diy solar

diy solar

Can i use pure Copper wire with Tinned Copper Lugs

Jbamps

Can i use pure Copper wire with Tinned Copper Lugs or will this diminish efficiency?

Can i use pure Copper wire with Tinned Copper Lugs or will this diminish efficiency?
Yes, thats totally common. As others noted, the tinning on the exposed copper lug protects it.

This does bear out something very common in the forums, though. What is “obvious” or “common knowledge” to people with experience can be pretty baffling if you don’t know. I’ve also stumbled over the “it’s simple! Just C, D, E, then F, G goes next” but I don’t know the assumed A & B. This forum, especially the beginner’s area and search function, were very helpful to me because people would explain the basics too. Kudos to you persons who still patiently take the time.

While the tin is not quite as good a conductor as the copper is, there is only a few thousandths of an inch of coating of it, so think of it as adding an EXTREMELY short piece of tin wire to the end of the copper wire...that short a length is not going to add any appreciable resistance, but will add considerable corrosion protection.

Back