diy solar

diy solar

Can someone review my system before I purchase an inverter please

MrPsychedelic

So my plan was to use an MPP Solar LV6548 Hybrid for my inverter and solar charge controller. Then I was thinking of using the Rich Solar version instead based off price and I've used their products in the past. I am also considering a Victron system, but I know that would be considerably more expensive, just the solar controller would be able the same price as the other AIO's.

I am going to be running (5) 540W panels. I planned on doing 3s2p, but if you guys think its better to just run 4 panels I can try and sell one, or keep as a spare. They are going ontop of a box truck. If I run 4 they will be connected directly to unistrut level with the roof. If I run 5 they will still be connected to unistrut, but it will be 10" off the roof, connected to the unistrut secured directly to the roof. That is so I can have my air fans on the roof to circulate air, and remove humidity from the shower.

I am making a 16s2p battery, so it will have 29Kwh of storage. I would rather have to much battery then not enough, so thats why I am going with 2 48V batteries.

The biggest power hog I will be running is the 9k btu minisplit, which uses around 840W, I plan to keep power useage to under 12-15kwh a day, and thats also being excessive. The inverter will have to stay on 24/7 to power the fridge so that will use a bit of power. 1-2kwh depending on which inverter I go with.

I just wanted to get everyones opinion before buying an inverter.

Thanks!

5 panels can not be connected 3S2P since that would be 6 panels. In order to connect in parallel the voltage must be similar. With 5 panels you are either forced into 5S or 5P. Since your panels are 49.5Voc that would be ~250Voc for all series connected at 12.97a. In parallel since it is rated 12.97Imp the current goes to about 65 amps at 49.5Voc (it may be 49.5Voc is not high enough for your SCC in the AIO).

If you are making your own batteries why not make 2-16S ones, with their own BMS, and then parallel them for a 2P 48vDC setup.

Last edited:
5 panels can not be connected 3S2P since that would be 6 panels. In order to connect in parallel the voltage must be similar. With 5 panels you are either forced into 5S or 5P. Since your panels are 49.5Voc that would be ~250Voc for all series connected at 12.97a. In parallel since it is rated 12.97Imp the current goes to about 65 amps at 49.5Voc (it may be 49.5Voc is not high enough for your SCC in the AIO).

If you are making your own batteries why not make 2-16S ones, with their own BMS, and then parallel them for a 2P 48vDC setup.
So then I should try and sell a panel, or keep one as an extra incase one breaks. I can run 2s2p with the 4 panels. I wont have as much wattage but 2.2k is still a good bit of wattage.

Thats what I am doing, I think I might suck at explaining things lol. I will have 2 bms, 1 on each 48V battery and then connect those 2 batteries together. That is the safest option right?

diy solar

diy solar
Back