diy solar

diy solar

Can I use a lower Amp Charge Controller during winter?

WillAK

I currently have 900w of solar going through a 40a CC into my 24v battery bank.

But during these winter months I get a maximum of 350w, 8a from the panels at the highest point of the day. This works out at maximum 2500w per day/1000w on overcast days.

I was thinking If i purchase two more of the same panels, could I use the same CC until spring at least?
Even doubling it up would only ever put 16a through the CC at any one time? Then come spring, I will spring for a new 150/85 Victron for the 4 panels.

Any ideas appreciated, also how I should configure the 4 panels? My CC has a max voltage of 100v.

Thanks!

Over panelling is great for winter. Just stay plenty under the voc limit.
So I can add as many panels as I want as long as it stays under the 100v CC limit?

Essentially i could have 4 panels but the max it will ever put out would be the Amp of the CC? 40A x 24V = 960w max input? Even with 2200w of solar.

Utilize virtual tracking. This means pointing different identical solar arrays in different directions that catch morning, noon, and afternoon sun. You Could have 1000W arrays pointed East, South, and West. At 8am, the Eastward array is in full sun, the South array making <10%, and the West array more or less zero.

As the sun arcs across the sky, the output of each array changes proportionally. At noon, your South-facing array is at full power, but the East and West ones output <10%. So, at any point in the day, your total output is never going to exceed 40A.

This really helps with cloudy winter weather when the low light is more scattered. The output of the less well-oriented panels will not lag to far behind the array most optimally oriented, and you'll be making almost 3X what your single array was making before. 3X of marginal 10% output might be enough to get you through a rainy day. It does at my own cabin. With my extra arrays pointed in different directions, I can now make >3kWh/day, in the rain.

So I can add as many panels as I want as long as it stays under the 100v CC limit?

Essentially i could have 4 panels but the max it will ever put out would be the Amp of the CC? 40A x 24V = 960w max input? Even with 2200w of solar.

Yes, 1.5-2x the charging power is fairly common practice. Any more is experimental territory. There's a couple of members here who have gone nuts and yielded good results in winter and overcast days.

Back