diy solar

diy solar

Can anyone help me? Dead system

NVCYberPro

I am hoping someone can help figure out what is wrong or what to do. I am concerned that my units are dead and I am not getting help from Signature Solar, they keep assuring me that someone will help, but that hasn't happened yet.

I was going to keep one 6500 for a backup - but then I used it as a solar charger, I think that was a mistake because now I have been down for a week, I have no backup and no help from Signature Solar.

Any advice or means to rectify are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
James

Hi Eddie,
The battery connections are straight forward and simple. 4/0 from battery cabinet to bus bar, 2/0 from buss bar to each 6500, equal length cables, chargeverter output to busbar. 2-48V-LL-v2 2-48V-LL-v2S
6500EX-1 is the main unit, the other 6500 is only used for an additional charge control at this time, we do not have enough load to justify the additional power consumption (draw) of that unit.
6500EX-1 - PV input - 9 SolarEver 410W 6500EX-1 - AC out to panel - panel out to manual transfer switches 6500EX-1 - AC input 10A - Utility - only used if batteries get to below 20%
6500EX-2 - No AC input or output 6500EX-2 - PV input 10 Canadian Solar 390W 6500EX-2 - PV input 03 Canadian Solar 390W
The system has been running practically flawlessly since previous RMA on defective unit.
Friday morning we lost power, on checking the system:
6500EX-2 was off (black screen, non responsive) 6500EX-1 Fault code 02: Internal temperature to high (Ambient air temperature 68 deg F. Batteries in protect mode
I fully shutdown the system, disconnected the PV input from both units, shut down all breakers and turned off all BMS's.
I started each battery one at a time from top to bottom waiting for each to boot, then turned on all the breakers on the batteries.
I turned on the wall breaker (nader) for 6500EX-1 and the batteries immediately go into protect mode.
I shutdown the system again and restarted the batteries as above, this time I turned on the breaker (nader) for 6500EX-2, same batteries went into protect mode.
I shutdown the system and disconnected both 6500EX units from the bus bar and turned on the breakers, no issue's power to bus bar. I then connected unit 1 and tested - protect mode, started over connected unit 2 only, same, protect mode.
I reconnected the cables to the bus bar both naders off, started the generator and ran the chargeverter, the batteries began to charge as normal.
I shutdown the chargeverter and connected PV to unit 1, unit 1 recognized the PV and starter inverting, have 120v at subpanel, but error bP - battery disconnected as expected as breaker has to stay in off position.
Turned on PV for 6500EX-2 - The unit did not respond, disconnected inside PV disconnect, checked breakers and power at outside box, all okay. Came in and checked power at input of inside disconnect, all okay, turned on inside disconnect, no response on unit, pv input on both side of disconnect read 0. I cut the female end off an an extension cord, used this to supply AC to unit 2. The unit powered on and would show inverting, as nothing was connected to AC output did not test, turned PV power on and the unit did not recognize any PV input as before.
I shut the unit down, removed the test ac cord, shut down the batteries and all breakers / disconnects then called for support.
Eddie, I am hoping this meets the information you requested and we can find a way to get back up and running quickly.
Thank you
20240610_140058.jpg20240610_140137.jpg

the thing that stands out to me is, don't you need to connect the batteries thru a resistor/light bulb. Otherwise the inverters try to fill the capacitors which sends the battery into protection mode.

If your batteries go into protect mode anytime you try to connect them and power on the AIO's it makes me wonder if you have tried a pre-charge?

Simplify your system, and try to connect just one. When you get that one working, take it off line, and get the other working.

Once you have both working independently, then you can try to set them up to parallel.

Turn off batteries and inverters.
Close the breaker/switch between the inverter and battery (connect battery to inverter).
Turn on the batteries
Turn on the inverter.

The batteries should have a pre-charge resistor that keeps from surging when initially turned on.
By waiting for the batteries to turn on prior to connecting to inverter, you defeat that circuit.

