diy solar

diy solar

Charging 12v and 24v batteries from single mppt and dump load water heater.

brianjonesphoto

I have 2 lfp batteries I would like to charge from a single charge controller. A 12v/150ah and a 24v/304ah.

The 12v system runs my trailer electrical system and currently uses a SBSM0 with 2 12v 100 watt panels.

The 24v system is used to recharge our electric dirt bikes and is a mobile system that is independent of the trailer but is often transported inside it.

My goal is to be able to charge both batteries from the same solar array and utilize the solar idle time to heat a dc water heater.

I’ll likely start with 2 450ish panels and a controller (sized for future expansion to 4 panels) mounted to the trailer. The current 12v panel will need to be removed for space.

Here’s where I go “off script” from the usual application. Set the mppt to output for 24v nominal. Use a 15amp buck converter in parallel to the mppt output to send metered current charge to the 12v system. This would allow the current to be sent to the 24v system. The 24v and 12v batteries would both share charge current as long as there was good sun. The 12v battery is a bit over sized and rarely sees 60% DoD so it will charge quickly. I would then set up a voltage sensing relay to divert 24v current to the water heater when the mppt output reaches 28v indicating that all batteries are fully charged and there are no other loads.

I know a better solution would be upgrading the trailer to a 24v battery but that isn’t an expense I have budget for at the moment.

Thanks.

Another idea - get two mppt’s one setup for 12v and the other setup for 24v they stay wired to the batteries. Then switch the power from the panels to the mppt you wish to be using. It could be a manual switch or relays.

Why not just have the array charge the 24v bank then get a b2b charger that charges the 12v bank?

Victron makes a nice 24 to 12v charger in multiple different sizes.

Orion-Tr Smart 24/12-30A (360W) Isolated DC-DC Charger B2B Booster https://a.co/d/6p9hZrP

That is what I’m trying to do, but the 24v battery will
Not always be plugged into the solar controller.

A 24-12v battery to battery charger is essentially an over priced cc/cv buck converter that regulates current. Why spend $$$$ when a $30-$60 part will do exactly the same thing.

That is what I’m trying to do, but the 24v battery will
Not always be plugged into the solar controller.

A 24-12v battery to battery charger is essentially an over priced cc/cv buck converter that regulates current. Why spend $$$$ when a $30-$60 part will do exactly the same thing.
I think you’re trying to make this way too complicated. Get a second charge controller and be done with it. $11 for a 30a pwm:

EEEkit 30A Solar Charge Controller, Solar Panel Charger Controller 12V/24V, Multi-Function Adjustable LCD Display with Dual USB Port Timer Setting PWM Auto Parameter https://a.co/d/fuyvFIi

Or if you want more juice, there’s a 100A model for $33:
EEEKit MPPT 100A Solar Charge Controller, Upgraded Solar Panel 12V 24V Dual USB Intelligent Regulator, Adjustable Parameter Backlight LCD Display and Timer Setting, Multi-Function Protection https://a.co/d/dVu3YQJ

Last edited:
Back