diy solar

diy solar

Chassis ground safety check request

lawful-nervous

This is the main ground for my system.

It's mounted to the kick plate just above the wheel well. I sanded around the spot to bare metal and installed a zinc rivnut to hold it in place.

The bolt is 3/8 stainless steel with stainless steel washer and split lock washer.

The terminal is copper.

The wire is 1/0 copper.

I applied dielectric grease.

If I've done something wrong, I'd appreciate it if someone could let me know.

(Edited for typos)

Attachments

• 16897217544676087747123881555239.jpg
    16897217544676087747123881555239.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Looks like a mighty fine connection to me. Keep a note of the location and down the road a piece, you'll want to check all your connections for tightness.

Negative terminal of battery? What current do you anticipate drawing through it?

Chassis of a vehicle should be fine for moderate loads like lighting and water pump.
For connection of inverter and charge controller to battery, wires are normally used for both positive and negative.

A welded frame or chassis might work with thick enough cross section (steel is 10x the resistance of copper) but not through any bolted joints of the vehicle.

Negative terminal of battery? What current do you anticipate drawing through it?

Chassis of a vehicle should be fine for moderate loads like lighting and water pump.
For connection of inverter and charge controller to battery, wires are normally used for both positive and negative.

A welded frame or chassis might work with thick enough cross section (steel is 10x the resistance of copper) but not through any bolted joints of the vehicle.
Thank you for the reply!

I'm planning on running this cable to the victron lynx distributor bar. The battery bank and inverter will connect to that.

Also I believe the kick plate that I've grounded to is welded to the frame.

Thank you! And that's good advice, thanks
I just took a look at mine (following my own advise) and sure enough, I have a broken connection. The lug used to tie the panel ground to the frame broke. I'll replace it and look to see if I can secure the ground wire to eliminate any physical movement.

Back