diy solar

diy solar

Charging 300-350VDC battery?

fafrd

Solar Wizard
I’m trying to help out my brother who is interested to capture solar energy into a 350VDC battery to power his well pump overnight.

He’s found several OTS batteries in the 300-350VDC range but is striking out on finding any solar charge controllers that charge within that voltage range.

I’ve looked quickly and come up with nothing so I thought I’d post here in case anyone has any experience of ideas…

I know this is the "Danger Zone" but please don't lose sight of the fact that a battery of this magnitude, even a small Ah one, can send you into the next world with nary a puff of smoke.

Great care, proper working practices and proper PPE are order of the day!

I know this is the "Danger Zone" but please don't lose sight of the fact that a battery of this magnitude, even a small Ah one, can send you into the next world with nary a puff of smoke.

Great care, proper working practices and proper PPE are order of the day!
Yes, of course.

He already had a professional installer who has installed his existing solar array operating at this voltage along with the inverter and well pump working off that power.

He’s looking for a way to capture some excess solar energy for use overnight but his pump/solar guy has no solutions to offer.

So I’m trying to help him out to suggest any solution I can find / suggest to his pump/solar guy.

This is getting into the lower levels of EV battery territory, but I can’t find any UL-listed SCCs operating at that voltage.

Yeah, I’ve seen a few options in China which are probably an indication of the sorts of products we’ll have over here in 3-5 years.

That specific model is too high voltage (375VDC is his absolute maximum but 300 to 350VDC would be ideal).

We seem to have a bunch of offerings over 400VDC here on the US but little / nothing in that ‘dead zone’

That specific model is too high voltage (375VDC is his absolute maximum but 300 to 350VDC would be ideal).
The description says the voltage is "settable" although does not specify the range. Consider contacting the supplier for the manual.

The description says the voltage is "settable" although does not specify the range. Consider contacting the supplier for the manual.
Thanks for the heads-up. I’ll forward the link to my brother and see whether he and his installer are interested enough in a product option from China to follow up…

Looks like this would work if my brother’s installer is comfortable installing an SCC from China:

Thanks for the find :)

He already had a professional installer who has installed his existing solar array operating at this voltage along with the inverter and well pump working off that power.
Does he already have the battery? What are the specs of the inverter that runs the well pump? Is it a grid tie inverter? Presumably the pump runs at 120 or 240 volts?

Does he already have the battery?
No, not yet. But we’ve found a few suitable batteries available here in the states…
What are the specs of the inverter that runs the well pump?
It’s a 3-phase industrial inverter. The inverter needs a DC range of 250-360VDC with an absolute max rating of 375VDC.
Is it a grid tie inverter? Presumably the pump runs at 120 or 240 volts?
No, this is an islanded install in the middle of nowhere in a field near the pump. He’s already maxing out the pump during daylight hours and needs more water. So adding more solar so that he can pump overnight is the only viable option.

I came here wondering this as well.

If it is able to be set the voltages you'd be able to charge a EV traction battery directly via this (possibly) and then run a inverter off of it as well, no?

I watched a video of Jack talking about this before he died, saying this needs to be the way so we don't need massive bus bars/wiring..... Were not just talking DIY Ev batteries here either. While the high voltages are not as "safe" (if you thouch them) a properly built system off (roughly) 400VDC would be safer. Its why you don't find EV's running 48 VDC systems.

I'm sure all of this has been covered before...I lurk here from time to time, but I've not posted much recently. I just bought a wrecked Leaf and would much prefer (wouldn't we all) to use the entire pack (obviously not mounted in a living structure). BMS included.

I'd say its possible to use everything out of the leaf (if need be) and have a "all in one" that is capable of running batteryless actually run the stock Leaf Charger, while another one actually ran off the pack to power the AC your wanting to use. But that sure would involve a lot of "loss" and it would be awkward af.

Back