diy solar

diy solar

Code Gurus.

My dad build a work bench in front of the main panel 50+ years ago.
That's existing.
As long as you don't change anything about it, it's grandfathered in. And not part of the current project.

You'd also need to check the clearance specs of the device, each is different and usually depends on if it has fans. BTW, I had an inverter space problem and solved it with microinverters. Bonus, no noise. ; -)

Luckily, the Sol-Ark 15K only needs 2“ as fans blow out top, intake on bottom.

• The requirements outlined in this article are based on the 2011 edition of the NEC.
    [*]Where used for battery interconnections, flexible cables identified for hard-service use and moisture resistant as identified in Art. 400 must be a minimum size of 2/0 AWG. You can use flexible cables only between the battery terminals to a nearby junction box (where they must connect to an approved wiring method) or between batteries and cells within the battery enclosure [690.74].
Is this applicable? Do I need 2/0 or larger between my rack batteries?

No, the size of the wire is based on the current it will carry. Plus a little headroom. Of course bigger is better. But at some point it gets a bit silly.

I don't have the 2011 NEC, but that section no longer exists in 2017 and later. What 2017 says is you can use conductors 2/0 or larger [in contrevention of chapter 400].

Article 400 has this fine print note that helps explain part of the logic:
Flexible cords and flexible cables, because of the nature of their use, are not considered to be wiring methods, which are covered in chapter 3. A review of 400.10, Uses Permitted, and 400.12, Uses Not Permitted, is necessary before choosing flexible cords or flexible cables for a specific application. the flexible cords and flexible cables referred to in Article 400 are not limited to use with portable equipment.

Since the cables are permanent in a code context, this is basically what allows the cables to not be in conduit if sufficiently protected and properly rated for use.

Thanks. Trying to make sure I am up to code before I start cutting cable.

Also, I know DC needs to be in metal conduit, but read AC out of an inverter also needs to be in metal?
If you run DC input PV system conductors and AC inverter output conductors inside a building or structure, run them in metal raceway, Type MC cable, or metal enclosure [690.31(E)]

Is that correct? I was planning on using PVC conduit from inverter to main breaker panel.

Last edited:
AC doesn't have to be in metal. It just has to be a cable type that is rated for the location it's installed in.
Metal is just universal because it's rated for almost everywhere.

Nice.
So, a maximum of 6" deep trough will meet code.
What if your panel is flush mount? How many inches can a trough come out from the wall underneath it. I was going to use a trough to 1)wire up a critical loads panel (not flush mount) including extending 10 circuits to new panel panel from main 2) wire inverter and components/etc into same trough.

What if your panel is flush mount? How many inches can a trough come out from the wall underneath it. I was going to use a trough to 1)wire up a critical loads panel (not flush mount) including extending 10 circuits to new panel panel from main 2) wire inverter and components/etc into same trough.
It's measured from the face, no matter how it's mounted. It used to be 2".then for one stupid code rotation, it was 0". In the 2023 code, it will be 6".

It's measured from the face, no matter how it's mounted. It used to be 2".then for one stupid code rotation, it was 0". In the 2023 code, it will be 6".
So Before 2023 is adopted by my state, I can only have something come out 2” from main panel (flush in my case)? If that’s the case I’d need to run a 2” deep j-box from flush mount main panel to surface mount subpanel? I guess from sub panel I can have a 6” trough due to depth of sub panel on surface mount? I have more room to have a trough.

So Before 2023 is adopted by my state, I can only have something come out 2” from main panel (flush in my case)? If that’s the case I’d need to run a 2” deep j-box from flush mount main panel to surface mount subpanel? I guess from sub panel I can have a 6” trough due to depth of sub panel on surface mount? I have more room to have a trough.
Correct
But, some inspectors aren't as picky. And understand that as long as you can easily work on the equipment. It won't be a problem.
But, if you don't know your inspector. You have to plan for the worst case.

Usually I would call an inspector and ask if they are ok with the provisional code change allowing something, and then send a confirming email to them for the record. 90% are usually ok without issue, 5% want some other update enforced as well, and 5% say no.

Back