diy solar

diy solar

Charger recommendation needed for LiFePO4 battery

archerga

Will, We purchase the budget EG4 server rack battery you have in this video from your affiliate. We purchased a PowerMax PM4 75 Amp charger. We have the charger set with a fixed stage and 14.0 volts per the battery mfg requirements. We are having problems with the battery going into a protect state for over voltage on cell 4. We have cycled the battery down to 20% and charged back to 100% for 7 days. Still having the same issues after 7 days of frustration. We have been told by the battery seller's customer support that the charger is not compatible with our lithium battery. What charger did you use to charge the EG4 LiFePO4 battery in this video? Any recommendation that are budget-friendly for our RV?

Will, We purchase the budget EG4 server rack battery you have in this video from your affiliate. We purchased a PowerMax PM4 75 Amp charger. We have the charger set with a fixed stage and 14.0 volts per the battery mfg requirements. We are having problems with the battery going into a protect state for over voltage on cell 4. We have cycled the battery down to 20% and charged back to 100% for 7 days. Still having the same issues after 7 days of frustration. We have been told by the battery seller's customer support that the charger is not compatible with our lithium battery. What charger did you use to charge the EG4 LiFePO4 battery in this video? Any recommendation that are budget-friendly for our RV?

Try charging to 13.8v and see if you still get the overvolt protection on cell 4.

I'm dealing with this also right now, with a different lifepo4 battery. Out of balance cells is very common. @sunshine_eggo is good at helping rectify this issue.

Try charging to 13.8v and see if you still get the overvolt protection on cell 4.

I'm dealing with this also right now, with a different lifepo4 battery. Out of balance cells is very common. @sunshine_eggo is good at helping rectify this issue.
I tried 13.8 v and the battery still went to a Protected SOC. The charger company said that it is normal. Is there a way to change the state of the battery from Protected without restarting the battery? @sunshine_eggo any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I tried 13.8 v and the battery still went to a Protected SOC. The charger company said that it is normal. Is there a way to change the state of the battery from Protected without restarting the battery?

I'm not an expert on this, but AFAIK, if the BMS is kicking into protection at 13.8v, you've got a bigger than normal problem. Who did you buy the battery from, how long have you had it? If you've only had the battery for a short bit and the cells came so out of balance that 13.8v triggers protection, then I would talk to the seller about a replacement or discount (but only go the discount route if you can determine that the balance issue is fixable).

I'm not an expert on this, but AFAIK, if the BMS is kicking into protection at 13.8v, you've got a bigger than normal problem. Who did you buy the battery from, how long have you had it? If you've only had the battery for a short bit and the cells came so out of balance that 13.8v triggers protection, then I would talk to the seller about a replacement or discount (but only go the discount route if you can determine that the balance issue is fixable).
The battery is from Signature Solar.

Back