diy solar

diy solar

Conext XW+ inverter with Ford F150 Lightning as generator

hammick

We are off grid. Currently have a 5kw diesel genset connected to AC2 input of my XW5548 with generator support plus enabled. It works perfect. If the well pump kicks on when the wife is using a high power cooking appliance the inverter kicks in so the 30a breaker in the genset doesn't trip.

Enter the Ford Lightning I just purchased that has the Pro Power inverter option. 240v 30 amp plug in the bed of the truck. The Pro Power inverter puts out 7.2kw of pure sine wave power (3.6kw on each leg). So it's no different that a Honda EU7000i (just a lot more expensive).

If I connect the Pro Power to AC2 is there any way the XW+ can back feed any power and damage my truck's inverter? The truck has 30a overcurrent protection and GFI protection. I have all grid tie, sell back, etc options turned off on the XW+ (and I think those options only apply to AC1 anyway).

Generator support is only available on AC2 and I'd like to keep it enabled with the Lightning connected (the XW5548 can surge to 9,500 watts for 1 minute; 9,000 watts for 5 minutes and 7,000 watts for 30 minutes)

A couple of your guys had my attention on the other Lightning thread but I didn't want to derail that thread any further.

For the sake of this discussion let's avoid any talk about the Lightning's bonded neutral (I know how to work around that issue).

Thanks for any advice.

If you have the trucks generator output wired to ac2, and have ac2 configured as generator input.. then the XW will never try to backfeed power to ac2.

That said, I've never tried this with an AC Coupled solution, but I can tell you on a DC coupled setup, no power is sent back to AC2 when configured as generator input, in any situation. (Sending power back into any generator will likely damage it, this isn't solely a concern for your truck)

Back