diy solar

diy solar

Building the sickest ® VAWT ever. Brilliant minds unite please!!

incredible.
look what just arrived while I was quoting the A-Team

1711628060552.png
Now please do not expect immediate results as I will need some time to wrap my head around how to wire this machine.

And on a more sad note I am not sure that 3Kw is going to cut it :) I mean I have 11KW to spend so why not?!! hhaha then the costs would be just no longer justifiable other than showing off. Which I like sure but nah there needs to be a middle ground between showing off and just getting things done in a practical manner!

{1}it was damned heavy too. What a bad timing for me to have gone through my back yesterday. It is as if there are higher powers trying to tell me something :( {/1}

Last edited:
Hahahh I have no clue still. I tried Ai to unraffle what you meant there but it just comes up with

"""Transition Training" in aviation is a form of specialized training required for pilots moving to fly aircraft that are more complex or have higher performance than what they're used to""
Even though I told it to take into account the location that comment came from which I will not share here for obvious reasons.

{1}hahah found it!!!. yeah no Bali is still on top of mind :) {/1}

Found it?

Employers in California are required to provide training to their employees. Those of us who supervise in any capacity, including working with an intern, are provided more advanced training.

Once upon a time, such things were newsworthy.

Found it?

Employers in California are required to provide training to their employees. Those of us who supervise in any capacity, including working with an intern, are provided more advanced training.

Once upon a time, such things were newsworthy.

I am not angry about what you wrote brother. I am angry that woke politics are still trying to destroy commen sense. But I am happy to report that there is a slow yet strong back swing in the pendulum. give it some time and then the "wokesters" are going to become out of style for the youngsters easy to be indoctrinated.

I have been cool at one point here in this thread that should stay non political when I was confronted with biologic(sexual) binary arguments. Even though I think mother nature has been very clear about how things work. I recently started to take her more serious.
And I will remain to do be lenient to all that not feel properly defined. But in the end of the day. This thread is my bubble that should be without anything of that. It is just sometimes I just snap and want my own space back. Like for the times things were still defined by mother nature.

So sure at times we all say somethings at sometimes that crosses the line in a slight way. That is all fine. Just let us all make sure that it never blows up like it can on the tick tocks out there.

If there are any parents with young children reading this. Please tell me how you protect your offspring.

Last edited:
As I like to say, "male AND female he made them"

citation needed seems to be an issue about the one statement that suggests hermaphroditic is not uncommon.

(You know I love you Hedges, without you, and others, I would not have been able to do this)
Anyway!!! back to the matter at hand boys and girls yes? :)

SO I seem to be confronted with a choice. Do I hook up the motor star or delta? hahah I have no clue yet :)

Last edited:
Anyway!!! back to the matter at hand boys and girls yes? :)

et cetera

SO I seem to be confronted with a choice. Do I hook up the motor star or delta? hahah I have no clue yet :)

3-phase? Star vs. delta supports two different voltages.
Connect in the higher voltage configuration for lower LRA, lower starting surge.
Then switch to lower voltage configuration for full power.
Assuming your supply voltage matches lower voltage configuration.

Motors can also have multiple windings/connection of windings supporting multiple RPM at a single line frequency.

rgr sir!!

Non related to the motor wiring. To which I have yet have to embark....

So I think I have figured out a way to really compare apples to apples when it comes to coils in the context of the current dual rotor disk and each having their 96 magnets at a 3.75 degree interval.
And whether adding iron powder does any good in terms permeability of the field between the magnets of the rotor disks and thus will lead to an enhanced voltage generation ability of the coil.

This is my hypothesis. It has been for quite a while.

Now please jump in here and present the possible errors of my plan if you can spot one as consensus is all I care about.

So the idea is to have 2 identical 3 legged serpentine coils of 36 winds. Identical other than one is filled with basic resin and the other is filled with iron powder.

Yet both of them will be squeezed to their absolute minimum. I am guessing something of like 3 to 4mm will remain.

Now we know for sure that all the wires are concentrated on a fairly single plane.

Now we can start adding both sides of both coils with their respective resin composition (without any more wires of course) equally to reach their intended thickness.

The result will be a super thin few mm of wires in the center of the full 15mm coil.

And now, and only if I can make sure that both coils are equally positioned enough between the disks.
Only NOW we can take tests seriously.

Now mind you even the last part is no small feat. But I will get there.

Now before I break my head on actually doing this. Is there anyone that can see an error in the idea? I mean what is the point going through all this trouble if no one will take the data seriously and no one will take my test setup I offer to reproduce said results.

Last edited:
and no one will take my test setup I offer to reproduce said results
of course we all know I meant a peer review here. of course I did not meant to suggest I will only send my gear to those peers who will arrive at the same conclusion.

That is not in favor of science. I am more haply to be proven wrong than to just be let loose into the wild with a wrong understanding of how tings work

early tests failed hard
:(
I thought why not only test the central shallow slab with the coils in them of both coils first. They are roughly 4.5mm thickness.

Also I made both slabs 35 winds resulting in a 35 -70 -35 configuration. Please never ask why I went for 36 while in theory 32 should have been enough already!

hahha well that flew back in my face like a boomerang as the iron powdered coil slab kept bending. who would have ever thought that 4.5mm of iron powder filled resin is not rigid enough to not bend with these kinds of fields around them
:)
?

So I really have to extend the process now. Going to fill up both coils to 15mm in thickness and then finally be able to make some sense of this iron powder use.

And you already know that I do not mind if I can not demonstrate anything useful in terms of voltage generation ability. I will also report my failures.

However I still am considering still using this iron powered filled casting just to help the heat dissipation ability.

