diy solar

diy solar

Can Solar & Wind Fix Everything (e.g., Climate Change) with a battery break-through?

Not quite as fast as an asteroid hitting, but agree it's not slow enough for evolution to build a counter. Still, the rate of change in evolution is just boggline my mind...all of a sudden X-Men don't look so far fetched ;-)
I may be in the minority ....but I still thin it's "intelligent design" ... not evolution.

I don't doubt that evolution is a factor, but there is no way it explains the sudden appearance of a completely different species with completely different types of biological systems.

It's an interesting topic.. the whole Cambrian explosion 540 million years ago was something else (Panspermia?), but then there were 5 extinction events. Even so, from what I'm reading evolution isn't slowing down and it wasn't a one-time thing, it's still going on and it's going faster. It's like the line from Jurassic Park, Life finds a way... possibly all those extinctions favored faster evolution.

I'm of the belief that humans will not harness the morality to overcome the burden we put on the planet for us to fix the wrongs we've created...

Does that mean will we cause the end to it all?

No idea. Some believe a warming earth will benefit the planet....

For me, I could care less about the politics of those discussions. For me its about making the most out of what you do have to make your (humanities) impact on the world as little as we can. If we do that, what more could we do?

But if we let the politics/money override that simply cause someone is making money/power from what they are selling (which is mostly what we have now) despite it harming us more (not less) in the way we can change (making the most out of what we have) then...

I hope that all made sense.

Basically said unless we get a grip on our usage we are f#@%@#d. And we seem to have no (real) interest in doing that.

These folks seem to be biased in the direction that we aren't causing the warming.
No matter ... the environment in general is going to be way better off if we can get "off" of fossil fuels.

sounds like it went downhill fast.
Yes, but over a period of about 100 thousand years give or take, with some of the extinctions taking millions of years. On geologic time scales that's still a blink of an eye. The current Holocene mass extinction event is occurring way faster.

...we seem to have no (real) interest in doing that...
But we are interested in maximizing profits!

The program to decrease battery costs by 90% will more than flip electrical power
economics to solar/wind. Combine that with EVs (because solar is cheaper than
gasoline) and other sectors from the chart and that's probably ~80% of the 51
Billion tons of greenhouse gasses emitted annually.

The climatologists say there's already so much CO2 slowing down isn't really good
enough, we have to hit zero. So, while batteries take us a long way and will flip the
economics naturally, we still don't have answers for other sectors.
1625918155028-png.55661

Not that it'll be painless. I'm hoping it's somewhat gradual and easy (e.g., the proposal to ban gasoline/diesel engines by 2035). That gives us 15+ years (the "plus" as ICE cars bought in 2034 will still be running in 2045) to build out a replacement infrastructure and find suitable replacements.

We'll also need high-density carbon-neutral fuel sources for airplanes and probably long-haul trucks, a replacement for concrete, beano for cows, a ban on products made by releasing CFC into the atmosphere (putting them out of business is the only way to get some countries to stop) and a lot of other things.

Ideally, all the big $ items for consumers (e.g., cars) have a lower price tag (deflation) with the new "green" technology to help the transition along.
Of course, I'm an optimist!

IPCC Report: Code red for humanity​

(excerpts from a synopsis of the Friday report)

The world’s leading climate scientists on Monday delivered their starkest warning yet about the deepening climate emergency, with some of the changes already set in motion thought to be “irreversible” for centuries to come.
I've already seen other click-bait reports just saying it's irreversible and concluding we're all doomed. They just means it'll take several generations to unwind the mess that's been two hundred years in the making.

... panel warns that limiting global warming to close to 1.5 degrees Celsius or even 2 degrees Celsius above pre-industrial levels “will be beyond reach” in the next two decades without immediate, rapid and large-scale reductions in greenhouse gas emissions.
We're at 1.3°C now, and with a .18°C rise per year we should be there in no time (estimates aref 2030 to 2052). So, yeah - pretty much nothing we can do now will stop that (short of nukes to blow dirt into the atmosphere or any of the other novel methodologies suggested over the years). It's not really a surprise though and certainly nothing new.

... the 1.5 degrees Celsius threshold is a crucial global target because beyond this level, so-called tipping points become more likely. Tipping points refer to an irreversible change in the climate system, locking in further global heating.
I think what this means is that when Ice melts we lose the reflectivity bonus so it'll get even hotter quicker. Probably worth some research to understand what tipping points are at what temperatures and their impacts. For example, we know from the NASA graphic in #57 the maximum impact of losing all the ice is < 30W/m².

At 2 degrees Celsius of global warming, the report says heat extremes would often reach critical tolerance thresholds for agriculture and health.
Agriculture? I thought warmer weather and more CO2 was good for plants? That might be worth looking into too.

Well, the IPCC report is about 4,000 pages...guess I should get crackin!