Not sure which batteries you have, but the newer rack batteries should have a pre-charge procedure for starting the inverters. Check the manual. You need to do this each time you start them up. If no pre-charge procedure, like the others said - you'll need a pre-charge resistor, bulb, etc.
The problem with 6500ex-2 may be in the PV wiring. Although the voltage may test good, a bad connection could prevent enough current from getting to the unit. To test, try swapping in a different PV string if you can.

Simplify your system, and try to connect just one. When you get that one working, take it off line, and get the other working.

Once you have both working independently, then you can try to set them up to parallel.

Turn off batteries and inverters.
Close the breaker/switch between the inverter and battery (connect battery to inverter).
Turn on the batteries
Turn on the inverter.

The batteries should have a pre-charge resistor that keeps from surging when initially turned on.
By waiting for the batteries to turn on prior to connecting to inverter, you defeat that circuit.

I have disconnect both units and tried starting each one independently, I did this at first by turning off breakers / disconnects then by physically removing the cables.

I have started each battery (4) (EG4 LL-S Lithium Battery | 48V 100AH | Server Rack Battery) one a time following the procedures in the manual as well.

Thanks for the tips.

Just for the sake of being thorough, from another thread - power-on sequence:
1 - DC breaker
2 - EG4-LL Battery breaker
3 - EG4-LL Battery ON/OFF push button
4 - Solar
5 - AC (if applicable)
6 - Inverter

Just for the sake of being thorough, from another thread - power-on sequence:
1 - DC breaker
2 - EG4-LL Battery breaker
3 - EG4-LL Battery ON/OFF push button
4 - Solar
5 - AC (if applicable)
6 - Inverter
After step 3 - battery goes into protect mode.

Thank you

This happens when you only try a single inverter? The other inverter either has the Nader breaker open or the battery cables disconnected?
Hi Adam,

Yes, the other inverter is disconnected with the Nader breaker open, I also tried removing the battery cable from the unit at the bus bar, just to be sure. Same result both inverters (although one was just used as a solar charger)

How are you Adam, we haven't spoken since my light flicker (strobe) issue :) All has been well since last fall until now :(

If Signature Solar would just get on the ball and call me back, I have 4 calls into them this week so far.

James

Turn off batteries.
Turn off inverters.
Disconnect load from inverter.
Turn on chargeverter.
Set chargeverter to 52.0v at 1 amp (Or lowest amp).
Turn on inverter.
What happens?
If ok, up amps to 50.
If ok, turn on battery.

If ok, Turn off cv, and connect load.

Yes, the other inverter is disconnected with the Nader breaker open, I also tried removing the battery cable from the unit at the bus bar, just to be sure. Same result both inverters (although one was just used as a solar charger)
Thanks, just wanted to try and isolate to a single inverter to see if one was causing the issue.

How are you Adam, we haven't spoken since my light flicker (strobe) issue :) All has been well since last fall until now :(
Doing well, thanks! Sorry you're stuck going through this.

As far as the F02, you mentioned the ambient temp of the room is 68F. Are the air filters clean? I know this doesn't help fix the issue, just trying to figure out why you would have had that fault code.

If Signature Solar would just get on the ball and call me back, I have 4 calls into them this week so far.
@SignatureSolarJess

Hi Adam,

James
Hi James! Would you mind sending me a dm with your email address? I'll get you escalated!

The batteries need to be connected to the inverter when you start the battery up.

That means your external battery breakers on position, server rack battery breakers all off, then turn on server rack batteries one by one, while they are connected to the inverter.

The server rack batteries do a precharge when they're turned on. They need to be connected to the inverter during that process.

I would also recommend mounting the EG4 Charge-Inverter vertical so the fan exhausts out the top which will aid in cooling. The exhaust may be blowing on the left inverter.

Have you checked the voltage from PV to see if you are getting any power?
Also, have you checked the voltage on the batteries?

diy solar

diy solar
Back