diy solar

diy solar

CHINGLISH Battery Bank Setup

AgroVenturesPeru

I have 4 Pylontech US3000 batteries that I'd like to set up in parallel, so I'm reading the manual, but don't understand. I guess I'm going to have to use google translate for Chinglish - English. Also it's hard because I don't know battery lexicon either. The way I understand is that 1 of my 4 batteries that will be on the top of the stack, will need to be designated as the "master" and the other three are the slaves.

What is baud rate? ADD switch? Dip?

0th 1st 2nd?

Pylontech ADD.PNGPYLONTECHDAUB.PNG
the battery manual:

Attachments

• Pylontech US3000.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 11
It also says the Pylontech battery cables are rated for 120A. Does that mean the inverter should be programmed to only discharge battery bank at a maximum of 120A? Or is it ok to allow a higher discharge rate, since I'm using 2 sets of cables as shown below?

Batteries to Busbar.PNG

Busbar to Inverter.PNG

Last edited:
I have 4 Pylontech US3000 batteries that I'd like to set up in parallel, so I'm reading the manual, but don't understand. I guess I'm going to have to use google translate for Chinglish - English. Also it's hard because I don't know battery lexicon either. The way I understand is that 1 of my 4 batteries that will be on the top of the stack, will need to be designated as the "master" and the other three are the slaves.

What is baud rate? ADD switch? Dip?

0th 1st 2nd?

View attachment 49431View attachment 49432
the battery manual:
Baud rate is the symbol rate in serial communication. 9600/115200 are common rates.
DIP is the standard name for the tiny switch boxes as shown in the pic. All of them are proper English. It reminds me of using dial up modem to get online two decades ago though…

I assumed ADD stands for “address”. Basically you need to label your batteries #0 to #3 and set the DIP switches accordingly in binary form. 0=000, 1=001, 2=010, 3=011

Baud rate is the symbol rate in serial communication. 9600/115200 are common rates.
DIP is the standard name for the tiny switch boxes as shown in the pic. All of them are proper English. It reminds me of using dial up modem to get online two decades ago though…
But what is that in layman's terms?
---

the manual states:

You can connect multiple battery modules together to form a single large battery by connecting the RJ-45 cable supplied by Pylontech using the link ports on the battery. This is shown in more detail in the example wiring diagram and Pylontech manual....

...The batteries will automatically detect and link to each other, no adjustment of dip switches on the battery module are necessary. The battery with the empty link port 0 is the master battery.

The part that had me confused was regarding the dip switches. The Victron-Pylontech Compatibility Manual published by Victron says:

You can connect multiple battery modules together to form a single large battery by connecting the RJ-45 cable supplied by Pylontech using the link ports on the battery. This is shown in more detail in the example wiring diagram and Pylontech manual. The communications for UP2500 can be paralleled up to 20 modules per string (and cannot use the LV-HUB). Other models can connect up to 8 battery modules (see Pylontech data sheets), in those models when using more than 8 parallel units, some limitations, additional configuration or equipment (e.g. Pylontech LV-Hub) may apply. See your Pylontech dealer, and Pylontech documentation for more details. The batteries will automatically detect and link to each other, no adjustment of dip switches on the battery module are necessary.

But I've also seen a video on youtube from a solar company using Pylontech batteries with the same exact inverter and CerboGX. In the video, they show their technician switching the last dip switch to the down position on the master battery. I commented on their video asking to explain why they did that, and I just received a canned-response non-answer.

Have just taken delivery of 3 US5000 and have the exact same issue. The manual is incomprehensible in places and doesn't explicitly tell you how the DIP switches should be set for the salve batteries.
DIP 3&4 appear to have no function at all.

I *think* I just need to set DIP 1 for the inverter baud rate and leave the other three set at 0.

It also says the Pylontech battery cables are rated for 120A. Does that mean the inverter should be programmed to only discharge battery bank at a maximum of 120A? Or is it ok to allow a higher discharge rate, since I'm using 2 sets of cables as shown below?

The document said the max charge/discharge rate is 74A. Don’t exceed that.

That's per battery.

Pulling from two cables, you could get up to 120A x 2 = 240A, if current splits evenly.
A fuse on each cable would protect in case 120A was exceeded.
It won't exactly balance, of course, so after measuring imbalance you could program a max draw with further margin below 240A to ensure no fuses blown. Remember continuous draw through a thermal fuse or breaker shouldn't exceed 80% of rating. I read that magnetic/hydraulic can be used up to 100%.

If each battery's BMS protects against continuous draw over 74A, that is probably sufficient for enforcing its limit. keep system maximum current low enough to avoid tripping BMS. The split probably varies as each battery passes through knee of charge curve. If you are able to log all readings while draining at moderately heavy current, that should help determine max that can be drawn at any SoC. I would guess it also depends on SoC differences driven by previous recharge current and voltage.

Connecting four batteries in parallel and tapping the ends will be less perfect balancing of current draw. More important for lead-acid which you would want to recharge equally. For Lithium, impact will be on maximum current that bank can produce.

Two batteries in parallel, another two batteries in parallel, those two pairs paralleled by diagonally opposite corners. That pack of four connected by diagonally opposite corners (in your case, maybe two pairs of cables each tapping a different diagonally opposite pair of corners. Confirm this results in every battery seeing same resistance, and cables carrying 1x, 2x, 4x battery current have a twin on the other polarity circuit.)

Have just taken delivery of 3 US5000 and have the exact same issue. The manual is incomprehensible in places and doesn't explicitly tell you how the DIP switches should be set for the salve batteries.
DIP 3&4 appear to have no function at all.

I *think* I just need to set DIP 1 for the inverter baud rate and leave the other three set at 0.
Beware of their after-sales support. You've been warned. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/d...ic-distributor-novum-solar.21047/#post-577829

Back