diy solar

diy solar

Coffee Maker

I thought most people in the back woods just re-purposed one of their old stills to make coffee. LOL (most serious back woods folks just start drinking shine again in the morning and just skip the coffee)

FYI, I roast all my own coffee. Green beans keep forever without refrigeration, roasted beans do not. Worse yet are the roasted and pre-ground coffee's sold in stores. Now all though I use an electric roaster that was made for that purpose, lots of folks have used air poppers to roast coffee beans. I personally don't like the results of air poppers. The old cowboys had been known to roast beans in a cast iron fry pan over a fire, a bit tricky but in a pinch it works. Grinding can be done in a hand grinder or a electric grinder sold about anywhere. Best to grind no more than 15 minutes before making the coffee for best flavor. Also, freshly roasted coffee beans need to sit for at least 8 hours before using them. Peak flavor is in about 2 & 1/2 days, and it goes downhill from then. I generally only roast enough for a week at a time.

Any of the "pour over" methods will give the best coffee. Stove percolators butcher a pot of coffee, and most electric types that don't percolate or heat from the bottom like a percolator do OK. There are lots of modern coffee makers under 1Kw too.

For the green coffee beans, supplies and some roasting equipment I have been using an outfit called Sweet Maria's. So far so good for quite a few years. There are lots of other suppliers too, and I used to go to a local roaster and get bulk beans years ago.

I'm as big a coffee snob as you find, roasting my own beans and a have a commercial espresso machine on the kitchen counter, but when I'm off grid it usually means there's fish that need catching. No time for all that messing around. Boil the water on the stove and dump it in the thermos with some instant Maxwell House and I'm out the door.

I find the fish are easier to catch when I've had a good cup of coffee, sitting down to a nice breakfast. I know there are rhythms to optimal times to catch the fish but I'm in no hurry. I'm a shore fisherman, so the less I carry the easier it is.

I find the fish are easier to catch when I've had a good cup of coffee, sitting down to a nice breakfast. I know there are rhythms to optimal times to catch the fish but I'm in no hurry. I'm a shore fisherman, so the less I carry the easier it is.
Be careful about those coffee and fish tales. LOL The right coffee can make a difference and the fish seem to know. I once caught a fourteen pound crappie after having some of my good custom roasted coffee.

Hey Guys!

What is the best
available coffee maker with a thermal carafe nowadays?

I'm using a Canadian brand Oster Coffee maker which is exactly the same product as the Mr. Coffee brand which I believe is sold in the US. I have been using it now foe several years, and I have had a replacement one since last Winter. I recently noticed a strong plastic smell from the water container and I strongly suspect that it contains BPA. I want to discard the product for my health sake and I'm looking for a dependable replacement that makes good tasting coffee. I like dark roasted coffee as is, black without any sweetener.

I have been looking on the web through Google and I got several different recommendations as we usually find when we do such research. Two brands that frequently best coffee maker under 100 dollars come out in the several lists of recommendations are ZOJIRUSHI and NINJA. I know that Zojirushi mentions that their water container is free of BPA, but I'm not so sure about the Ninja product. Of course, reliability is also important.

So, would any of you, coffee lovers, have a recommendation for a reliable product that makes good tasting coffee? Your comments would be appreciated.
jura coffee makers are in the top 3

My wife & I were taking a multiday class long ago and one of the agenda items was to demonstrate our proficiency by doing all the provisioning/cooking. In the morning our instructor invited us to have some of his "cowboy coffee" (grounds boiled in water - guess he didn't trust us and brought his own supplies). We said no thanks, and invited him to some our gourmet coffee. The wife loves to cook and you sure don't want to mess with her coffee. I doubt our instructor ever ate so well while giving that course; what she could do with the limited items available was amazing.
Found this earlier post.

I thought the real secret for the "Cowboy Coffee" was to put in a pinch of gunpowder along with the coffee in the pot. In the old days in the plains where there was no wood, the fire to heat the coffee and cook with was made from buffalo chips! Yea, and they cooked their meat that way too. Talk about smoked meat! Yikes!

The only electricity available then was lightning. (which actually IS from solar energy.....LOL. Mother natures solar panel) It has been remarked that during a lightning storm with bolts of lighting crashing all around, all the cowboys had to be high up on horseback riding in the middle of the heard and even singing to keep the cattle heard calm. That was the ONLY time they ever refrained from thier otherwise constant cursing and profanity.

I thought most people in the back woods just re-purposed one of their old stills to make coffee. LOL (most serious back woods folks just start drinking shine again in the morning and just skip the coffee)

FYI, I roast all my own coffee. Green beans keep forever without refrigeration, roasted beans do not. Worse yet are the roasted and pre-ground coffee's sold in stores. Now all though I use an electric roaster that was made for that purpose, lots of folks have used air poppers to roast coffee beans. I personally don't like the results of air poppers. The old cowboys had been known to roast beans in a cast iron fry pan over a fire, a bit tricky but in a pinch it works. Grinding can be done in a hand grinder or a electric grinder sold about anywhere. Best to grind no more than 15 minutes before making the coffee for best flavor. Also, freshly roasted coffee beans need to sit for at least 8 hours before using them. Peak flavor is in about 2 & 1/2 days, and it goes downhill from then. I generally only roast enough for a week at a time.

Any of the "pour over" methods will give the best coffee. Stove percolators butcher a pot of coffee, and most electric types that don't percolate or heat from the bottom like a percolator do OK. There are lots of modern coffee makers under 1Kw too.

For the green coffee beans, supplies and some roasting equipment I have been using an outfit called Sweet Maria's. So far so good for quite a few years. There are lots of other suppliers too, and I used to go to a local roaster and get bulk beans years ago.
thank you so much for your suggestion

Back