diy solar

diy solar

Can I connect a shunt in between JK BMS and negative pole with short alu bar?

Enduro

As in the title: can I connect a shunt in between JK BMS and negative pole with a short (max. 40mm) alu bar (20x2mm).
Bold on shunt is 10 mm and lugs on cables are 6mm

PXL_20230515_153240255.jpg

Yep, but that's not the question.

You sure?

As in the title: can I connect a shunt in between JK BMS and negative pole with a short (max. 40mm) alu bar (20x2mm).
Bold on shunt is 10 mm and lugs on cables are 6mm

What is the "negative pole" to you?

I interpret that as the negative pole of the battery, so you are asking if you can put a negative shunt between the battery and BMS. That answer is no.

Treating this like a wire gauge question: 20x2mm has a cross sectional area of 40mmSq which is close to 1 AWG (42.4).
Lets assume 100A running through it at 12V.
Such a short length will have minimal voltage drop - about 0.1%
Heat will also be reasonable at ~12degC or 20degF above ambient.
It will function much like a 3 AWG copper bar and should be fine.

I'd consider the max ampacity around 160-170A for that bar based on NEC chart 310.15(B)(17) in free air for ~1 AWG aluminum.
For example, 200A would generate ~50 degC or 85 degF above ambient which will be plenty hot to touch.

running the numbers for myself...

20mm x 2mm = 40mm^2

Al is about 60% the conductivity of Cu.

.6 * 40mm^2 = 24mm^2

3awg is 26.7mm^2, so it's pretty close.

Personally, if you have more of the aluminum, I'd double it up.

Aggressively scuff both sides with scotchbrite or sandpaper to remove oxide. Apply NO-OX-ID A-special to all contact faces. I would do the prep and NO-OX to even a single bar installation.

Aluminum is a good conductor especially when you factor in the price of copper. However, it's prone to surface oxides that reduce conductivity. Corrosion prevention is key.

Back