diy solar

diy solar

Built in ATS or separate?

Sean Steele

I'm researching the purchase of an inverter for my RV. I was planning on having it power just the outlet circuit and going for an 1800watt inverter. I figured on needing an ATS but now I see some inverters with a switch built in. On the AIMS in particular, getting the ATS model is only $10 more than without.

I planned to run the output from the inverter to the area of the breaker panel then having the ATS there so I could easily run the output from the breaker to one side, the inverter to the other and connect the circuit to the output of the ATS all in that location. Having a built in ATS on the inverter would mean running two runs of 12-3 instead of one and having a junction box near the breaker panel for the connection to the original circuit.

Is there an advantage of a built in ATS that would outweigh the hassle of running two lines from one end of the camper to the other?

PWRI200012120S
PWRIX2000SUL
PWRIG200012120S

These are the three models I'm comparing. The third, I believe, is a digital inverter that would be a bit lighter and also includes a breaker on the AC side. Not sure if the weight savings and breaker are worth the extra $150 but it's interesting.
EDIT: turns out the third and first unit are the same weight. The third one is more efficient at partial load.

Thoughts, opinions, suggestions?

Last edited:
I'm researching the purchase of an inverter for my RV. I was planning on having it power just the outlet circuit and going for an 1800watt inverter. I figured on needing an ATS but now I see some inverters with a switch built in. On the AIMS in particular, getting the ATS model is only $10 more than without.

I planned to run the output from the inverter to the area of the breaker panel then having the ATS there so I could easily run the output from the breaker to one side, the inverter to the other and connect the circuit to the output of the ATS all in that location. Having a built in ATS on the inverter would mean running two runs of 12-3 instead of one and having a junction box near the breaker panel for the connection to the original circuit.

Is there an advantage of a built in ATS that would outweigh the hassle of running two lines from one end of the camper to the other?

PWRI200012120S
PWRIX2000SUL
PWRIG200012120S

These are the three models I'm comparing. The third, I believe, is a digital inverter that would be a bit lighter and also includes a breaker on the AC side. Not sure if the weight savings and breaker are worth the extra $150 but it's interesting.
EDIT: turns out the third and first unit are the same weight. The third one is more efficient at partial load.

Thoughts, opinions, suggestions?
Between the first two, for $10, why not get the one with the transfer switch?

With the external ATS it's easy to switch the incoming 30a "shore" power and power everything in the trailer. I prefer using the manual switch that's common in boats. If you use a 3 pole double throw you can put the converter disconnect on the 3rd pole.

With the external ATS it's easy to switch the incoming 30a "shore" power and power everything in the trailer. I prefer using the manual switch that's common in boats. If you use a 3 pole double throw you can put the converter disconnect on the 3rd pole.
Except I have no intension of running the whole trailer off of the inverter. I only need to run the one circuit. I can do this with either an integrated ATS or a separate one.

Doesn't sound like there is any reason for or against the internal ATS. Might as well get that inverter and save myself the extra $40 of having to order the external ATS.

Ok, to try to salvage some use from this thread, can someone help me wrap my head around the efficiencies? The one with the built in ATS is 86-90% efficient. The third one is 95% efficient at 1/3 load and 90% efficient at full load.

Assuming the 86 is the efficiency at full load and the 90 is the efficiency at 1/3 load on the unit with built in ATS. What do those numbers mean in real world operating times running off of a 170Ah lithium at 1/3 load and full load?

If I'm calculating it correctly, at 1/3 load, it would be a difference in run time of about 2 hours. 30.6 vs 32.3. In the grand scheme of things, not really worth the extra $200, $150 for the high efficiency and another $50 for the transfer switch.

Last edited:
If you want a Very Good Inverter/Charger Combo with all the right bells & whistles including built in ATS, AGS and programable which are designed for mobile uses then look below, these are High Efficiency >90% and they are commonly used in Ambulances, Emergency & Critical mission applications as well. Not to mention they have all the certifications you can come up with. NB, Not Cheap BUT you get what you pay for !
LOOK At the Details !

Samlex EVO-2212 https://samlexamerica.com/products/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=572
Samlex EVO-3012 https://samlexamerica.com/products/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=573

Nope, already have a charger. All the fancy words on their website and they don't mention once if they are compatible with lithium.

Other than having to run two lengths of wire, no real reason that I can think of. That's pretty much why I'm asking.
You can decide not to use the internal ATS and use an external ATS if it turns out to be an issue running the extra wire..... You have options if you buy the one with the ATS.

Nope, already have a charger. All the fancy words on their website and they don't mention once if they are compatible with lithium.
I was responding to your query concerning getting an Inverter with ATS or not and debating the use of an external ATS.
A straight "Inverter Only" with ATS is something I've not seen. Ones which can signal an ATS is different.

I'm sorry, maybe if you had read the details on the Samlex Product you may have picked up on that. They are not "Branded" devices made by a 3rd Party, Samlex is a Tier-1 OEM. AIMS is a VAR (Value Added Reseller) sellingTier-3 Value product and reflects that with lack of features, functions, efficiency and quality, which the pricing reflects. Aims made by Yiyen & Sigineer.

Back