diy solar

diy solar

Charging with variable power supply

bds70

Using my variable power supply to charge either a single cell or a 4s pack, once you set the parameters, should it be in constant current or constant voltage. Mine seems to start in CC then flick to CV.

When it first begins, the charger is trying to reach the set voltage.
And it will provide the maximum current available, based on its limitations or settings.
We call this "constant current" , because the current stays constant. And the voltage will climb, as the battery fills.
When the battery reaches the set voltage, the current flow decreases.
We call this "constant voltage" , because the voltage stays constant. And the current tapers off until the battery is full.

When it first begins, the charger is trying to reach the set voltage.
And it will provide the maximum current available, based on its limitations or settings.
We call this "constant current" , because the current stays constant. And the voltage will climb, as the battery fills.
When the battery reaches the set voltage, the current flow decreases.
We call this "constant voltage" , because the voltage stays constant. And the current tapers off until the battery is full.
Ok, so the cell I am trying to charge started at 3.274V and I am aiming for 3.450V. It's been about 5hrs and it's currently sitting at 3.317v. With 2.650A current.

Never having done this before, I am wondering if that's about right in terms of the time taken. It's still showing CC too.

Ok, so the cell I am trying to charge started at 3.274V and I am aiming for 3.450V. It's been about 5hrs and it's currently sitting at 3.317v. With 2.650A current.

Never having done this before, I am wondering if that's about right in terms of the time taken. It's still showing CC too.
That's a small amount of current.
Depending on the capacity of the battery and the starting SOC, it could take many hours to day's to fully charge.
As long as the voltage is steadily increasing, everything is going properly.

diy solar

diy solar
Back