diy solar

diy solar

Compress or not, flexible busbar or not

The problem is is the pre-made bus bars for these cells are designed for the cells to be kept in a fixture because they do not allow you to give enough room between cells to prevent them from touching and then putting stress on the terminals. You would need to make your own busbars or the premade ones would have to have an additional hole. Use 2nd hole if cells are in fixture and can't move or 3rd hole which would be further out if you are allowing the appropriate amount of space between cells and therefore need to have more room. You can see in pic below there simply isn't even room to add additional hole since the busbar is too short:
Screenshot 2023-04-19 at 5.19.02 PM.png

Last edited:
Do you differentiate between true cell compression and what would be more of a fixture frame that presses the cells together for mobile and RV applications. Or would those b essentially 1 in the same from a design, concept and execution point of view.
Is it a good take that for a fixed inverter size, one is better with two or three battery strings, rather than just one. Less current in each string of cells.
Easier with 3 banks to always stay under 0.5 C in and out.

Is it a good take that for a fixed inverter size, one is better with two or three battery strings, rather than just one. Less current in each string of cells.
Easier with 3 banks to always stay under 0.5 C in and out.
That is what I did, started with 2 banks 16S S168 and then added a third S16 EVE F105.
There is .08" rubberized sheet between each EVE cells and end plates. The threaded rod nuts are torqued low just to hold everything together.
3 Racks.jpg

Last edited:
What damn outfit won't even let you view product without a login. Easy way to lose business. Idiots will never learn.
Are you talking about McMaster? I just tried the link and it worked fine with no login.

I don't understand your post. The product shows up just fine for me in the first link.

They do require you to log in to make an order. Alternatively, I think you can call them and place an order by phone.

Do you have a specific question about Poron foam?
Just consider that McMaster has already compromised your p.c. with a cookie. If I don't allow them to do that with my making an account they won't allow me to even shop. You must have an account with them from the past. This corporate mentality deserves to be punished. I don't wish to offend you of course.

Just consider that McMaster has already compromised your p.c. with a cookie. If I don't allow them to do that with my making an account they won't allow me to even shop. You must have an account with them from the past. This corporate mentality deserves to be punished. I don't wish to offend you of course.
I'm confused.
I run a private browser and a VPN, I have no issues opening the link above.

Edit - disabled all cookies, not just 3rd party and the page won't load...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230725-165047.jpg
    Screenshot_20230725-165047.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 3
The company I work at does this too.
I mentioned this to the sales department but it fell on deaf ears.
If I can’t explore a site without enabling cookies, I’m out of there. A large percentage of people just don’t want more emails or junk in the system.

well I must say reading this thread hurt my brain, and for a good 20 pages or more people seam to not understand we are dealing with gas expansion not liquid expansion so now if compressed properly there will not be the movement people think as if the volume doesn't change with a gas then pressure and temp go up. if eve is telling me I can clamp it at such a force and at such a state of charge and temp I am assuming that when I am at 100% state of charge the pressure/temp inside the cell will still be at a safe range and it won't rupture the safety disk. the only thing compression is doing is keep the week middle of the aluminum casing from bulging a bit as it is weaker than the slight rise in pressure

now if it was water expansion from freezing then yes water is a non compressible fluid so you don't have that option for temp and pressure to increase to make up for the volume, what you get is a force/temp increase at a much higher magnitude, which is the principle of hydraulics.

now for a serious question, since we are dealing with air compression and the slight change in volume from a bulge is really minimal in the overall volume of the container, why do people still figure you need to use springs to allow the container to expand, when the whole point is to hold it constant and prevent that bulging is it not?

