diy solar

diy solar

Bulk battery cable

spielen

I know Will has some links to premade battery cables but is there a good place to buy 5 foot to 15 foot 2/0 awg wire? I have my own terminals, but finding wire prices are all over the place from 3.40 per foot to 5 per foot. Anyone have a preference?

Look on Amazon . I've used Tesco. Probably bought 200 feet of 2/0. Solar and welding. Nice stuff.

Depending on how much you need, it's easier to go down to Adanced Auto or Lowes etc and just get it done. You're trading shipping cost for local price, but it's a no wait game and you're on your way.

The problem I have had with the big boxes is that their large cables are stranded but not thin stranded. Hard pvc encasing. No fun at all to work with.

I've used jumper cables, cut off the alligator clips. Thin strand, flexible, usually oil/gas resistant. Just have to watch if it's tinned copper or copper tinned aluminum. But if you've designed enough amps/loss overhead into your cabling, not a big deal.

The problem I have had with the big boxes is that their large cables are stranded but not thin stranded. Hard pvc encasing. No fun at all to work with.
West Marine has good wire if you have one close by. Not a discount retailer but they might let you use their crimper.

I get my provisions here: https://www.genuinedealz.com/collections/marine-battery-cable/wire-awg-size_2-0-awg

$6 per foot shipped in the US. 105C insulation. Tinned copper wire. Currently out of stock :(

They arent out of stock of the premade cables.

FWIW, I needed some cable today to wire an inverter into my truck. Went with jumper cables from Lowes, 2 AWG, 16 feet. Works out to about $1.65 per foot taxes included, no shipping. It's copper-tinned aluminum, but for my application it will work just fine. I only needed 6 AWG, but got a heavier wire in case I wanted to upgrade the inverter later. I know it's not the 2/0 you're looking for, just an FYI.

20210519_154226.jpg

Batterycablesusa has flat rate shipping. Like 4 bucks
True, but their cable is a dollar more per foot for 2/0. Ended up getting TEMco off amazon, was about the same as wireandcableyourway.com but i'll get it faster. No west marine here in Idaho. I used to get my wire there when I lived in Virginia or from waytek.

Home depot and lowes sell cable by the foot. Also try the local welding supply shop

I've used jumper cables, cut off the alligator clips. Thin strand, flexible, usually oil/gas resistant. Just have to watch if it's tinned copper or copper tinned aluminum. But if you've designed enough amps/loss overhead into your cabling, not a big deal.
Jumper cable insulation is usually VERY poor quality.
Melts at low temps, easily damaged.
Ok in a pinch, but be wary.

Home depot and lowes sell cable by the foot. Also try the local welding supply shop
Ya but it's not fun to work with, welding cable should be fun and pretty.

Here's a pic taken especially for this post of the 2/0 I bought at Advanced Auto for my winch. Not fun or pretty, but I gotz it in my rig right the hells now.

Attachments

• 20210520_094424.jpg
    20210520_094424.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 6
Back