diy solar

diy solar

Coffee Maker

No first hand knowledge, but if we want to get Mr Google involved...
So, seems like they're out there.
...cowboy coffee...
My wife & I were taking a multiday class long ago and one of the agenda items was to demonstrate our proficiency by doing all the provisioning/cooking. In the morning our instructor invited us to have some of his "cowboy coffee" (grounds boiled in water - guess he didn't trust us and brought his own supplies). We said no thanks, and invited him to some our gourmet coffee. The wife loves to cook and you sure don't want to mess with her coffee. I doubt our instructor ever ate so well while giving that course; what she could do with the limited items available was amazing.

Found a winner. Walmart Mainstays (Thanks Austan). I went with the 12 cup model, and it peaked at 893w, but for the most part stayed steady between 875w and 880w. Took approx 10 minutes to brew 12 cups. I can handle chewing up 90w to make a pot of coffee no problem.

Not bad for a $10.73 investment.

Attachments

• 20200728_171300.jpg
    20200728_171300.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 17
150 watt hours for 72oz. of coffee. You'll get that back in an hour of sunlight on your 200 watts of panels, and you get to feel like a king in the woods having your electric coffee pot while camping. Enjoy friend!

150 watt hours for 72oz. of coffee. You'll get that back in an hour of sunlight on your 200 watts of panels, and you get to feel like a king in the woods having your electric coffee pot while camping. Enjoy friend!

Almost sounds like sarcasm but you recommended it so I'll take this as genuine! lol

Believe it or not, we live really rough at our cabin during hunting season.
No running water, no shower... A quick, fresh pot of coffee can make a real difference.
This new cabin we're building will make life much better there, including a quick pot of coffee instead of waiting 25 minutes.
Still no running water, and we're working on a shower system (Rain collection barrel with gravity feed and battery operated shower).
No replacement for a quick pot of coffee! Thanks again!

No sarcasm here. I'm right there with you. I have been spending time this year rebuilding a 24x24 hunting cabin on a small piece of land our group purchased. Our previous one was torn down some years back and was 12x24 for 6 guys, no water, no power, just gas lights and a gas stove, hand pump well, and outhouse so this one will be a welcome change.
I put myself in charge of "quality of life" for this project so we'll have running water with a 275 gallon repurposed food grade tank, as much power as I can make to run water pump, lights, tv, microwave, coffee pot, ceiling fans, and even a window unit air conditioner during certain parts of the year. We still will not have a shower and the outhouse is still in use, but someday I expect we will add on and at that time do a well/ septic.

No sarcasm here. I'm right there with you. I have been spending time this year rebuilding a 24x24 hunting cabin on a small piece of land our group purchased. Our previous one was torn down some years back and was 12x24 for 6 guys, no water, no power, just gas lights and a gas stove, hand pump well, and outhouse so this one will be a welcome change.
I put myself in charge of "quality of life" for this project so we'll have running water with a 275 gallon repurposed food grade tank, as much power as I can make to run water pump, lights, tv, microwave, coffee pot, ceiling fans, and even a window unit air conditioner during certain parts of the year. We still will not have a shower and the outhouse is still in use, but someday I expect we will add on and at that time do a well/ septic.

Almost sounds identical to our situation. Current cabin is 16x18 for 5 guys.
Outhouse, Propane lights, stove and furnace.
New cabin will be 24x36. Solar power with an inlet installed for running with a generator when it's not hunting season.
I'm framing in a bathroom and will eventually ad a compost toilet. We'll still use the outhouse in the summer, but it'll be nice using the compost toilet when it's zero or below zero outside.

We have a 55 gallon barrel for rain water collection. I have a bromine floater in there from an old hot tub so the water will be keep bacteria free. We'll use that for the make-shift shower and for washing hands etc...not for drinking.

Good times!

Where do you get the 3000 psi of pressure?
Little sarcasm. I heat water using the Lpg RV stove I purchased from a RV salvage, for a couple hundreds. Great investment for the cabin. Heats water fast, and can cook bacon, biscuits and eggs at the same time.

Coffee snob here. I usually have 60+ pounds of GREEN coffee in the house, roast my own a pound at a time.

I promise you, you will not be able to make a better cup of coffee than what $30 worth of plastic can do: https://aeropress.com/
So fire up a cheap propane burner and boil up a teapot!

Little sarcasm. I heat water using the Lpg RV stove I purchased from a RV salvage, for a couple hundreds. Great investment for the cabin. Heats water fast, and can cook bacon, biscuits and eggs at the same time.
We do have an LPG stove. 4 burners. We do a lot of cooking, but it just takes too long to brew coffee.
When we get up in the morning to hunt, we just want the luxury of getting it brewed quickly. Personal choice I guess.

We do have an LPG stove. 4 burners. We do a lot of cooking, but it just takes too long to brew coffee.
When we get up in the morning to hunt, we just want the luxury of getting it brewed quickly. Personal choice I guess.
I totally understand the camp percolator issue, I just use mine to heat the water, then I use a press to finish off the process.. only about 5 mins to boil water, at 1760ft. then I'm 30 seconds away from an exceptional cup, a slow press is key to not having a few grounds pass through the screen.

I have a 5 cup maker that I think is about 600 watts. I run it off of a 750 watt 12v inverter. I my normal use for it is when on the road, driving all night. 15 minutes at a rest stop and I have good coffee, where at a truck stop at 2AM, who knows what you will get. I open the hood to connect to the battery. I keep some small Styrofoam cups on hand so when someone comes over and asks, "Are you having trouble?", I can say, "No, you want some fresh coffee?" It is always a hit. It is also good in the deer woods as you can have coffee even when you are not at your camp.

Forgive me if you are on all of the different Facebook DIY Solar sites etc and saw my request for this already...

I've done a good job at our new cabin of selecting all low wattage LED lights etc...

The 1 guilty pleasure we would really like to pull off is a coffee maker.
We already have a Coleman gas-stove camping style coffee maker, but it takes forever to make a pot of coffee.

Hoping to find a coffee pot that can get it done with under 1000 watts if possible.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
How about a 1 cup coffee maker to get you started while you wait for the pot? Mine runs around 1350W for about a minute or so. Got it for $60 20 years ago. I've seen them going for $100 or less. This does not include grinding, which I only run for 7 seconds for a cup.

How about a 1 cup coffee maker to get you started while you wait for the pot? Mine runs around 1350W for about a minute or so. Got it for $60 20 years ago. I've seen them going for $100 or less. This does not include grinding, which I only run for 7 seconds for a cup.

I tested my Keurig at home, and 1350 is about what I got too.
Right now we are maxed out at 1000w, thus the need for something below that.

EDIT: Found a 700 watt K-Cup brewer:

Keurig K-Cup In Room Brewing System​

Has anyone used this? Seems to be the lowest wattage K-Cup brewer and the only down side is no reusable cups. Should draw about 60 amps on my 12 volt solar setup.

Last edited:
I use the mainstay 5 cup from Walmart. I turn it off when finished brewing and put the coffee in a Thermos.

Back