But now we have another challenge. How can we make sure that the casting process was rigid enough to prevent the 150 um sized particles of powder to stay put. Never move else risk chipping away at the enamel.

This is the painful truth that @justgary made me aware of.

Now at risk of loosing his believe in me I am going to state the following;

I'll be honest. I do not think that any configuration in terms of frequencies we care to envsion will ever allow for this powder to allow to chip away at the enamel. Because the particles at ultra high frequencies will just get lazy and do nothing. (please do not trust this to be actual science!! this is just my effort to visualize it for my self)

Let alone at these 3.7 Hz as basis and then increased to 4 maybe 5 times that at maximum.

Now then one, including myself, wonders. Why did coil #1 shorted out in earlier tests then?

hmm
I am still at a loss. Maybe just that coil did not like a massage and then went on strike?

Ahh and here lies the possible answer. I just used too much force during the installation process for it to short out. But truth be told I am no scientist so my own data could contradict my interpretation of said data if I just was good and making sense of all this.

Anyway. All systems go!!!

Last edited:
hh and here lies the possible answer. I just used too much force during the installation process for it to short out.
really? did not it short out only after being taken into harsh practice runs?

my lord this science thing is hard. and it should be. even harder than this if one wants to really demonstrate the reality.

I would like to really state that I have absolutely no scientific method to make any sense of the #1 coil shorting out happening.

Last edited:
hahah this is such a let down :(

I had to increase the distance between the rotors from 17mm to 21mm because the concentration of powder was soo high that there was no way I could make a 15mm coil not get violently drawn to the magnets.
So the field in between the rotors decreased from roughly 230-240 mT to 199-207 mT

And still the plain coil seems to perform better.
1712071833235.png

the blue channel is the plain coil

1712071892222.png
So I will abandon iron powder filled coil legs if I can find a different heat dissipation agent that is non electro conductive and also not magnetically attractive.

that will save soo much head ache. I just not hope adding iron powdered cores will reintroduce the same issue but I guess I can manage.

Wires would not be drawn to the magnets unless current was pushed through them. Maybe with induced current it will be just pushed away, and symmetry from magnets on both sides will keep it in the middle.

Permanent magnet motors/generators with metal cores do have armature drawn violently towards the magnets. They are strong and rigid enough to remain in desired rotational motion.

If you're using plastic as a structural material, shapes that improve rigidity (like tapering in thickness) could be used.

argggg!!!!!!!!

Why have I not been preparing early on in life when I had the chance!!!!

I am so out of my league here now how to wire up the VFD to the motor.

1712144045310.png

and we all know the old saying. When you by cheap you get no support.
this is only applicable to the VFD though. The German motor I am sure their support will be top notch but I am just too damned clueless I do not even know what to ask. And they might not entertain questions on how to have it been driven my a less than reputable VFD.

@justgary or anyone. Is there anyone that can make some sense out of this.

I can already tell that the VFD as but 3 outputs for the 3 phase so that means it should be connect Delta as then we do not need a neutral wire yes?

-----
while starting this post had a little epiphany.
-----

Maybe I just needed this little rant here and while ranting come to the right answer my self.

Ok some trivia then for those just wanting to read some of life's upsetting moments.

Any IT experienced person will know what I mean. You ask your more experienced colleague to help you out with a problem and while you explain the problem you arrive at the answer.

it's an actual thing!!!

now please do keep suggestions coming as they might arrive here earlier than I have had the change to blow up my neighborhood.

ok ok, I really exaggerated not knowing what to ask to the german manufacturer.
the question I asked the nice lady on the phone was where do I find a wiring diagram for a delta configuration.

She confirmed that it is not easy to find and vowed to dive into it and come back to me as soon as she found it.

I never had to explain what was driving it in the first place which is indeed only logical.

ok ok I will admit. I have a thing with inflating daily life experiences ever so slightly for dramatic effect while not even needed if we just take a step back and take a breath.

Never will I be dishonest about the data I try to take so carefully.
Because in the end of the day. Someone Somewhere will be able to replicate the tests that are said to produce certain data. And if they are clearly different then I have got a whole lot of explaining to do.
So NO. I operate from the simple principle. Just follow the truth. Sure sometimes one is going flat on previously strong held assumptions, like I seem to be doing now.

But that is just cool in my books. Let us get a little Einstein before we give up yes? out of the box thinking is needed at all times if we want progress.

I for one have only 1 more experiment left I can think of to establish the field enhancing attributes running through the coil legs.
You see, that even though I thought that this most recent run would have been definitive.
It was the sheer disappointment that led me to theorize what might have gone wrong.

I can already think of a few things. One of those is that during casting I did not take the exact same position too seriously.

WOW!! I can use the IR camera to see that. Just blast both coils with amps and then watch them light up.

ahhh. ahhh

Last edited:
Any IT experienced person will know what I mean. You ask your more experienced colleague to help you out with a problem and while you explain the problem you arrive at the answer.
This is what I refer to as a Confessional Debugging. It starts with, "forgive me, brother, for I have coded." The colleague does not have to be more experienced. It could actually be your cat or dog. All you have to do is explain your design to something else and think that it is listening to you. A detailed explanation will always bring enlightenment.

Good job on getting the motor running.

careful readers will remember this nefarious looking blob of powder.

well I got my self 2 kg of just that ,magnesium oxide powder to make sure any coil casting will get a fair chance to dissipate their heat.

It is damned cheap too.

Not at all what one would pay for 1 kg of a perpetual good night on the town with possible run ins with the local authorities.

But truth be told though. When I think of magnesium powder I just do not trust yet if it can actually be an heat dissipation agent.

Back