Last edited:
A level of confidence is expressed using five qualifiers: very low, low, medium, high and very high, and typeset in italics, for example, medium confidence. The following terms have been used to indicate the assessed likelihood of an outcome or a result:
  • virtually certain 99–100% probability
  • extremely likely 95–100%
  • very likely 90– 100%,
  • likely 66–100%,
  • more likely than not >50–100%
  • about as likely as not 33–66%
  • unlikely 0–33%,
  • very unlikely 0–10%
  • extremely unlikely 0–5%
  • exceptionally unlikely 0–1%
What's the first thing they say?

It is unequivocal that human influence has warmed the atmosphere, ocean and land. Widespread and rapid changes in the atmosphere, ocean, cryosphere and biosphere have occurred.
Hmmm, unequivocal isn't even on the list! I'll take that to mean 100% certainty.

...concentrations have continued to increase in the atmosphere, reaching annual averages of 410 ppm for carbon dioxide (CO2), 1866 ppb for methane (CH4), and 332 ppb for nitrous oxide (N2O) in 2019 . Land and ocean have taken up a near-constant proportion (globally about 56% per year) of CO2 emissions from human activities over the past six decades, with regional differences (high confidence)
NASA says the CO2 concentration in 5/21 was 419 parts per million. Bugs me that the data is two years old. That 56% is interesting, that's far more than expected from #9.

High confidence? What's that mean anyway? Well, here's a note on it from the AR4 report:
yp5zpvsf-1377055970.jpg

Okay, starting to get the hang of it...

It is likely that well-mixed Greenhouse Gases (GHGs) contributed a warming of 1.0°C to 2.0°C, other human drivers (principally aerosols) contributed a cooling of 0.0°C to 0.8°C, natural drivers changed global surface temperature by –0.1°C to 0.1°C, and internal variability changed it by –0.2°C to 0.2°C. It is very likely that well-mixed GHGs were the main driver of tropospheric warming since 1979, and extremely likely that human-caused stratospheric ozone depletion was the main driver of cooling of the lower stratosphere between 1979 and the mid-1990s.

Mid-latitude storm tracks have likely shifted poleward in both hemispheres since the 1980s, with marked seasonality in trends (medium confidence)

It is very likely that human influence has contributed to the observed surface melting of the Greenland Ice Sheet over the past two decades, but there is only limited evidence, with medium agreement, of human influence on the Antarctic Ice Sheet mass loss.

There is high confidence that oxygen levels have dropped in many upper ocean regions since the mid-20th century, and medium confidence that human influence contributed to this drop.

Global mean sea level increased by0.15 to 0.25 m between 1901 and 2018. The average rate of sea level rise was 1.3 mm yr–1 between 1901 and 1971, increasing to 1.9 mm yr–1 between 1971 and 2006, and further increasing to 3.7 mm yr–1 between 2006 and 2018 (high confidence).

the growing season has on average lengthened by up to two days per decade since the 1950s in the Northern Hemisphere extratropics (high confidence).

Human influence has warmed the climate at a rate that is unprecedented in at least the last 2000 years...warm periods were caused by slow (multi-millennial) orbital variations...
But there are faster warming periods in our history before then.

1628531595151.png
I like this graph, illustrates how important it is to get rid of methane. Interesting that sulfur dioxide's impact is so large, it's one of the benefits of burning coal. Well, up to page 10 ;-)

...the latitude where tropical cyclones in the western North Pacific reach their peak intensity has shifted northward...

It is very likely that heavy precipitation events will intensify and become more frequent in most regions with additional global warming. At the global scale, extreme daily precipitation events are projected to intensify by about 7% for each 1°C of global warming (high confidence). The proportion of intense tropical cyclones (categories 4-5) and peak wind speeds of the most intense tropical cyclones are projected to increase at the global scale with increasing global warming (high confidence).

At 2°C global warming and above, the level of confidence in and the magnitude of the change in droughts and heavy and mean precipitation increase compared to those at 1.5°C. Heavy precipitation and associated flooding events are projected to become more intense and frequent in the Pacific Islands and across many regions of North America and Europe (medium to high confidence). These changes are also seen in some regions in Australasia and Central and South America (medium confidence). Several regions in Africa, South America and Europe are projected to experience an increase in frequency and/or severity of agricultural and ecological droughts with medium to high confidence; increases are also projected in Australasia, Central and North America, and the Caribbean with medium confidence. A small number of regions in Africa, Australasia, Europe and North America are also projected to be affected by increases in hydrological droughts, and several regions are projected to be affected by increases or decreases in meteorological droughts with more regions displaying an increase (medium confidence). Mean precipitation is projected to increase in all polar, northern European and northern North American regions, most Asian regions and two regions of South America (high confidence).

Based on paleoclimate and historical evidence, it is likely that at least one large explosive volcanic eruption would occur during the 21st century. Such an eruption would reduce global surface temperature and precipitation, especially over land, for one to three years, alter the global monsoon circulation, modify extreme precipitation...(medium confidence). If such an eruption occurs, this would therefore temporarily and partially mask human-caused climate change.

