diy solar

diy solar

By-pass BMS

Jordi

Is it a feasible idea to, in order to save a significant chunk of money, by-pass a BMS for higher loads than it is meant?
So charge a battery via BMS, discharge a battery via BMS and eventually, when using a load over the BMS limit, by-pass it temporary.

What do you think?

Is it a feasible idea to, in order to save a significant chunk of money, by-pass a BMS for higher loads than it is meant?
So charge a battery via BMS, discharge a battery via BMS and eventually, when using a load over the BMS limit, by-pass it temporary.

What do you think?
It would work, but while it is bypassed, you are the BMS. You would need to check the voltages often enough to make sure nothing goes wrong.

Depending on the load, the frequency the battery needs to be checked would vary.

It would work, but while it is bypassed, you are the BMS. You would need to check the voltages often enough to make sure nothing goes wrong.

Depending on the load, the frequency the battery needs to be checked would vary.
Thanks a lot.

What do you think?
you really hate your house i gather ?

It is more about having deep pockets and short arms. If you understand ;)
But also because my models are mainly small.
The cost of messing this up is usually far greater than the price of a BMS.

At the very least it could cost you a few cells and time to replace them. At worst you wake up right about the same time the fire hits your bedroom.

The cost of messing this up is usually far greater than the price of a BMS.

At the very least it could cost you a few cells and time to replace them. At worst you wake up right about the same time the fire hits your bedroom.
You are right and I am aware of it. It would be more to by-pass the BMS just when I am present during the use and for "shorter" periods of time (< 1h). The intention is more about knowing I have the possibility than building a system that it will work this way. Build a system for 600W and If one day I want to vacuum with a cleaner that uses 800W know that I can use the by-pass for a while.

But yet, I understand that it is a dangerous thing to do and not recommended.

Everyone says that.

Then that few minutes of attending it turns into "I do it all the time it's fine" turns into "aw shucks I burned my house down".

Back