diy solar

diy solar

Bus bar

Traviss224

I am looking at building my own server rack using AOlithium batteries. From what I gathered from Will's videos, he didn't like the small gauge wire.

So my question: if I build a rack out wood (I'm a woodworker) and got copper bar stock. Take the bar stock and made two bus bars out of it. (One on each side)

Could I take those cables that come with the ao lithium battery, cut them, install lugs and run them individually to the bus bar? Then run a main + and - off of that to the inverter?

Could I take those cables that come with the ao lithium battery, cut them, install lugs and run them individually to the bus bar? Then run a main + and - off of that to the inver
Pictures would help, specs even more.

When trying to upsize cables, I’ve had issues with lugs being too big or wires too big for terminals. I’ve even had problems of proper sized wire not fitting because the insulation around the wires was too thick.

The bigger wires will fix the small wire problem, but not sure it’ll fit.

My comment is this and it will be politically criticized on this site.

Battery racks are not supposed to be made out of wood. Wood is flammable and placing batteries on wooden racks is against code in many urban areas. From what I have come across on this forum, many persons live in rural areas and just do whatever they want.

You can get an adjustable steel shelf from Costco, amazon, HD, Menards where each shelf can hold up to 1000 lbs. Lots of batts can go on those and it won't burn in a fire.

Last edited:
Pictures would help, specs even more.

When trying to upsize cables, I’ve had issues with lugs being too big or wires too big for terminals. I’ve even had problems of proper sized wire not fitting because the insulation around the wires was too thick.

The bigger wires will fix the small wire problem, but not sure it’ll fit.

Lugs wouldn't have a problem fitting. I would that bus bar out of 1/4"x1" flat bar. Drill and tap. The end on the battery would not change.

If what you're talking about kinda looks like this:

View attachment 182008

Yes.
This is what I'm thinking for the desert nest. Pics show positive bus bar and 2 of 4 batteries. The rough layout indicates I'll need 2 foot cables between batteries and bus bar. It's flexible as I can start out with existing 12 volt setup and move to 24 or even 48 in the future. The closed cell foam the batteries came in might even be used for insulation. Fuses between bus bar and battery 125 Amp 58 volt. Fuse from switch to inverter is 300 amp, went with that as switch contacts are rated for 300 amp max. This really should not be a problem as close the switch then turn on the inverter. What have I over looked?

Attachments

• DSC_0244.JPG
    DSC_0244.JPG
    278.8 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC_0245.JPG
    DSC_0245.JPG
    311.6 KB · Views: 31
My entire house is wood, including the floors. Can I put the batteries on the floor?

Would it really matter if the batteries are on a wood shelf or a metal shelf if the house is on fire?
Yes. the wood will combust first, generate smoke quicker, spread quicker and produce embers to light adjacent areas. the metal will be much more difficult to ignite and will melt.

This is what I'm thinking for the desert nest. Pics show positive bus bar and 2 of 4 batteries. The rough layout indicates I'll need 2 foot cables between batteries and bus bar. It's flexible as I can start out with existing 12 volt setup and move to 24 or even 48 in the future. The closed cell foam the batteries came in might even be used for insulation. Fuses between bus bar and battery 125 Amp 58 volt. Fuse from switch to inverter is 300 amp, went with that as switch contacts are rated for 300 amp max. This really should not be a problem as close the switch then turn on the inverter. What have I over looked?
Please let me know if this is correct: It appears from the photo that you have purchased 2 terminal fuse holders each with a fuse and bolted them to the buss bar. Or is the one terminal fuse holder bolted to the buss bar and the other to the switch input and output of switch to the buss bar? its unclear from the photos.

IMO, the terminal fuse holders should be attached to the positive pole of each battery. The output of the batteries to 1.) a switch and then buss bar OR 2.) the buss bar and then a switch between the buss bar and the inverter.

Actually I have 4 MRBF fuse holders, 1 for each battery. There is more surface for the fuse holder on the bus bar, therefor lower resistance connection. Prior to this forum I have never heard of mounting the fuse directly to the battery. Also haven't see it in 50 years of working with dc voltages. That doesn't mean it might not be a better way. The Bluesea 6006 switch is mounted directly to the bus which reduces connections and possible failure points. While maybe not the best the fuse holder, another MRBF, is connected to the switch protecting the down stream wiring to the inverter. Also kinda limits the ac output of the inverter to 30A. The ac side of the inverter will be hooked to a 30A breaker also.

My entire house is wood, including the floors. Can I put the batteries on the floor?

Would it really matter if the batteries are on a wood shelf or a metal shelf if the house is on fire?
I built my wooden battery rack over a 400 gallon pool of water, if it burns, it falls I to the water, I also have a float switch to allow make up water (5gal/min) to be added when things get really exciting.

Or we could just rebuild all our houses out of concrete, problem solved!!!

Actually I have 4 MRBF fuse holders, 1 for each battery. There is more surface for the fuse holder on the bus bar, therefor lower resistance connection. Prior to this forum I have never heard of mounting the fuse directly to the battery. Also haven't see it in 50 years of working with dc voltages.

I've seen large system fuses commonly close to the battery. Then everything else feeds off that.
That doesn't mean it might not be a better way. The Bluesea 6006 switch is mounted directly to the bus which reduces connections and possible failure points. While maybe not the best the fuse holder, another MRBF, is connected to the switch protecting the down stream wiring to the inverter. Also kinda limits the ac output of the inverter to 30A. The ac side of the inverter will be hooked to a 30A breaker also.
Golf cart conversions always show the fuse at the battery.

I prefer as close as possible.

I built my wooden battery rack over a 400 gallon pool of water, if it burns, it falls I to the water, I also have a float switch to allow make up water (5gal/min) to be added when things get really exciting.

Or we could just rebuild all our houses out of concrete, problem solved!!!
In Florida they build with poured concrete or concrete block. Very strong. the problem is the roofs still blow off and the homes still flood.

Actually I have 4 MRBF fuse holders, 1 for each battery. There is more surface for the fuse holder on the bus bar, therefor lower resistance connection. Prior to this forum I have never heard of mounting the fuse directly to the battery. Also haven't see it in 50 years of working with dc voltages. That doesn't mean it might not be a better way. The Bluesea 6006 switch is mounted directly to the bus which reduces connections and possible failure points. While maybe not the best the fuse holder, another MRBF, is connected to the switch protecting the down stream wiring to the inverter. Also kinda limits the ac output of the inverter to 30A. The ac side of the inverter will be hooked to a 30A breaker also.
Blue Sea systems MRBF Terminal Fuse Block - 30 to 300A

Google it. I have used these for years on the + terminal of battery string.

I have just bought an Aolithium server rack battery an need cables, they're out of stock. what are the battery connector ends called?

Back