Overall, there is high confidence that the global energy budget is 19 closed for 1971–2018 with improved consistency compared to AR5
From their table the Earth's energy imbalance (2006-2018) is 0.79 [0.52 to 1.06] W m-2

SROCC concluded that there has very likely been a net loss of oxygen over all ocean depths since the 1960s linked to global ocean deoxygenation at a range of 0.3–2.0%, and that the oxygen levels in the global upper 1000 m of the ocean had decreased by 0.5–3.3% during 1970–2010 (medium confidence), alongside an expansion of oxygen minimum zones (OMZ) by 3–8%. For the surface ocean (0–100 m) and the thermocline at 100–600 m, the very likely range of oxygen decline was assessed to be 0.2–2.1% and 0.7–3.5%, respectively. Multidecadal rates of deoxygenation showed variability throughout the water column and across ocean basins (high confidence).

...clouds remain the largest contribution to overall uncertainty in climate feedbacks (high confidence)

Last edited:
Up to page 60, I swear the report would be a third of it's size if they took out the phase Human influence has. What's interesting is that they don't claim humans are the only factor, just influencing other things going on. I get why they drag the point on, we started it and only we can halt/reverse it. Not like the dolphins have a plan (they should, that deoxygenation of the ocean sounds bad for their food supply).

In the end, it really doesn't matter. If we want the sea level and weather patterns to stay where they're at regardless of long-term natural cycles, then we need to do some planetary engineering/terraforming (other than the accidental ones we've done making electricity, concrete, and cows).

Might not be too much more to report from it, the section I'm in now is "what if" based on how much we curtail emissions and is all low probability so not much reason to report it.

Also looks like I owe China an apology. :cry: They signed onto the Montreal Accords and banned CFCs in 1991. The CFCs that have been spewing out of their country are rogue operations. If you're into the Tom Clancey stuff, it's an interesting read of government denial/acceptance. Not sure why the U.S. just wouldn't share satellite imagery of where it was being produced ;-). Anyway, it quietly got stopped... ref... so kudos to the Chinese investigators and authorities that took action. Can't help but think there's a movie that should be made from it (Steven Soderbergh?).

Easy-to-read NASA report on what the hoopla about the 1.5°C and 2.0°C. They're somewhat non-exact temperatures, but the rallying cry is essentially to not pass the 1.5°C mark.

stop buying any products made with CFCs (which are primarily foam insulation and packing materials).
is neoprene foam like this? i like it’s physical properties but would like to begin searching if production requires excessive GHG potential

is neoprene foam like this? i like it’s physical properties but would like to begin searching if production requires excessive GHG potential
Probably not, as I discovered/reported in #89 products aren't made with CFCs anymore (it was old data, prior to 2021).

1628680850682.png
So does this mean I've become a believer?
Doesn't seem to make a difference what we believe. Climate change is natural, but it's also expensive and the global temperature is going up.
The bottom line is if we like our coastlines and weather, want to avoid famine, war, refugees, and diseases; then the only way is to control the climate.

Last edited:
About that Ocean Warming...

Warm-water fish usually survive for short periods at dissolved-oxygen concentrations
as low as 1.0 m/L, while cold-water fish normally survive at 2.5 to 3.5 mg/L dissolved
oxygen
. However, fish and other aquatic animals are stressed, susceptible to diseases
and grow slowly at low dissolved-oxygen concentrations. ref
If I'm reading it right, healthy levels look to be around >7 mg/L for cold-water fish.
Seems like fish "migrate" to cooler waters, but a localize temperature spike (e.g., like
a land heatwave might catch them to where they couldn't swim away).
graph_oxygen_concentration_vs_650.png
bf-environmental-range-of-tolerance-for-dissoved-oxygen-parts-per-million-chart.jpg

A graphic from the IPCC report shows possible weather changes based on temperature increases. So, for example, 10% more intense hurricanes at 1.5°C. Interestingly, the more powerful portion of the storm is expected to move northward too.

1628700527947.png

A graphic from the IPCC report shows possible weather changes based on temperature increases. So, for example, 10% more intense hurricanes at 1.5°C. Interestingly, the more powerful portion of the storm is expected to move northward too.

View attachment 59719
all the people saying these ground mount wind turbines aren’t going to generate their rated power will be wrong oh wrong! ?

well, there goes my hurricane VAWT hurricane 1.21 jiggawatts crackpot theory.?

trying to gently crack a joke about how people around the forum say if you install a close to ground wind turbine it won’t produce anywhere near the rated power output

well, there goes my hurricane VAWT hurricane 1.21 jiggawatts crackpot theory.?

trying to gently crack a joke about how people around the forum say if you install a close to ground wind turbine it won’t produce anywhere near the rated power output

Gotcha covered. I caught the humor. Everyone else may be laughing as you, but I'm laughing with you.
cool2.gif

The bottom line is if we like our coastlines and weather, want to avoid famine, war, refugees, and diseases; then the only way is to control the climate.

The biggest thing I'm concerned about is that in our rush to try to "control the climate" we will make some HUGE errors .... try to do some BIG things to make a difference.
Humans may be a little too arrogant in thinking they can engineer the climate.

There were some scientists who thought there was a possibility that setting off a nuclear explosion might cause a chain reaction that would destroy the earth .... we did it anyway.

Back