diy solar

diy solar

Charging AA & AAA for Amish community

I find it almost absurd. It's my understanding that part of their motivation is to reduce dependence on the outside world.

AA and AAA batteries - I doubt they're making their own.
Fuel for their engine - i doubt they drill and refine their own.

One time purchase of wee tiny solar system and some portion of a bucket of rechargeable NiMH, and they're independent of the outside for YEARS.

I find it almost absurd. It's my understanding that part of their motivation is to reduce dependence on the outside world.

AA and AAA batteries - I doubt they're making their own.
Fuel for their engine - i doubt they drill and refine their own.

One time purchase of wee tiny solar system and some portion of a bucket of rechargeable NiMH, and they're independent of the outside for YEARS.
I totally agree. But it is what it is. I tried to do solar first, but it was a HARD NO. It took 3 months of them talking to get an Ok for this configuration.

But at least it will keep them from using buckets of batteries every month

They are also total pacifists. And i don't agree with that either.

But they are my friends, and I don't require my friends to think the same way I do

That’s strange. I saw some Amish with Solar.

Maybe it varies between sect.
It totally does. What is ok with one group, will be totally not ok in another. It ever goes all the way down to if the buggy wheels are able to have bearings, or not.

It is how they live

Illogical or not, it's their life and their rules, so it has to be done their way. Skip the arguments.
Alternator output vs rpm. MOST alternators reach rated amps around 1750-2000rpm. Running it slower than 3000 rpm increases lifespan.
OK now it's time for MY OPINION.
Nimh AA and AAA batteries only no LifePo4.
Power source should be the woodshop pulley system.
You should be charging the AA and AAA from the battery NOT the alternator. This way charging would be available after work hours
So setup would be a small alternator (40-60 amps) and a BIG battery. There are both 12v 100ah and 200ah AGM batteries for a reasonable price.
Keep the Bishop happy, no 12v cigarette lighter sockets same with USB outlets To many adapters to cell phone chargers. A 12v fuse block and hard wired chargers. Each charger would have it's own fuse.

Some of the logic. An AGM charge rate is .1c, the safe discharge is 50%. So with a 200ah battery you could charge at 20 amps, with a 50% discharge the recharge time would be 5 HR...with an 100ah battery at 50% discharge, the recharge time is the same time @10 amps. A real small alternator.
Put a charger outside in a waterproof box, load it with batteries and folks could come by at night and exchange batteries. I'm thinking the honor system works real well with the Amish.

Last edited:
I have 2 cars that are old and the same model. One has a generator. The other has been retrofitted with a Delco alternator. At idle the generator can not even charge the battery (and this is normal). At idle the alternator will put out 45amps at 14.5V. This is with everything turned on, lights AC etc. Measured current with a clamp ammeter.

I'm sure it's already been asked but what about rechargeable flash lights? I've got several flash lights and head lights that recharge via USB B or C and just love them. Very handy.

I scanned the previous posts and didn't see any mention if they do or don't have gas vehicles. Sorry if I missed it.

You could easily recharge these sorts of flashlight off a vehicles 12v system.

But back to your original post: If you can keep a 12 battery charged up at the woodshop via an alternator then it can have a variety of USB ports for the headlights wired to it. Something like this with a built in voltmeter would allow them to keep an eye on the battery.

I'm sure it's already been asked but what about rechargeable flash lights? I've got several flash lights and head lights that recharge via USB B or C and just love them. Very handy.

I scanned the previous posts and didn't see any mention if they do or don't have gas vehicles. Sorry if I missed it.

You could easily recharge these sorts of flashlight off a vehicles 12v system.

But back to your original post: If you can keep a 12 battery charged up at the woodshop via an alternator then it can have a variety of USB ports for the headlights wired to it. Something like this with a built in voltmeter would allow them to keep an eye on the battery.

One of the rules was nothing that someone could plug into to charge a phone. Eliminates USB in my mind.

One of the rules was nothing that someone could plug into to charge a phone. Eliminates USB in my mind.
I saw “no 120v plugs” mentioned but could have easily missed the "no plugs" at all rule. Darn.

This post has sounded familiar since I first saw it and I finally recall why. Has anyone else read Tommyknockers by Stephen King? Or at least I think that's the book's name.

Anyway, one of the underlying themes that eventually led to the downfall of the Tommyknockers who were the spirits of long dead aliens, IIRC, was that they couldn't seem get away from relying on non-rechargeable batteries. I'll just show myself out.

Edit to fix typo

Last edited:
You should be charging the AA and AAA from the battery NOT the alternator. This way charging would be available after work hours
Unless I missed something, nobody suggested charging directly from the alternator.

Unless I missed something, nobody suggested charging directly from the alternator.
Opening post, woodshop direct charging.
A generator does not require a battery. But they require RPM to make voltage and current.
An alternator requires an "exciter voltage" usually from a battery. The alternator can make more power than a generator at a much lower RPM.
There are so few cars with generators these days, a lot of people use the terms interchangeably

I thought about this last night, what about coupling this to a small wind turbine? No fins, just use that, shaft to shaft. Unsure if this is too new or hard to setup. Never did wind myself.

Opening post, woodshop direct charging.
A generator does not require a battery. But they require RPM to make voltage and current.
An alternator requires an "exciter voltage" usually from a battery. The alternator can make more power than a generator at a much lower RPM.
There are so few cars with generators these days, a lot of people use the terms interchangeably

That is a good point. My grandfather's 62 Belair had a generator with carbon brushes. Honestly not sure if that would work without a battery or not. My guess is that there is a lot of RF noise from them. I remember my brother and I adding resistored spark plugs to the car so that the (tube) radio would work.

My Dad's 65 Dodge station wagon had a true alternator - possibly with an external voltage regulator - not sure, but AFAIK, all alternators require a constant connection to a battery or they will fry almost instantly, at least once the field current is going.

Some are self exciting but as you point out, most of the ones that I have seen use battery voltage to power the field current.

@wme 's suggestion for the 1 wire GM alternator is a good one. The '1 wire" is the 12 volt ( + ) side and the frame is the ( - ) side. In cars, the engine / body provide the electrical return path so just make sure to complete the circuit somehow.

A small permanent motor either brushed or brushless will work as a generator and not require a 12v battery to work. A brushless motor will need rectifiers like an alternator.
Charging a few AA batts in a charger - what does the charger need? 12V at 1amp?

Typically radio frequency interference in an older car is caused by the ignition system.

I thought about this last night, what about coupling this to a small wind turbine? No fins, just use that, shaft to shaft. Unsure if this is too new or hard to setup. Never did wind myself.
thank you, but this is in northern Michigan. I have not seen an single windmill up here . Pretty sure because of the winters

Back