diy solar

diy solar

Chargeverter settings … eg4 LifePower4 Batteries

I am thinking about a 24vac thermostat/bell transformer used in HVAC systems. Use the dry contacts and 24vac to operate a 24vac coil - 240vac contactor used in HVAC condenser units. I am just not comfortable putting 120/240vac into the dry contacts.
I am also looking at Solid State Relays where the DC input will be controlled by 12vdc via the dry contacts since I have a 30-90 vdc to 12vdc buck converter installed (powered by the battery stack via an inline fuse) which powers my PI and 10 inch touch screen. Another possibility is to use a low voltage opto-isolated relay via the dry contacts (and 12vdc) to control the contactor. In any case I want to use low voltage (24vac or less) via the dry contacts to control the contactor.

I would not in this case …. I ordered one of them relays and sent it back … there is no way the device can handle the 240v side…they are tiny and just could not support that type of throughput… but they came it can … not in my RV …

Oh I like the raspberry PI switch .. damn. … the cool stuff we can do with that …

I would not in this case …. I ordered one of them relays and sent it back … there is no way the device can handle the 240v side…they are tiny and just could not support that type of throughput… but they came it can … not in my RV …

Oh I like the raspberry PI switch .. damn. … the cool stuff we can do with that …
The small relay would provide isolation between the dry contacts and the 240vac contactor. The small relay gets energized by 12vdc via the dry contacts and then provides the power to energized the contactor, complete isolation between the CVGC dry contacts and the heavy duty contactor.
I would also like the option of using logic in the PI to drive the small relay rather than the dry contacts of the CVGC. I have batteries with dry contacts and the inverter also has dry contacts. Just need to isolate the contactor relay (24vac) and contactor high voltage from the dry contacts.

The small relay would provide isolation between the dry contacts and the 240vac contactor. The small relay gets energized by 12vdc via the dry contacts and then provides the power to energized the contactor, complete isolation between the CVGC dry contacts and the heavy duty contactor.
I would also like the option of using logic in the PI to drive the small relay rather than the dry contacts of the CVGC. I have batteries with dry contacts and the inverter also has dry contacts. Just need to isolate the contactor relay (24vac) and contactor high voltage from the dry contacts.
Other than when you have your fingers in it, why bother? The dry contacts (in the 18Kpv anyway, there's been enough focus drift in this thread I'm no longer sure what anyone else is doing) have a rating of 250V and 5A, so as long as you are under that, you are safe. My relays draw so little current at 120Vac it's not even worth worrying about.

The USB relay for the Raspberry Pi (case at https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6696579) is good for doing overrides (on/off/auto), but you don't need another relay to isolate your relay from the relay in the inverter that's doing the Dry Relay Contacts thing.

Other than when you have your fingers in it, why bother? The dry contacts (in the 18Kpv anyway, there's been enough focus drift in this thread I'm no longer sure what anyone else is doing) have a rating of 250V and 5A, so as long as you are under that, you are safe. My relays draw so little current at 120Vac it's not even worth worrying about.

The USB relay for the Raspberry Pi (case at https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6696579) is good for doing overrides (on/off/auto), but you don't need another relay to isolate your relay from the relay in the inverter that's doing the Dry Relay Contacts thing.
Many small relays do have a 125VAC 10A rating. However the circuit board traces to which the relay is mounted and the wiring from the circuit board to the dry contact connections on the CGCV case may not have the same rating. In many cases the wire from the circuit board to the case connector is 22awg (or smaller) which has a smaller current rating (7 to 5 amps) than the relay itself. I would rather have some isolation between a home built device and my $500.00plus CVGC.

I would rather be safe than fry something.

Many generator auto start systems (for which the dry contact design is based) simply provide a ground path by shorting the two gen start leads. The auto start system uses the 12vdc starter battery as the power source. In this scenario the dry contacts are simply providing a very low amp grounding connection which would be well within the CVGC (or inverter) dry contact design.

I am providing "MY OPINION" for what will be my design as safety (electrical) and longevity is a primary concern and there may be a number of folks that come to this forum with a desire to accomplish what you and I are doing. I try to emphasize safety as best I can.

I also want some way to audibly and/or visually signal that I need to start my generator as it is a 12kw gas generator without and auto start. I could buy an after market auto start module which would not work for me because I close the gas shutoff valve after unloading the generator thus allowing for cool down while draining the carburetor. The generator shuts down when the carburetor runs out of gas. This helps prevent "varnish" buildup in the carburetor during extended storage/non-use.

Ok I installed the 120/240 contactor and put a inline glass fuses on both side of dry contacts from Chargeverter I used a .25 amp 250v glass fuse on the common and also on the the yellow/brown NO just incase any high amperage was to come from either side. Make sure to tape up the NC Red/Blk. I Set the Chargeverter and it turns on and off perfect. I’ll monitor progress and May install a 0.1 amp glass fuse to see if any amperage is flowing thru. I know this was a question for most of us is how much amperage is flowing. I did put a meter on the contacts but was not reading any amprege. So not sure how low my meter will read. I installed in a plastic box on top of a 240v 30amp grid feed that I split to both inverters for a back up charger and installed the 30amp plug for Chargeverter on plate. This is a deep grounded box for the wire connections and plug. I will use this set up on a daily basis until I purchase PV panels and build PV panel carport for my truck. Thanks again MattMan for all your help. Pictures are attached.

Attachments

• IMG_9414.jpeg
    IMG_9414.jpeg
    152.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_9415.jpeg
    IMG_9415.jpeg
    129.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9416.jpeg
    IMG_9416.jpeg
    256.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9417.jpeg
    IMG_9417.jpeg
    167.7 KB · Views: 7
Ok I installed the 120/240 contactor and put a inline glass fuses on both side of dry contacts from Chargeverter I used a .25 amp 250v glass fuse on the common and also on the the yellow/brown NO just incase any high amperage was to come from either side. Make sure to tape up the NC Red/Blk. I Set the Chargeverter and it turns on and off perfect. I’ll monitor progress and May install a 0.1 amp glass fuse to see if any amperage is flowing thru. I know this was a question for most of us is how much amperage is flowing. I did put a meter on the contacts but was not reading any amprege. So not sure how low my meter will read. I installed in a plastic box on top of a 240v 30amp grid feed that I split to both inverters for a back up charger and installed the 30amp plug for Chargeverter on plate. This is a deep grounded box for the wire connections and plug. I will use this set up on a daily basis until I purchase PV panels and build PV panel carport for my truck. Thanks again MattMan for all your help. Pictures are attached.
I did a continuity test with my meter and it was enough to set off relay .. so got to be very very low.

Glad to be a help and glad it all worked out for ya ..

Last edited:
So the dry contacts on the chargeverter control the relay?
The 120/240v contactor yes It works flawlessly it will be a daily event for my system until I install a PV system, then in theory will only need to activate if solar production is low. Thanks to Matt Mann it’s his design.

So the dry contacts on the chargeverter control the relay?
You can you dry contacts from inverter for SOC .. or from chargeverter if you have comms available with the chargeverter.. they both work perfectly depending on how you have SOC available …

I used the interverter (6000xp) dry contacts, but I have also used the chargeverter .. but if you have the comms setup with batteries to go with inverter then you will want to keep it .. so options are available ….

diy solar

diy solar
Back