diy solar

diy solar

Coffee Maker

HARG Hunter

Thirsty for Off-Grid Knowledge
Forgive me if you are on all of the different Facebook DIY Solar sites etc and saw my request for this already...

I've done a good job at our new cabin of selecting all low wattage LED lights etc...

The 1 guilty pleasure we would really like to pull off is a coffee maker.
We already have a Coleman gas-stove camping style coffee maker, but it takes forever to make a pot of coffee.

Hoping to find a coffee pot that can get it done with under 1000 watts if possible.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

I hope you don't mind me hanging out to watch what info comes out of this one? i'm sort of in the same boat. However, in my case i'm trying to learn how much of a hit my battery bank would take if i run my Keurig... it peaks at around 1500W when it heats up. I run a 24V system with a Battery Bank of 150Ah or 165Ah. I can run the generator but i would prefer to keep it nice and quiet for early morning fishing when my wife is still in bed?

I have a Keurig at home as well. Used my meter and it peaked at 1300w and settled in at 200-300 once it started brewing.
I am in the exact same boat as you with the exception that this is a hunting cabin, so we prefer not to run the generator during hunting season. I know a coffee maker is an energy hog, just hoping to just find a maker that uses the minimum.

Forgive me if you are on all of the different Facebook DIY Solar sites etc and saw my request for this already...

I've done a good job at our new cabin of selecting all low wattage LED lights etc...

We already have a Coleman gas-stove camping style coffee maker, but it takes forever to make a pot of coffee.

Hoping to find a coffee pot that can get it done with under 1000 watts if possible.

French press is the only way to go. You just have to heat the water to 180 or so, just until a ring of bubbles appear around the edge. Pour over the grounds of your choice, stir and press. Best ever. There is no substitute for a good cup of coffee in the woods.

I just ran a test on our induction teapot. Two cups of water took 40 Watthours to 180 degrees and total of 50 Watthours to 212 boiling. I didn't check the surge but the time seemed like a minute or two at the most.

The mainstays brand 5 cup at Walmart uses 600 watts for 7-8 minutes and the base heater uses less than 30 watts. I fill it to the over flow holes in the back and it's closer to 6 cups (6oz cups). I also have the Black and Decker 5 cup version but it has no heater so by the time I want my second cup (6 cups=2 of mine) it's warm at best. I like our Keurig, but more often than not I want more than 10oz of coffee.

Like others have mentioned, there are 10 cup units that will use less than 1000watts, just FYI if you had or wanted a smaller system. That little $10 coffee maker is probably my favorite thing about building an off grid solar power setup for our camper, more than even the air conditioning.

Reactions: Zil
Watts are good to know but how long at that Wattage is the important issue if one want to know how long their battery will last?

I use a stainless steel insulated french press and a hand crank coffee grinder. Best coffee I've ever made.

0 Watts.

And I do this at home with plenty of on grid electricity available.

Propane. Nat gas at home.

But good point. Heating water takes energy.

If you were to use electricity, then a french press and an electric tea kettle would be the most efficient. That way you don't keep heating the water once it comes to a boil.

Last edited:

Dare I say this uses 0 watts? Excluding heating the water of course.....

It does however make a fantastic cup of coffee :)

I use a jetboil a lot and I’ve always wondered how much impact the neoprene jacket has on the energy used. I figure it has to make some difference due to the reduction in heat lost during boiling.

I like electric kettles because they automatically switch off. I keep meaning to make a neoprene jacket for one and measure the watts to test to see if it does make a noticeable power difference

Back