lets look at what I am getting at

my eve 304 cells are 173.7 x 72 x 207.5 mm so we will round up to make it cleaner and make it into inches to keep the numbers reasonable. so they are approximately ,so 7x8x3, not exactly but close enough so that gives us 168 cubic inches

so if we bulge the faces 2mm on each side it will be a curved surface and not a uniform change so it would be less than the equivalent of 1mm on each size but I'll keep it at 1mm to each side to keep it simple. that will increase the width by 0.04 of an inch so we end up with 170.232 cubic inches so that's a change of 2.24 cubic inches (probably actually less than that if i did the math for the curved surface.. but good enough). so if we left the cells unclamped, or clamped in a system that will still allow the cells to move what will happen is the pressure inside of the cell will remain more constant as the gas temp increases, by compressing them all we are doing is holding the volume ridged which means as there is more off gassing inside the cell the pressure and temperature will go up as the gas compresses but to figure out that difference there are a few things you need to know. the most important is what is the make up of the gas inside the cell as you need that to get some of the information we need. and there is still the problem of the cell not being a empty chamber most of the space is taken up by solids so that reduces the volume we are looking at significantly then we need to know the rate of off gassing there is due to charge rate and temp. its not as simple as people are making it out to be and since eve has given a diagram on how to compress the cell that's what I am going with, now weather its one or 4 or 8 being compressed the force isn't going to change as your not going to get any movement if you do it properly as all you are doing is restraining the containers and the 17inch lbs or what ever the number is... is just the number you can tighten it to before you are putting to much stress on the container and having a negative effect.

so in my mind by using springs or foam that will give you are defeating the purpose of holding the container ridged and not allowing that expansion, so aside from having something that keep them from sliding around in an earthquake what is it really doing? Also from reading, and I may have been reading something wrong so if I am off base let me know, but the compression factor is most important for the initial so many cycles say 4 to 10 is what I have been kind of interpolating, so is their any point aside from holding them still for the busbars after that?

for mine I use them in a mobile application (rv) so yeas I want to hold them together but I also have them clamped so the busbars don't get excessive movement when charging and discharging. All I did is put the little Seperator sheets in-between the cells for a little protection and clamped them between two aluminum plates till they were snug, I would guess around 15 inch lbs in 3 years my original 280AH has never had a bus bar loosen up or anything so its doing the purpose I am using it for.

TL;DR, but it isn't gas expansion either.

The anode, cathode, and electrolyte all change density (and thus volume) as the charge and discharge reactions occur. The lithium ions move from one side to the other and back during a cycle. I'm pretty sure that these volume changes are what drive the internal pressure. Allowing the walls to flex increases the odds of an internal short as tendrils form or the anode and cathode shift towards each other.

Keep in mind also that when this thread started the advice from EVE was to add more than about 8 PSI but less than about 18 PSI (from memory, so nobody beat me up if I'm off a little) on the flat faces of the cells.

The advice these days seems to be to apply about 12 PSI and don't worry about the upper limit. This would tend to negate the use of springs or foam and just use a hard fixture. If I were building my batteries today, that is very likely what I would do.

I've read some of this topic thread, can people confirm to me what the recommended clamping force should be for a 280ah cell in Nm & do you multiply this by 4 cells for a 12v battery pack?
Nm being applied with a small 'bicycle tool' 1/4" drive torque wrench, clamped between 2 suitable metal plates with suitable studding.
Thanks

do you multiply this by 4 cells for a 12v battery pack?
No. The pressure will not compound but will be equivalently distributed across all members of the assembly. They will each experience the mfg’s intended parameters.

They will each experience the mfg’s intended parameters.
You mean that each will experience the same compression force. The intended parameters have nothing to do with the actual force applied.

@obd.tech, using torque on a bolt to apply a specified force is a notoriously pesky way to achieve a known force. The primary factors are surface roughness of the threads on the nut and bolt, the amount of lubrication applied to the threads, and the pitch of the thread selected for the job. If I were planning to do it that way, I would build a test jig and carefully measure the force applied by the fasteners over a range of torques and use that information to estimate the needed torque.

You mean that each will experience the same compression force. The intended parameters have nothing to do with the actual force applied.
No. I meant that if one was configuring to achieve the manufacturer’s recommended compression force- intended parameters- and did so, the resulting force applied would be the same across each in the series of cells. I assumed a bit of inference would be applied 😀

Back