diy solar

diy solar

Can't Turn Off Protection Locking

Schtevie

I have a JBD-SP04S010 BMS that I am using on a 4S Lifepo4 battery. I am using the 'Xiaoxiang BMS' monitoring application version 3.1.1021 on an android phone. I can't seem to get the BMS out of 'protection locking' as shown in the image. I also cannot enable the 'charging' and 'discharge' toggle switches in the app, also shown on the image. I must be missing something basic, but can't figure out what's going on here. I also tried resetting the protection parameters to the 'Lifepo4 normal' setting in the app, thinking I accidentally changed a protection value that is not allowing the BMS to function. It didn't help. Any ideas?

11.png

Try using the Android version available from the OverkillSolar.com website. I think my version is 1015 or something like that. Mine looks slightly different, but it works on Android.

Do you have all the cables and leads connected correctly?

Thanks for the ideas. I originally had version 1015 installed, but upgraded to this version hoping 'the latest and greatest' would fix the issue. Unfortunately the app version didn't change anything. I check all the individual cell voltages with a multimeter on the board, and they are what they should be. The correct voltages show for each of the series cell packs, but it won't allow charging or discharging. It's almost like the BMS is locked somehow?

I tried to jumper the only thing that looked like it might apply:

14.png

After doing so, the android app sees the Bluetooth connection, but it can't connect. I tried the 'fix' option in the app as well as restarting my phone, but still can't connect.

Thanks for trying to help @HRTKD . I bought this on ebay for $40 so it's just going in the trash. I honestly don't trust it to protect anything at this point even if I get it working.

Get one from Overkill Solar. He probably would have already taken care of you.
Yes! I already tried to order from him but at checkout there's a message that says he's running behind in shipment and to wait to order if you can. So I guess I'll wait :cry:

I think I have the same/similar problem.
Using android app V3.1.1015
The locking event seems to coincide with my converter going to float this morning
I shorted the discharge pins and no joy
I disconnected/re-connected the balance leads and no joy.
Disabled swtich funciton on the functions page and no joy.
Disabled load check on the same page and no joy.
Screenshot_20210224-145824.png
Screenshot_20210224-150036.png

Is your high temp threshold set too low? It's a reasonable temperature, but the parameters may not agree.
charging over temp=65c
release=55c

charging under temp=1c
release=10c

discharge over temp=75c
release=65c

discharge under temp=-10c
release=0c

I don't see any other parameters that jump out either.

I think I have the same/similar problem.
Using android app V3.1.1015
The locking event seems to coincide with my converter going to float this morning
I shorted the discharge pins and no joy
I disconnected/re-connected the balance leads and no joy.
Disabled swtich funciton on the functions page and no joy.
Disabled load check on the same page and no joy.

Also had same/similar problem here. After several normal cycles, while charging, at about 0.2v from the upper charge limit, something happened where BMS locked up and would not function normally at all. Couldn't view or alter settings, sporadic crashing app, everything slow, but could still see cell voltages. "Over-current" and "Locking" msgs, although there was apparently no over current.

I fussed with the app and hardware for a while same as you, restarted/reinstalled app, downgraded the version, switched driving/monitoring modes...no joy. Had to disconnect from inverter and pull balance connector, then reconnected everything/restarted and all was well again. Still unsure what went awry.

SOLVED:
I toggled dashboard type to "Driving mode" and back to "Monitoring mode" and that released the lock.
Bummer....
About to go on a trip and this new battery / BMS (Overkill Solar) was going to make it pleasurable. I got in this state Discharge: off / Protection: Locking. After trying different things including disconnect/re-connect wiring, I found this thread - I tried just toggling back and forth and that didn't work for me. I then tried toggling to Driving Mode and noted the graphic lock on the dashboard. Tapping it changed to unlock mode and it started discharging. I then reverted back to Monitor mode. All is good now.

Thanks for your solution!

Last edited:
How the heck does the App/BMS get into the Driving and Lock modes?
I'm not exactly sure what I did. I didn't short anything, but I was charging and then connected a trivial USB port to charge a tablet off the battery while it was charging. I also, was fiddling with multiple phones and tablets trying to connect them to the BMS. I discovered only one device can connect. Its a real bad software design - Not only can one connect at a time, but until the old one is UNLINK'd another cannot be registered and connected. So... if your phone dies, there doesn't seem a way to connect another device.

Back