diy solar

diy solar

Complete guide for 48V using EG4 18k

What kind of DC Disconnects are you guys using between your battery bank and your 18Ks? Since I'm going to leave the old system in place to use as a backup, I won't be using the Naders that I got from SS that are in the box below the smaller trough.

Just trying to decide where to locate it, and if you guys are just disconnecting the positive or both the positive and the negative leads?

1697303989681.png

I was thinking of maybe getting a 250A version of this guy:

1697304217829.png

Just not sure if a large 4/0 cable lug would fit in there.

Also, for the MCCBs, I don't know if they can be mounted directly to the wall or if they're supposed to be in a J-Box - figured I could just put it in the trough, but if I did that, it'd be a bit of a pain since I'd need to remove the wireway cover to turn off the breaker.

Is your goal NEC compliance or personal convenience?
You have a breaker for the battery on the inverter and breakers on all of your batteries, so why do you need another one?

Is your goal NEC compliance or personal convenience?
You have a breaker for the battery on the inverter and breakers on all of your batteries, so why do you need another one?

I would say both NEC and personal convenience :)

In this particular case, I'd rather just flip a single switch to disconnect the battery bank, especially if I were to add several more batteries.

My Bypass / Disconnect switch made it in earlier than expected. ?

I ended up putting it where I wanted to put the second 18K, but I'm also not sure if i'll ever get one, so I figured i'd just put the switch there for now.

1697396312944.png

1697396362905.png

1697396450593.png

I have a few things wired up temporarily, like the TIGO power supply, and I'm using the Morris taps to feed both the inverter and the bypass switch, but I ordered another 70A breaker per @pvgirl s recommendation to separate the breakers that feed the inverter and the bypass switch. It makes sense to do that anyhow in case I wanted to replace the whole inverter. If power was split like I have in the temp setup, I'd still have live AC wires connected to the inverter, so it makes sense to spend the extra $75 or so to make it code compliant and easier to replace, IMO.

As always, if someone sees anything out of place or that they'd change, please let me know.

My Bypass / Disconnect switch made it in earlier than expected. ?

I ended up putting it where I wanted to put the second 18K, but I'm also not sure if i'll ever get one, so I figured i'd just put the switch there for now.

View attachment 172411

View attachment 172412

View attachment 172413

I have a few things wired up temporarily, like the TIGO power supply, and I'm using the Morris taps to feed both the inverter and the bypass switch, but I ordered another 70A breaker per @pvgirl s recommendation to separate the breakers that feed the inverter and the bypass switch. It makes sense to do that anyhow in case I wanted to replace the whole inverter. If power was split like I have in the temp setup, I'd still have live AC wires connected to the inverter, so it makes sense to spend the extra $75 or so to make it code compliant and easier to replace, IMO.

As always, if someone sees anything out of place or that they'd change, please let me know.
The location of that 18Kpv is wrong. It should be at my house. ?

This is an offgrid design I recently helped someone do:

View attachment 161427

Hey, I'm new here and to solar in general. I'm looking at building an off grid,15KV solar array, ground mount pairing with this 18kpv. I want to make sure I can connect 4 of the EG4 power pro batteries. Also my panels could be 350 ft away from the inverter. It looks like #10 PV wire is still OK for that distance. I'm looking at 405W SEG bi-facial panels 36 maybe 40 panels. I'm in southern Ohio and I'll be lucky to get 4 hrs of sun in winter. I want ease of use and I'm on a budget! Any advice or observations are appreciated

Hey, I'm new here and to solar in general. I'm looking at building an off grid,15KV solar array, ground mount pairing with this 18kpv. I want to make sure I can connect 4 of the EG4 power pro batteries. Also my panels could be 350 ft away from the inverter. It looks like #10 PV wire is still OK for that distance. I'm looking at 405W SEG bi-facial panels 36 maybe 40 panels. I'm in southern Ohio and I'll be lucky to get 4 hrs of sun in winter. I want ease of use and I'm on a budget! Any advice or observations are appreciated

One tip I can give you since you mentioned you were on a budget, if you aren't 100% set on panels; I've been talking to the regional manager at SolarEver, he'll sell you a whole pallet of their new Asia line of 410w panels (made in Cambodia) for I believe $182 or $186/panel, with free shipping. I only needed 16 panels though, so as great of a deal as it was, I didn't want to store the extra 20. I bought 10 of last year's version of their 410w panels from Signature Solar and they've been awesome. I also have REC Alpha 400s, but those were $400/panel and as a DIYer..it's hard to justify paying that. If one of the SolarEvers dies, I'll just swap it out. So far though, they've been producing more than the REC Alphas, and because the voltage per panel is lower, you can get more on a string. Just something to consider. If interested, let me know and i'll forward you his info.

Last edited:
One tip I can give you since you mentioned you were on a budget, if you aren't 100% set on panels; I've been talking to the regional manager at SolarEver, he'll sell you a whole pallet of their new Asia line of 410w panels (made in Cambodia) for I believe $182 or $186/panel, with free shipping. I only needed 16 panels though, so as great of a deal as it was, I didn't want to store the extra 20. I bought 10 of last year's version of their 410w panels from Signature Solar and they've been awesome. I also have REC Alpha 400s, but those were $400/panel and as a DIYer..it's hard to justify paying that. If one of the SolarEvers dies, I'll just swap it out. So far though, they've been producing more than the REC Alphas, and because the voltage per panel is lower, you can get more on a string. Just something to consider. If interested, let me know and i'll forward you his info.
Thanks for the info. I’m hoping SEG panels hold up. I bought a pallet plus 10 of the 405W bifacial. I think those were $180ish. Now I’m just trying to figure out how to put it all together.

