diy solar

diy solar

Can solar panels really be this cheap?

Don't buy battery voltage panels unless you never want to go anywhere with your system. I have a dozen 100W panels I no longer use. New 250W grid tie panels are only 50% more.

To start, I'm a solar newb! I just saw these posted on Amazon. Can solar panels really be this cheap? Even for 100W panels these seem too good to be true.
That is $0.80/watt.

Take a look at these from Signature Solar: https://signaturesolar.com/boviet-solar-370watts-bi-facial-bvm6610-370-hc-bf/ notice the price per watt under the panel price, $0.462/watt. Most larger panels are cheaper per watt than the small panels.

I own 8 Renogy 100W panels on my truck camper. Those were used because I only needed a few panels, the price included shipping and the panel dimensions fit the roof just right. I would have preferred something cheaper per watt, but sometimes you have to pay more to get something the right size.

I bought a few 100 watt panels to experiment. I found a closeout for $60 each with free shipping and bought 4. After running them a few weeks I bought a few more. Then came across a deal for $50 each and bought some more. You can find large panels for less per watt, but once you add shipping they will likely be more than 50¢ per watt.

Those signature solar panels are a good deal but you must buy at least 10 and shipping for a pallet of panels isn't cheap. Not such a good deal if you only need 1000 watts. So. If you only need a few hundred watts there is nothing wrong with 100 watt panels, but you wouldn't want to cover your roof with them.

Try craigslist etc for solar installers. They buy by the pallet and it is panel of the month for them. They always have some left over and the next purchase from a different manufacturer physically and electrically don't match the next purchase. If a really small installer who buys from a distributor, him adding a few extra panels gets his cost down.

USA prices :)

solar.jpg

Now i understand that you all don't know directly the exchange rate... 3150 THB = $91.21
Transport costs, roughly max 1000 km, $ 7.82 excluded.

Or, delivered at your doorstep $ 100,-
(oh.. and $4.34 discount on the order)

this includes all tax, duties and so on :)

so yeah...
panels can be this cheap...

There are some darn good prices out there on the larger wattage panels. If my system had been planned out rather than a hobby over several years I would likely buy by the pallet load today. IIRC my first 2 -100w panels I bought 5-6 years back cost me ~$130/ea. Since I never wanted to sink big money into them I have bought 20 of the 100w panels (as price off sales caught my attention) as time allowed the funds. Bit awkward in implementation but they do produce power.

If you know what you want and have the funds go big!

I purchased the 16 JA Solar 530W half cell panels for my house system for a total of $4530. That price included $290 for freight to my doorstep but I have a forklift to unload so it is a little cheaper. That is $0.538/watt total.

The freight cost me $0.0344 per watt.

To start, I'm a solar newb! I just saw these posted on Amazon. Can solar panels really be this cheap? Even for 100W panels these seem too good to be true.
I bought 8 -100 watt 9BB BougeRV panels on amazon for about that. They are showing a deal on each panel right now. There is 9 dollar coupon to apply on one panel. Just buy one per order , I did and it worked. Great panels. Connected 4s2p on a victron 150/60 SCC

I've repeatedly said that if you only need a few panels, just getting them from Amazon is a MUCH cheaper option than getting used ones from someone like Santan or Watts247 because it's $300+ just for shipping from 1 panel to 1 pallet. When you're buying 25 large panels that's not bad, when you're buying 2 of them though it REALLY HURTS!!

USA prices :)
Heck, for once something is more expensive in US than here in Finland. :LOL:
ASTROENERGY 410 W HC PERC MONO = 99 euros incl 24% VAT.
Even N-type panels are already below 0.5usd/w
Jinko 430W all black N-type 195 euros.

100W panels are typically lot more expensive, bulk production (and sales volumes) is now in panel sizes over 400W

diy solar

diy solar
Back