diy solar

diy solar

Can a fuse be used to protect another fuse? (Class T Fuse Question)

iClick

I'd like to install a Class T fuse into my yet to be built 12v 310A power station. The reason for the choosing a Class T fuse is to protect against a catastrophic direct short where there could be in excess of 10k Amps (happy to be corrected here)

Now given that Class T fuses aren't cheap ($80 AUD) would it be feasible to install a higher rated Class T fuse than is needed by my cables and then properly rated ANL or MRBF fuses that I would hope would blow before the 'last resort' Class T fuse.

In my case, I have 64mm SQ 00B&S cable connecting a 2000W inverter to a 310Ah battery.

Would it be akin to wearing two condoms If I used a 250A ANL fuses to protect the cable and then have a 350A Class T fuse between the battery cut off switch acting as the direct short fail safe?

For 12V systems, MRBF's have a 10k Amp interrupt current, I think.

But aside from that, I'm trying to come up with reasons why this is a bad idea but I'm coming up with nothing.
  • Short? Protected by the Class T. Check.
  • Overload (short or medium term)? Protected by the ANL (or MRBF). Check.
I'm happy to be corrected by others on this one, but this seems to be an ok plan?

there could be in excess of 10k Amps
With a 12v system and some resistance between the cells battery terminals, is unlikely to exceed 10k amps thus a MRBF 'master' fuse should be OK. If a ClassT or similar HRC fuse is used with a lower cost fuse downstream, this is OK provided the cable has a suitable current rating.

I'm happy to be corrected by others on this one, but this seems to be an ok plan?
this is OK provided the cable has a suitable current rating.
I appreciate your feedback and for the vote of confidence. I'm still pretty green at this but I want to make sure that everything is done with safety in mind.

I think I'll design the system to have a copper busbar from the battery terminal to the Class T fuse holder then battery disconnect switch followed by ANL fuses at the busbar.

Put the Class-T as close as possible to the positive of your battery. I have Class-T fuses connected to the positive with about 12 inches of cable and then use 100 amp circuit breakers for the actual loads. See the pictures in my signature.

Back