diy solar

diy solar

Combiner Box for (16) 450W Panels?

JBoffgrid2022

Hello All,
Looking for a combiner box for my 16 450W panels. They are wired 4s4p and currently enter a four string DC isolator. I have found the following box and think it will work but wanted to double check this. (https://watts247.com/product/solar-panel-combiner-box-4-circuits-to-2/)

My intention was to bring these four strings into a combiner box. The four PV strings have an output of 176volts @ 10.2 amps for each string.

My EG4 6000XP inverter will accept two strings for a combined max input of 8000watts / 480v / 16amps. After my four strings go into this combiner box, I would have two strings entering the inverter. To my understanding, that would equate to the following:
2 Strings x 176 volts x 20.4 amps (Combiner box is stacking the amps from each string and keeping the voltage the same)

My biggest question is this: By having the four strings enter the combiner box, will I be sending too much amperage into the inverter?

The optimal amps is 17 but it will go as high as 25 amps before clipping occurs which is common when over paneling a mppt, many will over panel due to the fact that panels normally only put out about 80% of rated power.

so in your setup you shouldn’t have any issues

Gotcha, thank you! Just needed to make sure how the combiner box actually handled the voltage and amperage.

In an ideal world, yes. But that would require me to get on the 12/12 pitch metal roof and dismantle the array to be able to access the wiring....That would be a worse case scenario.
Do you already have access to 4S4P wiring? If so you then I believe you reconfigure your array to 8S right there.

Ok. That makes sense. But.... can this be done safely? Do you have a good method of connecting the strings together without the risk of getting shocked? I currently have all four strings going into a D/C isolator. I could safely connect the output strings together with the power off. Would I use a buss bar to connect them or other means?

Last edited:
Do you have a good method of connecting the strings together without the risk of getting shocked?
Work at night or with the panels covered.
Would I use a buss bar to connect them or other means?
What are on the ends of the wires? If MC4, just connect one string to the other (presumably your connectors are correct so it would only be possible to connect in series, + to -).

Back