.
Nabil Gebrael
+961 3 288 606 (WhatsApp)
Gebrael.Nabil@gmail.com

I dont know all that much about manufacturing of lithium cells, but I imagine that if you are going for cheaper systems, a lead acid recycling and remanufacturing center could work well. It could also create local jobs.

Take old car batteries, melt them down, and make super low maintenance deep cycle cells. Its probably easier and more cost effective than trying to compete with Chinese mega-factories. Plus, you won't need a BMS, won't have to worry about low temperature, and could source raw materials (used lead), and labor, locally.

That's cool that you want to help people, I hope that you can make a difference!

I am a business man on a mission to build solar systems for poorer small homes in Beirut Lebanon , the people who needs it the most.

I want to keep the cost to a minimum, so I am wondering if I can save money by building my own LiFePo4 factory locally.

Any advice on how to proceed. I am up to speed on the Hybrid solar systems and the basics of how to build your own LiFePo4 battery.

Ideas on what the components needed and where to buy them from would be great, along with any other advice.
Nabil Gebrael
Gebrael.Nabil@gmail.com
Do you mean actually manufacturing the cells, or just assembling cells into larger battery packs?

Assembling cells into a 12v 24v 48v batteries or manufacturing individual cells from scratch?
Assembling. Since shipping takes a long time. I can ship all the components that I need to build 12v 24v 48v, and here I can build them quickly and as needed.
We have a major electric power urgency coming upon us. And I need to move fast. Thanks

Assembling cells into a 12v 24v 48v batteries or manufacturing individual cells from scratch?
Assembling. Since shipping takes a long time. I can ship all the components that I need to build 12v 24v 48v, and here I can build
I dont know all that much about manufacturing of lithium cells, but I imagine that if you are going for cheaper systems, a lead acid recycling and remanufacturing center could work well. It could also create local jobs.

Take old car batteries, melt them down, and make super low maintenance deep cycle cells. Its probably easier and more cost effective than trying to compete with Chinese mega-factories. Plus, you won't need a BMS, won't have to worry about low temperature, and could source raw materials (used lead), and labor, locally.

That's cool that you want to help people, I hope that you can make a difference!
I don't know anything about recycling lead acid battery. I will look into it. And videos to watch. I
quickly and as needed.
We have a major electric power urgency coming upon us. And I need to move fast. Thanks

Thanks. I don't know anything about recycling lead acid batteries. I will look into it. Any videos?

Thanks. I don't know anything about recycling lead acid batteries. I will look into it. Any videos?
1. Please explain the urgency, you definitely have my attention with that statement.

2. If you search YouTube for "lead battery remanufacturing", you will get some good results.

However, I was assuming you wanted to make batteries from scratch. If you just want to assemble them, I would start by contacting a manufacturer of LiFePO4 cells (Winston, CALB, CATL, Eve, Fortune, Lishen) and arranging for a bulk order. Shipping is painfully slow now, it may take a while to get a large order. Same goes for BMS units.

1. Please explain the urgency, you definitely have my attention with that statement.

2. If you search YouTube for "lead battery remanufacturing", you will get some good results.

However, I was assuming you wanted to make batteries from scratch. If you just want to assemble them, I would start by contacting a manufacturer of LiFePO4 cells (Winston, CALB, CATL, Eve, Fortune, Lishen) and arranging for a bulk order. Shipping is painfully slow now, it may take a while to get a large order. Same goes for BMS units.
Urgency.
1. The fuel subsidy for the power generation companies will be lifted soon, within a year or two. Price of electricity will become much higher. Easily 5 to 10 times the cost of today.

2. Unless we have a one-sided government. One dominant political party in control, the arguing will continue and reform will not happen.

3. Lifting the Fuel subsidies affects the local neighborhood back up generators coverage, since the electric company cannot produce enough electricity for the country. As is today, the eldiven company cover about 6 hours a day, generators about 12 hours, and now the entire country is experiencing 6 hours of blackout, no electicity at homes. At different times during the day and night.

So homes must come up with their own power generating systems which are not dependent on fuel.

What makes it worse is the devaluation of the currency. It lost more than 90%of its value. So more than 50% of the people are now below the poverty lines.

Sorry to bore you with the details. But you asked ?

Thanks for your interest

Nabil

I will start contacting these cell manufacturers.

What are the components that I should be buying?

Bms,
What else?

Thanks
N.

I will start contacting these cell manufacturers.

What are the components that I should be buying?

Bms,
What else?

Thanks
N.
Copper ( bus bars + Cabling (( internal + External)
breakers

as you'll be assembling , you need powersupplies to perform a top balance op the cells

Crimping/shinking and strip tools

Copper ( bus bars + Cabling (( internal + External)
breakers

as you'll be assembling , you need powersupplies to perform a top balance op the cells

Crimping/shinking and strip tools
perhaps a couple cheap load testers, as well. Or maybe some proper load testing equipment depending on your scale.

Nabil Gebrael
Gebrael.Nabil@gmail.com
Hello Nabil,
On the bms side of things there is an open source project into UK called diybms see

This could allow you to move some of the value chain to Lebanon. To localise completely you'll need to find a PCB(circuit board) fabrication company or else you'll have to order from companies like jlpcb https://jlcpcb.com/
There slot of discussion on diybms on the following forum https://community.openenergymonitor...gory&context_id=21&q=diybms&skip_context=true with lots of people who are willing to advise.

Best of luck / Colm

Hello Nabil,
On the bms side of things there is an open source project into UK called diybms see

This could allow you to move some of the value chain to Lebanon. To localise completely you'll need to find a PCB(circuit board) fabrication company or else you'll have to order from companies like jlpcb https://jlcpcb.com/
There slot of discussion on diybms on the following forum https://community.openenergymonitor...gory&context_id=21&q=diybms&skip_context=true with lots of people who are willing to advise.

Best of luck / Colm
i just wish my soldering skills were much better, i really do love stewarts work, he also had a shunt out to go with this.

why cant i solder ?

taking some time to learn a little about soldering helps, too. the different tools, sponges, cleaning braid, different solder tips are all good to understand how and when to use.

taking some time to learn a little about soldering helps, too. the different tools, sponges, cleaning braid, different solder tips are all good to understand how and when to use.
unfortunatly i physically lack the hand eur coordination to solder really small parts...

anyway , stewart is well underway building a nice pcb fabrication machine, hopefully one day i will be able to order a kit directly with him

unfortunatly i physically lack the hand eur coordination to solder really small parts...

anyway , stewart is well underway building a nice pcb fabrication machine, hopefully one day i will be able to order a kit directly with him
Practice practice practice... And get the right tools for the job ?.

Once I got a set of "helping hands" my soldering skill level jumped up quite a bit. Even the tiniest shake in my hands was amplified down the iron, solder, or component. With the helping hands, it's not an issue anymore, and I can even do SMD's.

It's an absolute must-have for anyone who wants to learn to solder. I KNOW that you could do it if you decided you were going to!

Back