diy solar

diy solar

charge controller repeat failures????

james 1951

I use a 24 volt system for about 20 years. I am having problems with the charge controller. I bought an Ooycyoo 60 watt controller that worked well for about 2 months and failed. I replaced it with the same model. It was great for 1 week. I turned off the inverter at bedtime and in the AM the controller was dead. It was receiving the available input an 38 volts, about 8 amps. I cannot figure what is happening.
I am new at the forum process. I can return the charge controller but need to know what is going on. Has the Ooycyoo chg controller been a problem for others??
Any suggestions will be welcome.

Give your solar array specifics. How many panels, wattage, Voc, Imp and how connected. Plus your Voc rating on the SCC.

I have 4 180 watt sharp panels. I changed all batteries to gell type in the Fall for the 24 volt system. Since i was having trouble i changed the Xantrex charge controller (85 watt) to the Ooycyoo 90 watt and left out 2 panels temporarily so my max amperage is only 10 i.e. 5 amps per panel. As per my original post the chg controller went down at night with the inverter off. My solar input that morning was the 38 volt range and about 8 amps. I can return the charge controller but i want to know what is going on. The ooycyoo controller has an "evening system status" which is poorly explained in the manual. It was set to the default of 24 hours. The reset button does nothing to reboot. Thanks for any suggestions.

We need numbers. BTW SCC are not listed by wattage they are listed for charge current.

Give your solar array specifics. How many panels, wattage, Voc, Imp and how connected. Plus your Voc rating on the SCC.
I was going to ask about the panels like Mattb4 but I noticed you said it died at night. Strange...

Did the controller have continuous battery power connected? Was the battery dead?
Yes. I turn off the inverter at night and have about 24.8 to about 25 volts at bedtime. The batts had 25 volts in the AM when the problem was discovered.

Yes. I turn off the inverter at night and have about 24.8 to about 25 volts at bedtime. The batts had 25 volts in the AM when the problem was discovered.
Sounds defective.

I don't know anything about ooycyoo controllers. I have and recommend Morningstar brand.

There are 2 180 watt sharp collectors in use, at 38 volt and 5 amp output. I am using 6 new (lasr Fall) AGM batts.

The 'evening system status' could be a way to program the load outputs for lighting duration control, I doubt its anything to do with charging.
For solar controllers I recomend Victron Smart range. Besides easy programming and useful data recording you have a 5 year warranty.

As regards your issues, the manual for your controller suggests the input voltage needs to be over 37 volts for a 24 volt system, you need the two panels in series.

If failure occurred at the moment of inverter switch off perhaps a surge, is the inverter on the load outputs?

Mike

Last edited:
The 'evening system status' could be a way to program the load outputs for lighting duration control, I doubt its anything to do with charging.
For solar controllers I recomend Victron Smart range. Besides easy programming and useful data recording you have a 5 year warranty.

As regards your issues, the manual for your controller suggests the input voltage needs to be 37 volts for a 24 volt system, you need the two panels in series.

If failure occurred at the moment of inverter switch off perhaps a surge, is the inverter on the load outputs?

Mike
I originally had 4 140 watt panels in series and parallel. I had changed to 4 180 watt panels several years ago and left them series parallel. The voltage was high and i went to two 180s in parallel for the 38 volts rated after the first Ooycyoo controller failure. The controller is rated for 36 to 108 volts. The status light and the panel read normal when the inverter was turned off. I will reconnect the 2 other panels in series and parallel and see how it goes. Thank you.

From a quick look up of a Ooycyoo 60a SCC it states 96Voc max. This may not be your model but your voltage range you mentioned in likley operational range (it could be based on battery voltage) The reason I asked for your panels ratings and configuration was to find out what your voltage was when you where not drawing current. If that was close to the the max Voc of the SCC it could damage the SCC at times your battery reached full charge and ceased drawing from the panels. In all your posts til this last one you failed to mention exactly what your panel ratings are for Voc. In it you do mention possible present panel configurations but it is vague. Series and parallel to get 38v is not likely the voltage for the panels based on typical Voc for panels.

Your panels should have a label on the back with the specifications on it. Your SCC should come with an operations manual with a list of the specifications. When asked what they are do not attempt to estimate them but simply go look for the actual numbers. The time that the SCC failed is likely not overnight but you do not know it has failed until the next day when you no longer get output.

Thank you for a thorough reading of my posts. The prior controller was operated on 4 panels in series and parallel. That was due to prior panels rated 140 watts. I installed this current O. controller on 4-14 this year. At the time i dropped 2 panels and wired 2 in parallel. The panels, Sharp are rated "max Power" 180 W and open circuit current is 5.6 amps. I installed this current controller on 4-14-23. The controller never saw over 40 volts. It worked 7 days. I shut down the inverter at bedtime, well after dark. The status light and the "LCD interface" was on (the controller). In the AM when i turned on the inverter the controller was off. No status light or LCD interface were lit. l. Batteries were around 24.8 to 25 V at bedtime and still there in the AM. The morning incoming voltage was about 38 V but under 1 amp (higher later). I checked fuses which are good. The only thing stated in the controller manual was to press reset. That had no result. I will replace the controller but i wish to know what is going on. I cannot find a problem with my system feeding juice to the controller, but nothing comes out on the battery side. I must conclude the controller has failed. I appreciate any info you may share.

Back