Folks. One thing about the 'simpler' diagram is that I should have shown the AC disconnect as a fused disconnect.

View attachment 163143

Another point is that the EG4 diagram shows a transfer switch. The transfer switch is a handy addition that allows you to bypass the inverter for maintenance.
can you do another diagram with 2 eg4 18kw units? Thanks!

can you do another diagram with 2 eg4 18kw units? Thanks!
Here ya go

Edit: Added neutral between utility meter and disconnect.

1699673899419.png

Notes:
1) The Master inverter is the central hub for ground and neutral. This avoids loops
2) I have not built this. I am sure I would find things to do differently if I did.
3) I showed all the PV going to one inverter because that was easier to draw. I would probably split the panels between the two inverters.

Last edited:
Here ya go

View attachment 176792

Notes:
1) The Master inverter is the central hub for ground and neutral. This avoids loops
2) I have not built this. I am sure I would find things to do differently if I did.
3) I showed all the PV going to one inverter because that was easier to draw. I would probably split the panels between the two inverters.
Thank you! One additional question; the eg4 manual says to use 60 amp breakers to feed the grid to each inverter—is there any reason I can’t use 100 amp breakers? And how do you ever get true 200 amp pass through to the main panel if the manual has you using 60 amp breakers to the grid inputs?

Thank you! One additional question; the eg4 manual says to use 60 amp breakers to feed the grid to each inverter—is there any reason I can’t use 100 amp breakers? And how do you ever get true 200 amp pass through to the main panel if the manual has you using 60 amp breakers to the grid inputs?
Keep reading or pick a different wiring method. Screenshot_20231109_072724_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

Talking about the panel in the eg4 manual that is the grid feed, not the main or sub panel on the load side.
Provide a link, screen shot or page number.

How do you plan on using the 18Kpv? Several wiring methods are restricted to 60 amps but some methods aren't.

Provide a link, screen shot or page number.

How do you plan on using the 18Kpv? Several wiring methods are restricted to 60 amps but some methods aren't.
Diagram 4.5 on page 35.

I'm still working through the plan. Ideally I'd like to use 2 coupled eg4s hooked to my main panel and hooked to my 60kw of lithium batteries and my newer 40kw array as the whole house backup, then have a third eg4 hooked to my older batteries and my older solar panel setup as an ac coupled setup wired into the generator input of the coupled eg4s. I can't get a definitive answer on whether I can use a single eg4 18kw hooked to a different battery bank as the inverter for an ac coupled setup. Plus, I don't know if it's ok with that setup to use a tap from the grid to feed both the coupled eg4s and the ac coupled eg4. I've had an electrician out and a pretty savvy solar consultant out, and they are both doing homework on what is doable.

I don't know if that is viable however, and may just setup the secondary eg4 on an entirely separate meter (I have 2 200 amp meters at the farm) and feed a separate load box that only covers barn/mother in law house.

Diagram 4.5 on page 35.

I'm still working through the plan. Ideally I'd like to use 2 coupled eg4s hooked to my main panel and hooked to my 60kw of lithium batteries and my newer 40kw array as the whole house backup, then have a third eg4 hooked to my older batteries and my older solar panel setup as an ac coupled setup wired into the generator input of the coupled eg4s. I can't get a definitive answer on whether I can use a single eg4 18kw hooked to a different battery bank as the inverter for an ac coupled setup. Plus, I don't know if it's ok with that setup to use a tap from the grid to feed both the coupled eg4s and the ac coupled eg4. I've had an electrician out and a pretty savvy solar consultant out, and they are both doing homework on what is doable.

I don't know if that is viable however, and may just setup the secondary eg4 on an entirely separate meter (I have 2 200 amp meters at the farm) and feed a separate load box that only covers barn/mother in law house.
And thank you so much for the replies!

Diagram 4.5 on page 35.

You could run all three 18kpv in parallel, with the 3rd having the configuration option set for a separate battery bank, if your battery banks are dramatically different sizes I would consult with eg4 support on this configuration.

Ok, thanks. So only way to get the 200 amps to the inverter is by tapping the incoming line and feeding directly to the inverter's grid input, correct?
I installed a 200 amp transfer switch and came from the meter straight to it. I changed out the 2 single lugs where the meter lands for doubles lugs. I then set up a new Trailer house panel (Grid Panel) with the meter wires on the double lugs installed. The trailer house panel gives you a 200 amp passthrough that is protected by the main breaker. Thats if you want to run 200amps straight to the inverter. Or you can put a 100 amp breaker in that panel or whatever you want to do.

https://www.amazon.com/Morris-Produ...15&sprefix=4/0+double+lug,aps,122&sr=8-3&th=1

You could run all three 18kpv in parallel, with the 3rd having the configuration option set for a separate battery bank, if your battery banks are dramatically different sizes I would consult with eg4 support on this configuration.
The primary battery bank is 60kw of lifepower4 lithium batteries, the other is 40kw of AGM batteries. For some reason I thought I couldn't parallel eg4s if one was running a different battery bank with different voltages etc.

diy solar

diy solar
Back