diy solar

diy solar

Maybe I should cut off the Grid Connection and build a small system?

OffGridForGood

Catch, make or grow everything you can.
I bought a 50 Acre property, about 20 miles from my home. It has grid connection with 200A panel in a 2000 sqft insulated but unheated cold storage building.
240 foot deep well, 1Hp 240v well pump,
old style flourescent lights (yeah LED's are on the list).
The property has Grid connection that basically costs $40.00 CAD per month for using zero power, ie $30USD per month/ $360.00 USD per year.

It would be easy enough to build a small isolated off grid system but to be cost effective, I would want that system to be able to run the well pump, and some hand tools (skill saw/battery chargers, lights etc. without the grid. The total cost would need to be no more than 6-7 years of just paying the utility rate - lets say 2500 USD max budget. The building is unheated, so I need either heated box with LiFePO4 in it, or AGM. And since the batteries are the expensive part of any build, the AGM make better sense likely.

For the discussion, lets say my max power use is a day at this location:
Lights 1.2kW x 6 hrs, 7kWh
Well pump peak may need 6kW for starting, but will only use 1kWh of energy,
chargers and misc items lets say 2kWh

10kWh of storage, peak starting 5-6kW.
lets' ignore the PV for now, since a very small PV input would easily charge the system during long periods between site trips.
What could I build for $2500 or do I just leave it on the grid?

I bought a 50 Acre property, about 20 miles from my home. It has grid connection with 200A panel in a 2000 sqft insulated but unheated cold storage building.
240 foot deep well, 1Hp 240v well pump,
old style flourescent lights (yeah LED's are on the list).
The property has Grid connection that basically costs $40.00 CAD per month for using zero power, ie $30USD per month/ $360.00 USD per year.

It would be easy enough to build a small isolated off grid system but to be cost effective, I would want that system to be able to run the well pump, and some hand tools (skill saw/battery chargers, lights etc. without the grid. The total cost would need to be no more than 6-7 years of just paying the utility rate - lets say 2500 USD max budget. The building is unheated, so I need either heated box with LiFePO4 in it, or AGM. And since the batteries are the expensive part of any build, the AGM make better sense likely.

For the discussion, lets say my max power use is a day at this location:
Lights 1.2kW x 6 hrs, 7kWh
Well pump peak may need 6kW for starting, but will only use 1kWh of energy,
chargers and misc items lets say 2kWh

10kWh of storage, peak starting 5-6kW.
lets' ignore the PV for now, since a very small PV input would easily charge the system during long periods between site trips.
What could I build for $2500 or do I just leave it on the grid?

I would keep it connected if it isn't much and you never know when you might need it.

I can recommend the Vmax Tank AGMs and they lasted me 10 years but you still want that insulated box for them.

If you install a preheat RV style tank you can use a small propane OD water heater and cook and heat with wood or propane.

LED lights to replace incandescent.

Just ball park but a 3000 watt inverter, 40 amp MPPT controller, 6 of the Vmax 125Ah or 3 of the 200Ah LLFP and 1-2Kw of solar should do it.

$300 for the inverter, $150 for the controller and $300 a piece for the Vmax or $600 each for LFP.

That is $2250 if you use the AGM or $2250 with LFP.

I have to think about the AGM vs LiFePO4 for this location, LFP are not happy left at full charge for long periods of time, and this site may sit all winter without a visit. It would be nice to have consistancy with my other batteries but not if it drives the cost too high. Just thinking about it, no rush for a decision.

Last edited:
I have to think about the AGM vs LiFePO4 for this location, LFP are mot happy left at full charge for long periods of time, and this site may sit all winter without a visit. It would be nice to have consistancy with my other batteries but not if it drives the cost too high. Just thinking about it, no rush for a decision.
I had electrical service to my property when I moved back but they wouldn't connect it because I wasn't building "code" home.

So I told them to shove it and installed solar.

A few years back they showed up and removed the transformer saying they needed it somewhere else.

I still have the power pole and loop in my yard and I use the pole for my 400 watt wind turbine.

Haven't paid a utility bill in 20 years.

Oh and the buzzards love my wind turbine!

Buzzard wind turbine.jpg

So a couple things to think about battery-wise:

LFP's don't like to sit full all the time, but AGM's require it for best health, so if you get krappy weather for any amount of time the natural drainage from cold will damage the AGM batteries.

Usable watt per usable watt, LFP with cold protection is the same price as AGM's because of the DoD requirements of 50%. The AGM's will calender age out long before the LFP's.

Both the up-front costs are about the same, so LFP's are the better option.

LFP would mean I can match with other batteries I already have,
LFP would mean I get to play with setting up a heating and charging system, learn a few things from that experience.
LFP would be best not fully charged, sitting long periods, limit the winter production with just a few PV panels =lower cost
Set up comms to allow charging and discharging cycles, monitor remotely, too bad that area has limited service, and star link is too expensive for this.

Back