diy solar

diy solar

cable armor

noenegdod

Solar Addict
I have 12' of 4/0 running down a frame rail and Im feeling a bit concerned about rubbing through. I have been thinking about throwing some hose armor around it:

or pulling it through some 3/4" silicone heater hose:

Any suggestions or down side anyone can think of?

It would only matter on the amount of amps going through the cable whether or not there is an issue. There is large difference in current carrying capacity for cable in "free air" compared to cables in conduit.

It would only matter on the amount of amps going through the cable whether or not there is an issue. There is large difference in current carrying capacity for cable in "free air" compared to cables in conduit.
This is exactly why Im hesitating, especially with the silicone hose which is a really good thermal insulator. Split loom would be similar just not as bad for holding in heat. The load isnt for very long, typically a minute or two but is ~500 amps (electric recovery winch). The cable armor would be the best from a heat perspective as it does allow some air flow around the cable.

What is the temp rating of the 4/0 cable? Ampacity of 4/0 even at 90C is only 260. Could you run 2 pairs of 4/0?
Your giving this some thought! Thank you.

It is ancor "marine grade wire" 105C dry and 75 wet. I got a 25' spool planning to run a pair of wires.

I used braided wrap on my RV install. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074GPHW6B/

I would not use the hose style protector, it is going to hold moisture and heat so you'd need to make sure your wiring is rated for conduit applications. It would be the same as putting the wiring inside of liquid tite style conduit.
Some posted recently that they used a similar heater hose and found it was not an insulator, it was actually passing current so you might want to search for that one too.

I used braided wrap on my RV install. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074GPHW6B/

I would not use the hose style protector, it is going to hold moisture and heat so you'd need to make sure your wiring is rated for conduit applications. It would be the same as putting the wiring inside of liquid tite style conduit.
Some posted recently that they used a similar heater hose and found it was not an insulator, it was actually passing current so you might want to search for that one too.
Ill look into the braid, thanks!

When I said insulator I was talking about thermal. I am surprised it would conduct current but it is an amazing thermal insulator. You can grab and hold onto a silicone heater hose with the engine up to running temp and it will be hot initially but will actually cool down to warm but comfortable in less than a couple seconds.

I used the spiral wrap on the DLO cable I ran under my truck, but positive only.

Yes, it was probably overkill as I only use DLO cable and it is some tough stuff.

It is what I am leaning towards ATM. When I was doing equipment repair in the bush any hose that it was applied to lasted 20x longer so under a truck never really moving much at all the cable should last forever.

Completely agree; the braided wrap is designed for abrasion protection and has always worked well for me.

I found the thread on using heater hose and unintended voltage.

Back